Reply
Frequent Contributor
JEB63
Posts: 30
Registered: ‎06-04-2011
0 Kudos

New NOOK won't open pdf

I side loaded some pdf files from my PC to the New NOOK which I received today.  The NOOK says it cannot open them because the file format is not supported.  So I went to B&N's website and downloaded a user guide in pdf format to my NOOK.  It won't open either. 

 

What gives?

Frequent Contributor
JEB63
Posts: 30
Registered: ‎06-04-2011
0 Kudos

Re: New NOOK won't open pdf

Trying power cycling.....

New User
Axei
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎10-09-2012
0 Kudos

Re: New NOOK won't open pdf

I'm having the same issue. please advise. loved my old nook, would hate to have such a basic problem ruin the new "improved" one

Wordsmith
Melissa19
Posts: 243
Registered: ‎05-14-2010
0 Kudos

Re: New NOOK won't open pdf

Are you sure you saved the file as a pdf? Connect nook to computer, open my files folder. Drag pdf file into my documents folder. On nook in files open documents folder. File should be there.
Melissa19
DeanGibson
Posts: 2,198
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,253
Solutions: 18
Registered: ‎04-12-2011
0 Kudos

Re: New NOOK won't open pdf

Yep, the newer Nook Touch and Glow will not open some PDFs (including those generated by the US Gov't).  Nice "touch", B&N.

Nooks: 2 HD+/16GB, 2 HD/8GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted; Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted
    2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Bibliophile
bklvr896
Posts: 4,812
Registered: ‎12-31-2009
0 Kudos

Re: New NOOK won't open pdf


DeanGibson wrote:

Yep, the newer Nook Touch and Glow will not open some PDFs (including those generated by the US Gov't).  Nice "touch", B&N.


Question. Don't the Nooks use reader software from Adobe?

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,717
Registered: ‎01-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: New NOOK won't open pdf


bklvr896 wrote:

DeanGibson wrote:

Yep, the newer Nook Touch and Glow will not open some PDFs (including those generated by the US Gov't).  Nice "touch", B&N.


Question. Don't the Nooks use reader software from Adobe?


Yes, they do.  I've no idea if B&N modifies it though.

 

DeanGibson
Posts: 2,198
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,253
Solutions: 18
Registered: ‎04-12-2011
0 Kudos

Re: New NOOK won't open pdf

[ Edited ]

bklvr896 wrote:

DeanGibson wrote:

Yep, the newer Nook Touch and Glow will not open some PDFs (including those generated by the US Gov't).  Nice "touch", B&N.


Question. Don't the Nooks use reader software from Adobe?


Yes.  Actually, what I said is not quite true.  If you place a PDF file on your sdcard (or even on the internal memory "My Files/Documents" folder) and use the Nook Touch/Glow's "My Files" listing to navigate to the folder that the PDF file is in, and click on the PDF file (which is "recognized" by the B&N software because the icon shows "PDF" in the middle, rather than a "?" like it does for other (for example) HTML files), you get a "This NOOK™ cannot read this file.  It may be an unsupported format." message.

 

However, if you root the Nook Touch/Glow and install the Opera browser (and I assume any file manager program) and navigate to the same PDF file and click on it, the installed B&N "reader" software will open and display the file just fine.  What this means is that the "My Files" feature is blocked from opening PDF files.

 

As I said, nice "touch", B&N.

Nooks: 2 HD+/16GB, 2 HD/8GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted; Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted
    2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Bibliophile
bklvr896
Posts: 4,812
Registered: ‎12-31-2009
0 Kudos

Re: New NOOK won't open pdf


keriflur wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:

DeanGibson wrote:

Yep, the newer Nook Touch and Glow will not open some PDFs (including those generated by the US Gov't).  Nice "touch", B&N.


Question. Don't the Nooks use reader software from Adobe?


Yes, they do.  I've no idea if B&N modifies it though.

 


I guess that would depend on whether Adobe would allow it.  Given how wonderful ADE is, I wonder if some of the issues are caused by Adobe not programming the software correctly.  

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
Posts: 1,490
Registered: ‎09-28-2011
0 Kudos

Re: New NOOK won't open pdf


DeanGibson wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:

DeanGibson wrote:

Yep, the newer Nook Touch and Glow will not open some PDFs (including those generated by the US Gov't).  Nice "touch", B&N.


Question. Don't the Nooks use reader software from Adobe?


Yes.  Actually, what I said is not quite true.  If you place a PDF file on your sdcard (or even on the internal memory "My Files/Documents" folder) and use the Nook Touch/Glow's "My Files" listing to navigate to the folder that the PDF file is in, and click on the PDF file (which is "recognized" by the B&N software because the icon shows "PDF" in the middle, rather than a "?" like it does for other (for example) HTML files), you get a "This NOOK™ cannot read this file.  It may be an unsupported format." message.

 

However, if you root the Nook Touch/Glow and install the Opera browser (and I assume any file manager program) and navigate to the same PDF file and click on it, the installed B&N "reader" software will open and display the file just fine.  What this means is that the "My Files" feature is blocked from opening PDF files.

