New User
someguynamedg
0 Kudos

Nook Keeps Trying to Update and Restarting

Wifi only version. Its been about a week since I used it and it was out of juice. Plugged it in and now its been turning off and on for hours. The screen says thats its Installing Software Update and not to turn it off. The touch screen at the bottom alternates showing the following:

"Installing Update"

"Rebooting Device",

flickers, possible reboot

"Checking for Updates..."

"Checking for Updates..."

"Checking for Updates...."

over and over.

eventually it shows "Restory to Factory Fallback"

"Verifying the Update...."

"Installing Update"

back to where we started, cycle takes about 20 minutes I guess

Already tried pulling the battery, replacing and then plugging into wall. Also did the same with USB to computer just to see.

There has to be something else I can do. As of right now its a slowly flashing paperweight. Thanks for any help you can provide!

New User
someguynamedg
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Keeps Trying to Update and Restarting

Looks like it did a compete factory reset. The Nook Startup screen came up. I was able to log in and register it, setup the WIFI again and had full access to everything. It then shut down. When I started it back up again its begun the whole cycle of installing and restarting all over again. WTF is this damn thing doing?

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

@someguynamedg

Welcome!  :smileyhappy:

Sounds like you may have gotten a dud. :smileysad:

Time to call Customer Service at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665).  Select Option 2 for Digital Support.  If they can't get you up and running, they should arrange for you to receive a replacement.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Contributor
hawkwatcher
0 Kudos

mine is doing the same thing; about ready to throw it across the room; did the software 1.5 update a week or two ago & now it is trying to update again;started  re-downloading the book I was reading & it seems to be freezing up again Had a horrible time with this download never seemed to work properly but then it showed as version 1.5 in settings now keeps freezing up really not how I wanted to spend my unday afternoon.  feel a tiny bit better knowing I am not alone but not looking forward to version 1.6 if this is what I can expect LET ME KNOW IF YOU FIND A FIX

Contributor
hawkwatcher
0 Kudos

still not working now it keeps needing me to re-register; books not down loading & of course it's out of warranty!  HELLO KINDLE HERE I COME

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

@hawkwatcher

Tried calling Customer Support?

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

It sounds like the firmware is corrupted. I  would download it again and install it .

hawkwatcher wrote:

still not working now it keeps needing me to re-register; books not down loading & of course it's out of warranty!  HELLO KINDLE HERE I COME

New User
Lake-Witch
0 Kudos

Wednesday or Thursday it was a fight to get my Nook to turn on and when it did I had the auto-update. Got it on and was fine. Picked up a new book and all was ok.

Tonight it was another fight to turn on my Nook - low and behold, an auto-update!

I had been stuck in the same loop for a couple hours...

I was about to throw my Nook after the 4th time I retyped all the info in to re-register it after getting my husband to reset the wifi each time.... 

He ended up dl'ing the updates from the site to the laptop then copying them to my Nook. Do not register or connect to wifi or it starts the loop all over again. After that - follow the manual update procedure.  Then you can recon to wifi, re-reg etc put personal info back in and, for me, books all here and all is fine .. except for my missing bookmarks :smileysad:

They need to allow you to turn the auto-update feature off .. or if there is one, I have yet to find it.

Hope this helps and GL!!

Reader 4
GV618
0 Kudos

Having the same problem!! My nook was working okay, just couldn't connect via wi-fi or 3G. Stopped in B&N. They called customer support & poceeded to reset my nook to factory settings. Now all it will do is start to reboot flash a few times then download updates. This has been going on for 5+ hours now. They told me nothing they can do, gotta buy a new one :-(. So upset! At least I was able to read on it before... now it is useles!!!
Inspired Contributor
BeachCatFan
0 Kudos

GV618 wrote:
Having the same problem!! My nook was working okay, just couldn't connect via wi-fi or 3G. Stopped in B&N. They called customer support & poceeded to reset my nook to factory settings. Now all it will do is start to reboot flash a few times then download updates. This has been going on for 5+ hours now. They told me nothing they can do, gotta buy a new one :-(. So upset! At least I was able to read on it before... now it is useles!!!

I've been having the same problem for about a week or two. As soon as I turn it off and back on again, it starts from scratch and goes through all of that update loop.......causing me to have to register and set it up again. Tried just NOT turning it off. Of course, now, after 72 hours, it shuts off automatically, and then, here we go again!! Tried a battery pull last night, even put a new battery in, and it STILL is happening. Plus, most books won't open unless I archive and then unarchive them. UNBELIEVABLE!!

Reader 4
GV618
0 Kudos

I can't even re- register it... It never actually starts. Just keeps starting... Blinks afew times,goes blank , then 'installs update' then starts the whole process over and over and over..... Sucks big time!! It is absolutely useless. Read about the firmware being corrupt so re installed that but no change. Anyone having this issue with the nook touch??? May have to get one of those.
Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

GV618 wrote:
I can't even re- register it... It never actually starts. Just keeps starting... Blinks afew times,goes blank , then 'installs update' then starts the whole process over and over and over..... Sucks big time!! It is absolutely useless. Read about the firmware being corrupt so re installed that but no change. Anyone having this issue with the nook touch??? May have to get one of those.

try connecting it to your computer and see if you can open the nook drive and delete the update file on it. Disconnect it and see if you can shut it off.Then turn it back on

Reader 4
GV618
0 Kudos

Can't open the nook folder on computer it is now not recognized. I think my nook 1st edition is a goner after 16 months. :-(
BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 519
Solutions: 41
0 Kudos

Hi GV618,

Please PM me with your account info (email, serial number) and i'll take a look at this for you.

Thanks!

-Alex

Click the Laurel leaf to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
New User
someguynamedg
0 Kudos

Wow I started this thread months ago trying to find a fix for this. I actually gave up and went back to paper.... tonight I randomly did a search and found my own thread. Same issues persist. I'm going to try a firmware flash I guess.