Contributor
lillybug74
0 Kudos

NSTwGL, won't connect to home wifi

I've spent most of the night reading the info on how to get this to work. I finally gave up and used the 3g hotspot from my cell phone (cost $20). WOW, it worked like it's supposed to, no mac address crap, no router settings, no cycling the damn thing 81 times.

This is the stupidest crap I've seen, how can you make it so difficult to connect to a network?!?!

Granted, I don't need constant wifi access for my NST, but I pay for the friggin' internet at home, I should be able to do whatever I want with it.

I am seeing version 1.1.5 from what I read, this is the latest?

It's hard to tell if there's been any new advice regarding this KNOWN issue, so if anyone has any thoughts???

It's a netgear modem and that's about all I know, it's my roommates, so I can't change settings and whatnot.

If I know there is a clear cut way of fixing it, I will ask him.

Is there any details you need from the router so that it might actually work?

THanks and let me just say, I'm NOT impressed, I read Kindle has the same issues, and I don't want a kindle anyway (ads), I did my research and figured out what I wanted, now I WANT it to work!

Lill

Wordsmith
h2oskierc
0 Kudos

Re: NSTwGL, won't connect to home wifi

I've had no issues at all with mine connecting to wifi.  At work on a Belkin, at home on a Zoom, and connecting to my cell phone all work perfect.  Without knowing how the router is setup, there are a lot of possibilities, MAC address filtering, security setting etc.

What can you tell us about the network?  What kind of security does it use, does the SSID broadcast?  Tell us as much as you possibly can.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Can you give the specific model number that you have (the router)?  Also, can you see the SSID, just not connect to it, or can you not see the SSID on the nook at all?

Also, any info you can get from your roommate on how the router is set up would help too (is it g, or g/n, or n-only?  Is it using MAC filtering? is it using WPA, WPA2, or WEP security?)

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

It could be as simple as the name (SSID) of your network.  Some people get all fancy and put spaces and symbols in like "Joe's Data Shack"

We just had someone with that problem.  Some electronics work with that and some get confused (Nook doesn't like it)

The more you tell us about the actual problem the more we can help you. You gave us about a dozen sentences of tirade and only told us that you can't connect, have a Glowlight, and it's got firmware 1.1.5. (not a lot to go on)

Go step by step.  Tell us exactly what you do, exactly what you see, and exactly where it gets stuck.

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

Byteguy wrote:
Go step by step.  Tell us exactly what you do, exactly what you see, and exactly where it gets stuck.

Ahhh! If only everyone who wants support would adopt this mantra.

To those who have ever supplied tech support, it seems painfully obvious that this is the only approach likely to prove fruitful. To a frustrated user who thinks that the silly device ought to just plain work, not so much.

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
Contributor
lillybug74
0 Kudos

Thanks for responding everyone, I really do appreciate it. I apologize for not giving much info, but I am pretty tech savy and all that does not make a lot of sense to me, which is why I was frustrated!

However, when I picked up my nook today to try to give you more info, low and behold it's connected to my home, no problem at all. I didn't do anything different.

I guess if it happens again, I'll try to get help.

Thanks again!

lill

Contributor
MessianicReader
0 Kudos

There are a myriad of issues that can crop up when having problems connecting to wi-fi.  If he doesn't have his SSID broadcast, then you will have to manually enter the SSID (it would show up as "other network" in the list)  Also, if it is secured, then you need the password he uses to connect, otherwise, you will run into issues.  

Other than those two, any other problems connecting, you will have to be specific with the problem.  Does it just not see the wifi? If it sees it, what happens when you try to connect?

Contributor
lillybug74
0 Kudos

It is SSID, I know the password, the nook sees the network

When I tried to connect it just wouldn't it would say there's an error.

Like I said though, it's working now, and I didn't change anything, it's connecting automatically

I appreciate your help!

Contributor
MessianicReader
0 Kudos

I am glad it is working now.  In the future if you run into issues such as this, please try to be as specific as possible, such as giving the exact error that is given, if any information is needed to connect (SSID visible, needs password) what you are connecting to (public, private network), as well as which Nook you are using and the firmware version.