Contributor
Vol4Ever
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

New Simple Touch (no GL) - version won't update?

My wife and I each own a Nook Tablet (mine rooted), and we both LOVE LOVE LOVE them.  We are taking a family vacation to the beach next week, so we bought a new Simple Touch for 2 reasons:

1 - Tablet washes out in the sunlight.  Can't find any settings that allow it to be readable.  ST solves that with the e-ink.

2 - Should it get ruined on the beach, oh well.  Considered disposable, vacation entertainment cost!!

Now my issue.  Even though I just bought it Friday, it had ver 1.0.0 firmware.  After leaving it on wifi for 24 hours, it never updated to the latest.  Following the online instructions, I manually D/L the firmware file and put it in the root of the ST.  For some reason it still won't update.  Instructions say ST should recognize the file & auto-install, but it's been sitting idle for several hours now.  Still 1.0.0.

Any recommendations on how to force the update to install?  Thanks!

~Vol

Contributor
Vol4Ever
0 Kudos

Re: New Simple Touch (no GL) - version won't update?

UPDATE: Sometime since I last put it down, the upgrade installed. However there are -0- noticeable changes. Anyone know if there is anything significant between 1.0.0 and 1.1.2? Must just be maintenance upgrades?
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

There should be changes in the fonts - the fonts should appear darker, bolder, and more crisp.  FWIW, when this update came out, some people noticed it a lot and others could only tell if they had an updated nook and an unupdated nook side by side.

That's the only really big one that I can think of.  There are others, small changes in how the device functions, but if you're new to the N2E they'll be irrelevant to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

I believe 1.1.2 included a number of wifi connectivity fixes. I never noticed any problems with wifi, so can't say there's been a big improvement. However, I can say that my NST running 1.1.2 connected to the wifi at the beach with no problems!