Distinguished Correspondent
msmoonlite
0 Kudos

Re: NST/NSTwGL to get email client, web browser June 1

keriflur wrote:

bobstro wrote:

keriflur wrote:

[...] Kobo allows some serious font fine-tuning which I'd love to see on the nook.  I don't think we'll get it, though.

Kobo does seem to have taken the lead on innovating in the eink device space. B&N can easily get back in the game. They just have to decide to do it.

*nods enthusiastically*

With no announcement of a new device, and no leaks of anything in the works to offset concerns that B&N is out of the device market, it's starting to look like B&N is out of the game.

Come on, B&N, let us know if you're stilll playing ball in this field, before we all go out and buy Kobo Auras.

I have one finger on the "buy now" button on kobo.com. I'm (probably foolishly) waiting for BN to announce a new eink device.

Now is the perfect time, especially considering the fact that you can buy ebooks in store. To me that is the perfect book shopping experience; being able to go to a physical store and pick up books whether I want them in eform or on paper. I still buy both and I still love bookstores.

BN needs to get it together, get out of the tablet game and make some moves to maximize their profitability as a bookstore (and not an everything but the kitchen sink kind of store).

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

It's also the perfect time of year for a new device, especially for "Julie" as school's letting out - that means summer trips that she'll want to take with her new ereader.  Julie may not be long for B&N without a new device that can be "just hers" since you know the kids are hogging the tablets.

Reader 4
FoxTale
0 Kudos

Here's latest report from the NOOK Blog:
link

So we will just have to wait a bit more

Contributor
0 Kudos

That's old news. The blog isn't talking about the NST and it was from the fall of 2010. 

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

msmoonlite wrote:

keriflur wrote:

bobstro wrote:

keriflur wrote:

[...] Kobo allows some serious font fine-tuning which I'd love to see on the nook.  I don't think we'll get it, though.

Kobo does seem to have taken the lead on innovating in the eink device space. B&N can easily get back in the game. They just have to decide to do it.

*nods enthusiastically*

With no announcement of a new device, and no leaks of anything in the works to offset concerns that B&N is out of the device market, it's starting to look like B&N is out of the game.

Come on, B&N, let us know if you're stilll playing ball in this field, before we all go out and buy Kobo Auras.

I have one finger on the "buy now" button on kobo.com. I'm (probably foolishly) waiting for BN to announce a new eink device.

Now is the perfect time, especially considering the fact that you can buy ebooks in store. To me that is the perfect book shopping experience; being able to go to a physical store and pick up books whether I want them in eform or on paper. I still buy both and I still love bookstores.

BN needs to get it together, get out of the tablet game and make some moves to maximize their profitability as a bookstore (and not an everything but the kitchen sink kind of store).

I haven't looked at a Kobo because in my experience Kobo prices are over all higher than BN and they don't have near the number of eBooks.  At least that's been my experience, even with the coupons, a lot of times the coupon brought the Kobo price down to normal BN price.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

As far as I know you're able to sideload BN books on to the Kobo devices.

B&N really needs to step up its game in eink.  The only thing holding me back from an Aura is that I can't see one in a store.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
keriflur

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

B&N really needs to step up its game in eink.  The only thing holding me back from an Aura is that I can't see one in a store.

You might be able to see one in store:

http://www.indiebound.org/ebooks

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

Yes, but that's definitely friction I don't want.  I want to be able to simply purchase and download the books.