Reader 4
Alex84
0 Kudos

Re: New Nook Ghosting issues?

I have some problem with ghosting too... and im interesting this is the issue/bug or not? 

My screen's: 

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/202/pic0639.jpg
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/97/pic0640i.jpg 

I can see the artifacts only very close to screen and with bright light.

When i reading i see darken lines where was text on previous pages.

Something like on the next pic (thats pic from N2E review movie)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/266/nookitszebra.jpg

We talk about same effect? Is it issue and need to change ? Or that is features?

Maybe B&N support can answer? Will be very grateful!

P.S. I'm not very happy coes already replace one unit coes touch screen stops work...  

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

@Alex84:

From what I can tell from the example images, your NOOK is behaving normally. The lower refresh rate increases battery life, but it does mean ghosting can become noticeable, especially when there are large areas of white space on the new page for the afterimage to ghost into.

I wouldn't consider this a bug/issue, as this was how it was designed. It is an issue in the sense that some people find it bothersome.

If the ghosting is so bad it actually obscures words or prevents reading, I'd be worried. So far I haven't seen an example of this. Everyone just seems to have a different tolerance for artifacting.

Which is why page refresh rate should be user adjustable. (With a clear warning that setting it below the factory preset may reduce battery usage substantially.)

Reader 4
Alex84
0 Kudos

RHWright, thank you for the comment! It was very useful for me!

I hope future firmware will have "full refresh rate" options.

New User
pele40
0 Kudos

I am trying to determine if the issues I see are "normal"  or worse than average.  When reading my NST, about every other time I use it I can see text from the previous page as well as the text on the current page gets much lighter and/or has spots in the letters.  If there are photos as in a Newspaper, I can often see previous text in the photo.

Also, if I push N button twice it usually improves, but the bottom couple rows are fully dark and the rest of the text is quite  a bit lighter. Also, the improvement typically does not last more than 1 page. Sometimes the text gets so bad it is hardly readable.

Other times I can read 50 to 100 pages with no issues.

Will BN help with things like this if I take it to a store even though I bought it at bn.com??

Inspired Wordsmith
petesnook
0 Kudos

A B&N store will definitely assist you with any product purchased at bn.com.  That's the beauty of buying from a business that has actual stores.

Whether or not they can fix it is a different issue.  Be prepared to have them do a factory reset. So if you have sideloaded any material, make sure you copy it to your PC or a memory card before going to the store.

Good luck.

Reader
CalRunnerGirl
0 Kudos

I received a Nook Simple Touch as a gift yesterday, and I'm already experiencing the "ghosting" issue to the point where text is not legible and any images are distorted. I stopped by B&N today to ask them about it, and the Nook lady told me it's most likely caused by being on the shelf in the store too long (my hubby bought it at Target). It wouldn't happen if he had bought one at B&N. Upon mentioning this forum topic she would have me believe that most of you must have purchased your Nooks from a vendor other than B&N, so I'm wondering if that's true?

Since it did sound like an issue with the device, she recommended returning it and getting another one - which I will do at their store this time. I hope she's right and there will not be any more ghosting. The only other question I have is, how do I move the one book I bought from my Nook to my Mac so I can do the deregistering thing and not lose my book? I'm not seeing the file in the Nook's book folder.

Correspondent
ilexq
0 Kudos

Did you purchase the book using the Nook? If so, the book will be attributed to your account and should automatically download to your replacement Nook once you register it under the same account. 

Reader
CalRunnerGirl
0 Kudos

Ilexq - yes I did. Thanks for the quick response. Glad to know it will still be there when I get another Nook.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

CalRunnerGirl wrote:

I stopped by B&N today to ask them about it, and the Nook lady told me it's most likely caused by being on the shelf in the store too long (my hubby bought it at Target). It wouldn't happen if he had bought one at B&N. Upon mentioning this forum topic she would have me believe that most of you must have purchased your Nooks from a vendor other than B&N, so I'm wondering if that's true?

This sounds like total BS on the part of the "Nook lady." Electronics don't have this type of shelf life. I could see if there was a known hardware issue that has been identified and fixed: that would definitely cause an old inventory/new inventory problem.

If the ghosting is making it totally unreadable, that is a particular unit defect. Though make sure you read through this thread and others for descriptions of normal ghosting and the refresh rate on the N2E. Your situation may be a defect, or you may just not be used to the normal ghosting yet. (Some are more sensitive to it than others.)

New User
pele40
0 Kudos

FYI, I have intermittent but significant problems with ghosting and I bought mine from BN.com.

Wordsmith
tmr4
0 Kudos

I haven't noticed ghosting on my new NST to any significant extent and definitly not enough to cause any reading problems. I haven't allowed my nook to updates it software, but if the new version corrects ghosting even a bit I don't think it will be noticable at all.
New User
safires
0 Kudos

My Nook reader began to show visible ghosting after I went out in cold winter temperature although it was placed in a case in my handbag. The ghosting didn't completely disappear even after a few days when it was in the house at room temperature.