Contributor
laird
0 Kudos

NST freeze - empty battery with incorrect battery gauge

Hi,

I have a problem with my NST where it will freeze.  When I plug it in, it will power up.  This makes me think the battery is discharged but the battery meter indicates it's over %85.

This problem has been happening for about 6 months and the unit is about 1.5 years old.  

I've read something about the battery meter being reset when you fully charge the unit and then power cycle it.  Is there any other way to kick this off?

Thanks,

Alan

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

Re: NST freeze - empty battery with incorrect battery gauge

laird wrote:

I've read something about the battery meter being reset when you fully charge the unit and then power cycle it.  Is there any other way to kick this off?

Thanks,

Alan

Nope.  You'll need to charge it up, and then let it discharge until it tells you it must be recharged.  If your battery meter is severely off, you may need to do this multiple times before it'll be accurate.

If this does not work, then it's possible that the meter is not the problem, and that there is something wrong with the battery itself, or with the nook.

Actually, in most cases, if the problem is that the meter is off, the meter shows the battery is drained when the battery is actually not drained, not the other way around.  So your problem may not be battery meter calibration at all.

Contributor
laird
0 Kudos

I just talked to the B&N phone support and I'm not sure I understood what they were saying.  

My unit screen indicates that the unit is fully charged but the amber light is still on.  I would guess at this point that the OS battery gague is incorrect and the hardware indicator tells me it's charging.  The person on the phone said that when connected to a computer, the LED would always be amber.  That didn't sound  correct to me...

They also indicated that there was no process to correct the OS battery meter.  That also seemed off to me.

I was assuming the OS was involved in the charge cycle and an incorrect reading would stop the charge before it's completed.  

Correspondent
Strayer

When you have the NST plugged into the computer, the light is amber. I use the charger and the wall outlet to charge the NST.

I plug in the NST to the computer to sideload library books.

roustabout
0 Kudos

If you're willing to open your nook, there is a way to reset the battery status internally which has resolved for many an issue where the device would only run if it was connected to power.

Basically you open it up, disconnect the battery leads and hit the power button. 

There's a detailed post by Icebike about it here:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Resolved-Issues-Archived/Nook-Won-t-Charge/td-p/475634

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

If you're willing to open your nook, there is a way to reset the battery status internally which has resolved for many an issue where the device would only run if it was connected to power.

Basically you open it up, disconnect the battery leads and hit the power button. 

There's a detailed post by Icebike about it here:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Resolved-Issues-Archived/Nook-Won-t-Charge/td-p/475634

I *think* that post was about the NOOK First Edition, not the NST...  I don't know if it will or won't work on the NST, but it will definitely void the warranty of an NST if it's still covered; the NST's back isn't intended to be removed...

roustabout
0 Kudos

If the post is about the n1e, then I grabbed the wrong one - but the method is known to work for the NST and NSTG as well. 

The real discussion is on xda, but I've had a post moderated recently that <gasp> linked to XDA so I'm trying to stay in-house rather than have useful information removed....

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Contributor
laird
0 Kudos

The battery disconnect sounds like something I should try.  I have a couple of android tablets and his feels like an issue I had a while back on another unit.

Tonight the unit has the same low battery behavior (freeze, power cycle, non-responsiveness, immediate power-up when attached to charger) ans the display read 90%.  Pretty silly.

The unit was fully charged (green light) Saturday and I think I've read for about 4 hours on it and maybe 300 page turns.  I used to get 10x that usage when the unit was new.

It seems like a Li-Po battery like this should be good for 90% after a year instead of the 10-20% I'm getting now.  This feels a lot more like a logic induced failure than a hardware induced failure.

roustabout
0 Kudos

I hadn't realized these were lithium polymer batteries - I picked up a little r/c helicopter at Christmas and it's powered by Li-Po batteries.  They have more warnings about how to treat them than I was used to, and when I looked around on the r/c forums there were many opinions expressed about the care and feeding of the batteries.

The biggest takeaway I got was that people were recommending you disconnect them if you plan to store the device for long, and that you avoid both over- and undercharging, even more than with lithium ion batteries.  

Contributor
laird
0 Kudos

Well, my unit is about 1.5 years old so there's probably no point in speaking to B&N about this.  Time to pop the back and disconnect that battery.  I don't have the correct drivers here at work so I'll post tonight after I do this.

Alan