Contributor
artseattle
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

New Nook Ghosting issues?

On another forum some owners of the new Simple Touch Nook have noticed (complained) about a ghosting left from the previous pages that is not removed until the major page refresh that occurs every six page turns.  They describe being able to see the letters and graphics from the previous pages very lightly in the background.  Anyone noticing this?  Is it distracting?

Art

Frequent Contributor
earthangelrn2003
0 Kudos

Re: New Nook Ghosting issues?

I noticed it with mine but was able to correct it by restarting and it has not occured since.
Correspondent
Anthony1970
0 Kudos

I have heard about the ghosting as well Art. I guess its the price you pay for having refresh every six page turns. I know it would annoy me though. I would rather have the black refresh every page turn than ghosting.

Inspired Wordsmith
sirwillard
0 Kudos

I only used the display model for a few minutes, but I turned several pages and didn't notice anything. It will be interesting to see what it's like with longer usage.

Check out my books on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/profile/wekempf
Correspondent
Rose_Bee
0 Kudos

sirwillard wrote:

I only used the display model for a few minutes, but I turned several pages and didn't notice anything. It will be interesting to see what it's like with longer usage.

This was my experience as well.  My local B&N got the demo units in today, and I read several pages of The Throne of Fire and didn't notice any appreciable ghosting.

I have a birthday in several weeks and Nook 2nd edition is at the TOP of my list!

Distinguished Correspondent
Arestelle
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I saw it when I played with a demo unit, but as soon as I was doing something other than look for ghosting, I didn't really even notice it.

"One day a tortoise will learn how to fly."--Pratchett, Small Gods

Reading: The Demon-Haunted World
Last book read: Leon Martin and the Fantasy Girl (as a test reader--not yet published)
Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

artseattle wrote:

On another forum some owners of the new Simple Touch Nook have noticed (complained) about a ghosting left from the previous pages that is not removed until the major page refresh that occurs every six page turns.  They describe being able to see the letters and graphics from the previous pages very lightly in the background.  Anyone noticing this?  Is it distracting?

Art

I saw that Mobileread article. He posted a picture today showing a large amount of "white" on the page (during a dictionary lookup) and it looks pretty rough. It's not too noticeable when the page is filled with text.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1567297&posted=1#post1567297

Distinguished Wordsmith
sygram
0 Kudos

earthangelrn2003 wrote:
I noticed it with mine but was able to correct it by restarting and it has not occured since.

This was my experience as well.  I noticed it at first while charging and registering but after I shut it down completely and then turned it back on, it was gone.

Inspired Correspondent
karmamule
0 Kudos

I haven't seen any ghosting with mine so far either. I'm very impressed with both the touch screen and it's overall responsiveness.
Regard all phenomena as dreams.
Reader 4
Lu10ntDan
0 Kudos

I've had my N2E for two days now.

Even after shutting it down completely, the ghosting does reoccur, but the truth is, it's not very noticeable in most normal light.  I only noticed it for the first time in bright sunlight.

I'm not too worried about it.  I love just about every other aspect of the N2E and if enough people complain, they may offer an option in a future update where full page refreshes occur with each page.

New User
Rummie79
0 Kudos

I purchased mine this morning, then took it out by the pool.  The ghosting on mine was pretty significant - so much so that the letters of the current page were mottled where the previous page's letters were. 

I took it by the store to see what could be done and they were going to exchange it with a different one, but they were out.  I guess if other folks are having the same issues, then it is in the design and not with my particular unit.

I saw someone mentioned the actual "refresh" only happened every 6 page turns? 

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone

Rummie79 wrote:

I purchased mine this morning, then took it out by the pool.  The ghosting on mine was pretty significant - so much so that the letters of the current page were mottled where the previous page's letters were. 

I took it by the store to see what could be done and they were going to exchange it with a different one, but they were out.  I guess if other folks are having the same issues, then it is in the design and not with my particular unit.

I saw someone mentioned the actual "refresh" only happened every 6 page turns? 

All e-Link displays suffer from some amount of ghosting its just a matter of how noticble it is. I had to load the image from Moblilereads forum in an image editor and crank the contrast up to see what he was talking about.

With the N1E I was rather annoyed when update 1.5 was released with the faster page turns. I had just started a book with a lot of images and the images always ghosted to the next page.

As new as your unit is, I would use it for 14 days and see if it doesn't improve. If it doesn't improve to your satisfaction return it and get either a replacement or a credit. My guess is that effect will lessen as the display is exposed to light.

The "screen refresh" people are refering to isn't an actual refresh but a page flush. Thats where the entire screen is turned black then white to reduce any ghosting effect. On the N1E and most e-Ink devices that happens on every page turn. On the Nook 2E that happens every 6 pages.

New User
namesake
0 Kudos

I've had my new Nook touch for 4 days and yesterday I experienced my first problems with ghosting of images from the prevous pages.  It did not clear up with the page refresh.  The only thing that cleared it was to power completely off and back on.  I didn't have any problems the rest of the day but today I've experienced it again and once agian the only thing that cleared it was to power completely off and on again.  It in not an issue of the light on the screen as right before the problem and after it's cleared up by powering on/off the image is clear and there's no ghosting in the exact same light.  I'm prepared to trade it in for another but I'm wondering if it's not just a failure with my particular reader but some other glitch in the new Nook. 

Reader
Nook3d
0 Kudos

I've had similar issues as well, to the extent where multiple previous pages would bleed through into my current page and it is very noticeable.  It fixed itself after I restart it but I'm hoping it'll somehow fix itself so I don't have to return it.

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

None while reading but when on the screensaver I can see ghosting left behind from the page it was on when it kicked in.
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

mykoffee wrote:
None while reading but when on the screensaver I can see ghosting left behind from the page it was on when it kicked in.

This.

Correspondent
Anthony1970
0 Kudos

llNallia wrote:

mykoffee wrote:

This.

I dont know guys. I went to BN today and I did notice the ghosing. It happened about every 3rd or 4th page turn in the 6 page refresh cycle. I have to admit it was very annoying. The device though looks much better in person. If they can solve this ghosting issue I will probably get it. If not I will check out the kobo.
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

Anthony1970 wrote:

llNallia wrote:

mykoffee wrote:

This.

I dont know guys. I went to BN today and I did notice the ghosing. It happened about every 3rd or 4th page turn in the 6 page refresh cycle. I have to admit it was very annoying. The device though looks much better in person. If they can solve this ghosting issue I will probably get it. If not I will check out the kobo.

It is entirely possible that I just haven't noticed it yet or it just hasn't happened to me yet.  It seems that it doesn't always happen to people.  I will definitely keep a close eye on it now.

New User
StephenJM
0 Kudos

I just bought the New Nook 4 days ago. The ghosting started a couple of days later and a full power down seems the only resolution. Today is been ghosting frequently and become very hard to read at times. If it keeps it up I will have to return the reader. Too much $ for such an issue.

Frequent Contributor
UrSunshine
0 Kudos

Just experienced the similar issue here.

The screen was amazing until I read like 100 or so pages, and after I looked up a word, the dictionary window had the real bad case of ghosting. Then, I turned couple of more pages, and those pages also showed overlapped ghosting effect. (in a quite a dark fashion).

I went back to the home screen, then immediately went back to the book, and it was fine.

But.

I don't like it.