New User
VonnieK
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Non-responsive Touchscreen!

My Nook Simple Touch's screen doesn't respond at all. I can use the power button to turn prompt the "Power Off" notification, but from there I cannot select an option. The "N" button on the face of the Reader also pulls up my Navigation bar but I cannot select it with the Touchscreen. Can I reset it somehow? Or is there another fix?

Inspired Correspondent
MacFlash

Re: Non-responsive Touchscreen!

Others who have had a similar problem say if you continue to hold the power button on the back it will reset. Good luck.

New User
VonnieK
0 Kudos

Well, my touchscreen works so thank you very much :]

I just hope this won't happen again...

New User
angin-segar
0 Kudos

MacFlash's suggestion to soft-reboot the Nook only works some of the time. My Nook did not respond to multiple attempts to use this solution. Searching B&N support articles also returned this answer, but unfortunately nothing more informative or comprehensive.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

VonnieK wrote:

Well, my touchscreen works so thank you very much :]

I just hope this won't happen again...

Is your NST updated to firmware version 1.1? Because that version seems to have solved the screen problem.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

angin-segar wrote:

MacFlash's suggestion to soft-reboot the Nook only works some of the time. My Nook did not respond to multiple attempts to use this solution. Searching B&N support articles also returned this answer, but unfortunately nothing more informative or comprehensive.

If a reboot does not work, than the battery of your NST is probably low (an e-ink screen does not need power to show a picture. Often when people thing think their NST is frozen, it just has no power).

Inspired Contributor
fjrichman
0 Kudos

You can tell if it's touchscreen frozen (as opposed to completely dead) by pressing the n button. This will bring up the quicknav if it's just a touchscreen issue. Also after updating to 1.1 I stopped seeing the issue in which touchscreen would stop working. So if you're not on 1.1 already, I'd suggest you update.

New User
mom2rn
0 Kudos

I also had an unresponsive touchscreen.  I tried restarting it by holding the power button for 20 seconds.  I did this multiple times and it did not work.  I fully charged it and it did not work.  Then I read a post where the person used a dry Qtip and went around the edge of the screen several times and it worked!  I finally was able to unlock it.  Thanks for the suggestion!  I have no idea why it worked but it is worth trying if you are having the problem.  Also I was running on the new software update when it froze.

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat

mom2rn wrote:

I read a post where the person used a dry Qtip and went around the edge of the screen several times and it worked!  I finally was able to unlock it.  Thanks for the suggestion!  I have no idea why it worked but it is worth trying if you are having the problem.

This works because the NST's screen is not a touchscreen. Rather, it has an array of infrared sensors cleverly concealed in that small gap between the screen surface and the plastic cover -- the very gap that you can clean out with a cotton swab or a soft brush. The sensors need an unblocked view all the way across the screen in order to work right.

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
New User
kitkatsc
0 Kudos

Just wanted to thank you for this! I had a screen that wouldn't respond and went through hours of powering off and on, and went through everything with tech support who finally told me I was just going to have a buy a new one. I saw your post and thought no way would it be that simple, but I wiped the edges with the corner of my shirt and before I got half way around it started working.
Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

How simple would it be for B&N to explain to all of their employees that the edge of the NST has to be kept clean. This would eliminate most of the problems. Then go back to a capacitive touch screen on the next eink reader.

New User
thekozdrons
0 Kudos

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THE Q-TIP WORKED!

New User
Freako90
0 Kudos

Mine's only at 40% and it's still not responding after resetting it! Help =(

Inspired Correspondent
bugeek
0 Kudos

The reason Bn went with infared touch vs capacitance or resistive touch is that at the time there were a few other Eink readers using touch displays that was an added bonded layer to the display and really made them fuzzy like Sony's early touch readers and didn't want the same mistake at that time with the avalible touch tech at the time, and it is not cost effective to change out the display for one with a touch laminate layer without introducing an entirely new product that's upgraded