New User
markrayski
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

NST Update

Hi all!

Just got my Simple Touch yesterday, and stumbled upon this forum.

You all seem like a nice group of people, so I thought I would ask you all a a quick question.

My ST came preinstalled with the update version, 1.0.1.

Do you all think I should do the new update or just wait until the kinks and bugs are worked out?

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Re: NST Update

They never work all the kinks out.  On the plus side, the latest update, 1.2.1, has a vastly improved dictionary function, and handles nested tables of contents.  On the down side, the last update removed page numbers from the table of contents when they introduced the nesting, which bothered a lot of people.  Overall, I think it's worth loading.

keriflur
0 Kudos

MacMcK1957 wrote:

They never work all the kinks out.  On the plus side, the latest update, 1.2.1, has a vastly improved dictionary function, and handles nested tables of contents.  On the down side, the last update removed page numbers from the table of contents when they introduced the nesting, which bothered a lot of people.  Overall, I think it's worth loading.

I think whether it's worth loading depends on what you use more - the dictionary, or the table of contents.

New User
markrayski
0 Kudos

haha, i hardly ever use either, so it doesn't really matter to me.

how would i go about loading the update.
keriflur

markrayski wrote:
haha, i hardly ever use either, so it doesn't really matter to me.

how would i go about loading the update.

Charge it all the way, then turn on wifi and let it hang out.  The update will load on its own when the nook is idle.

New User
markrayski
0 Kudos

so since i hardly use ever, should i just leave it be or update it?
keriflur
0 Kudos

markrayski wrote:

Only you can answer that.  :smileyhappy:

You don't have to update it, but if you ever leave wifi on, it will likely update itself.  So, you could update it to get it over and done with, or you could just not worry about it.

FWIW, I haven't updated mine, and I'm not having any issues.  The folks that have updated aren't having any issues either.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

markrayski wrote:

Only you can answer that.  :smileyhappy:

You don't have to update it, but if you ever leave wifi on, it will likely update itself.  So, you could update it to get it over and done with, or you could just not worry about it.

FWIW, I haven't updated mine, and I'm not having any issues.  The folks that have updated aren't having any issues either.

This seems like one of the more stable updates.  I think the only things they broke were page numbers in the TOC and if you already were using ADE you'd have to delete those files and reauthorize it.  If you're new, neither of those will probably bother you.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Correspondent
SkipperT
0 Kudos

Always enjoy an update (until I get burned), so I'm leaving on my wi-fi on my new NST 24hrs a day until it appears.  How many weeks could this possibly take?  Had no desire to sideload it - had enough of that with my NC.

A man who doesn't read has no advantage over one who can't read. - Mark Twain (paraphrased)
keriflur

It shouldn't take weeks - this update is old and isn't on a staggered release anymore.  If it doesn't update in a day then you might want to try something else (leaving it plugged in, considering your sideload options, taking it in to a B&N store to see if it will load there, etc.)

Correspondent
SkipperT
0 Kudos

Maybe I found the problem:  When I went to download the update manually, the speedometer in my download manager indicates it will take 2 days and 16 hours.  I think they have a minor speed issue.

The problem isn't local to me - I can still stream video.  My wi-fi seems OK because when I first registered the HD+ it updated immediately.  These are both new, from the BOGO offer.

A man who doesn't read has no advantage over one who can't read. - Mark Twain (paraphrased)
Correspondent
SkipperT
0 Kudos

Well, for better or for worse, the planets were aligned and the server got un-choked and my NST updated at 9am this morning, OTA.  Seemed like a long 4 days.

Thanks for the replies - I didn't know what to think.