Contributor
run_nm
0 Kudos

Nook Color Connected to WIFI but no internet

I can't get this figured out. I've tried several suggestions that I've read on these forums and my Nook Color will have no internet connections.  My laptops don't have this issue.   I have a WRT54G wireless router.  Please can anyone provide their solution if they were in the same predicament?  Thanks

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Connected to WIFI but no internet

run_nm wrote:

I can't get this figured out. I've tried several suggestions that I've read on these forums and my Nook Color will have no internet connections.  My laptops don't have this issue.   I have a WRT54G wireless router.  Please can anyone provide their solution if they were in the same predicament?  Thanks

No one knows what you've tried or how far you've gotten.  If you give more information as to what of the "several suggestions" you've tried, someone may be in a better position to help even though this is the nook tech support as opposed to the NOOKColor one - 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-Technical-Support/bd-p/NOOKcolortechnicalsupport

There's also a post somewhere about routers.  Maybe you could search that and see if there's anything that helps you there.

New User
FrissonArt
0 Kudos

Try restricting the wireless speed of the router to 54Mbps

New User
AndreaR
0 Kudos

I was having the same issue and searched the internet through and through.  Someone suggested changing the Security Options on your internet...I had to switch mine from WPA-PSK[TKIP] to WPA-PSK[TKIP]+WPA2-PSK[AES] and BINGO!  It worked!!

New User
Rdup
0 Kudos

Thanks for the tip.. Before my wireless wasn't secured and i secured it last night and my internet wouldn't want to work anymore even when it showed it was connected. 

Contributor
Corbo
0 Kudos

did you go to the 192.168.1.1 site and alter the settings, or do it through the program that handles it?

New User
NOOK-N-COLOR
0 Kudos

I did go to similar site to change route configuration. Mine is D-LINK DIR 615. I went to manual wifi setup and changed the mode from 801.1b, g &n (something like that) to just b & g. That seemed to have fixed the problem. As someone has said it is some thing to do with speed.  I worked on this for two days.

Spoke to B&N support people. No one has a clue. They simply put the blame on either internet provider or wiireless  router provider.

I wish they provide the specifications properly with regards to configuration of wifi needed for establishing wireless connection to the device. One this is conclusive from my experience and the information I have gathered is that the problem lies with the wireless routers settings (given the my device nook color must need older configuration).

Also make sure that you update your software on your nook. go to thier B&N support and get the new version installed onto your nook( through your computer).

New User
CalendarChic
0 Kudos

My daughter's Nook now won't get the internet either even though it is connected to Wi_Fi. No changes have been made to the router. I never have these issues with my iPad, everything always works including the Nook app.

New User
Hchu
0 Kudos

I had the same problem.

Router is Alice IAD WLAN 4421, provided by O2 in germany. Connection could be established to the router, but no internet connection. The Ip adresses are distributet by DHCP (dynamic), encryption was WPA/WPA2 and the connection mode was set on 802.11b/g/n.

I now changed router configuration to WPA only and 802.11g only. First it did not work, but after turning off and turning on the device after a while, now it works. The problem is thus clearly a problem of router configuration an Nook firmware.

I am realy angry having spent a day finding this out :smileymad:, as the Nook support site is completly useless and I found the answer only in this forum. Thank you all :smileywink:. I am no expert and I expect a company to program their firmweare user friendly and not relying on user testing, this is not a beta phase ... these are big hopes in the world of software but I am still amazed what kind of products can be sold. I would clearly not recommend to buy a nook simple touch glow light, until they have a better firmware. Thankfully I did not plan to use the Barnes and Noble store often (I consider to don't use it at all now) and I am thus not that dependent on WiFi connection. I think that it is a shame to sell a device with such a poor firmware and I am disapointed of Barnes and Noble. I refuse to be beta tester for a device I get for quiet a high amount of money.

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

It took me nearly 8 months to get my 1st Edition to /connect/ to my router.

No problem with the Nook -- I eventually discovered my router had a very obscure security feature (something other than hiding the SSID, password on connection, and MAC filters), and that feature did not like some devices.

Baron Wulfraed