 

As I said, nice "touch", B&N.


I put a pdf file on my microsSD card on my NST this spring and it opened up and read just fine.  I had created a MSWord document and then saved it as a .pdf file when I was done.  I then loaded it on my NST.  Worked fine.

 

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
DeanGibson
Posts: 2,198
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,253
Solutions: 18
Registered: ‎04-12-2011
0 Kudos

Re: New NOOK won't open pdf


kamas716 wrote:

I put a pdf file on my microsSD card on my NST this spring and it opened up and read just fine.  I had created a MSWord document and then saved it as a .pdf file when I was done.  I then loaded it on my NST.  Worked fine.

 


Hmm ... before the Nook Touch update to v1.1.2 (March 9) ???   I just tried it on a Nook Glow, and it didn't work.

Nooks: 2 HD+/16GB, 2 HD/8GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted; Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted
    2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Scribe
frantastk
Posts: 743
Registered: ‎06-29-2010
0 Kudos

Re: New NOOK won't open pdf


DeanGibson wrote:

kamas716 wrote:

I put a pdf file on my microsSD card on my NST this spring and it opened up and read just fine.  I had created a MSWord document and then saved it as a .pdf file when I was done.  I then loaded it on my NST.  Worked fine.

 


Hmm ... before the Nook Touch update to v1.1.2 (March 9) ???   I just tried it on a Nook Glow, and it didn't work.


I'm running 1.1.2, and haven't had any problems with pdfs. I prefer not to use pdfs, but that's more because the page formatting can be wonky on the small nook screen. I've used pdf knitting patterns that are created by the individual designers and some library books are still only offered in pdf at my libraries. 

 

Okay, I see where you say you open the pdf by navigating to My Files on the NST. It's been a couple months since I've used one of my pdfs on the nook (I don't think I have any on there right now so I can't check), but I think I've just opened them from the Library screen (the main page or from one of the Shelves). I almost never use My Files.

 

 

DeanGibson
Posts: 2,198
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,253
Solutions: 18
Registered: ‎04-12-2011
0 Kudos

Re: New NOOK won't open pdf


frantastk wrote:

DeanGibson wrote:

kamas716 wrote:

I put a pdf file on my microsSD card on my NST this spring and it opened up and read just fine.  I had created a MSWord document and then saved it as a .pdf file when I was done.  I then loaded it on my NST.  Worked fine.

 


Hmm ... before the Nook Touch update to v1.1.2 (March 9) ???   I just tried it on a Nook Glow, and it didn't work.


I'm running 1.1.2, and haven't had any problems with pdfs. I prefer not to use pdfs, but that's more because the page formatting can be wonky on the small nook screen. I've used pdf knitting patterns that are created by the individual designers and some library books are still only offered in pdf at my libraries. 

 

Okay, I see where you say you open the pdf by navigating to My Files on the NST. It's been a couple months since I've used one of my pdfs on the nook (I don't think I have any on there right now so I can't check), but I think I've just opened them from the Library screen (the main page or from one of the Shelves). I almost never use My Files.

 

 


I've tried putting the PDF files several places, including in the "Documents" subdirectory under "My Files".  That's is where I'd think they should be recognized, if anywhere.

 

Nooks: 2 HD+/16GB, 2 HD/8GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted; Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted
    2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,717
Registered: ‎01-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: New NOOK won't open pdf


DeanGibson wrote:
I've tried putting the PDF files several places, including in the "Documents" subdirectory under "My Files".  That's is where I'd think they should be recognized, if anywhere.

 


That would be logical, but I'm not sure that folder works for anything.  I think everything has to go in "Books".

Scribe
frantastk
Posts: 743
Registered: ‎06-29-2010
0 Kudos

Re: New NOOK won't open pdf


DeanGibson wrote:

frantastk wrote:

DeanGibson wrote:

kamas716 wrote:

I put a pdf file on my microsSD card on my NST this spring and it opened up and read just fine.  I had created a MSWord document and then saved it as a .pdf file when I was done.  I then loaded it on my NST.  Worked fine.

 


Hmm ... before the Nook Touch update to v1.1.2 (March 9) ???   I just tried it on a Nook Glow, and it didn't work.


I'm running 1.1.2, and haven't had any problems with pdfs. I prefer not to use pdfs, but that's more because the page formatting can be wonky on the small nook screen. I've used pdf knitting patterns that are created by the individual designers and some library books are still only offered in pdf at my libraries. 

 

Okay, I see where you say you open the pdf by navigating to My Files on the NST. It's been a couple months since I've used one of my pdfs on the nook (I don't think I have any on there right now so I can't check), but I think I've just opened them from the Library screen (the main page or from one of the Shelves). I almost never use My Files.

 

 


I've tried putting the PDF files several places, including in the "Documents" subdirectory under "My Files".  That's is where I'd think they should be recognized, if anywhere.

 


When it's a pdf library book, it goes wherever ADE puts it. When I load them myslef, I believe I put them in Books, not documents. I think. I don't remember ever putting anything in Documents on the NST. I usually use calibre to sideload everything, but I know I did it maually a couple times.