Contributor
xhazk
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Nook ST - Adhesive defect

Hello.

I was very recently gifted a Nook Simple Touch. Upon inspection, it would appear that the grey, tactile rubber surrounding the e-ink screen is held in place by adhesive, which seems to be weakening for some reason and causing a gap to form beneath that portion of the chassis.

I posit this could be caused by egregiously hot shipping conditions, as I do live in a desert. Is this a common problem with the Nook ST?

This has me concerned, as I just had a similar issue with my smartphone. Over the course of many months, the screen slowly has been popping out, probably due to cheap adhesive being used in lieu of proper construction, much like what appears to have been done with my Nook.

If it's a known issue, there isn't much I can do I suppose. I just don't want to go through the hassle of getting a replacement, only to find the exact same defect. I'm equally uninterested in having my Nook fall apart six months down the road because someone at B&N decided to shave 10 cents off the price of construction by using Elmer's glue in the product.

Contributor
WideAwake
0 Kudos

Re: Nook ST - Adhesive defect

Are you sure that gap isn't where the touch sensors live? That's totally normal.

Unless I am misunderstanding your description of your problem.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

I agree with WideAwake - what you're seeing is likely the gap where the touch sensors sit.  Just to be sure though, it's probably not a bad idea to take it in to a B&N store, if you have one around.

But no, there's no known issue with the screen separating.  In fact, if that indeed is what's happening, you'd be the first person to report it in the forums.

Assuming the gap is the standard one, for the IR sensors, you'll just want to keep that gap clean.  Dust, hair and other debris can gather in that gap and obstruct the sensors, making the screen unresponsive.

Contributor
xhazk
0 Kudos

Thank you for your responses.

The gap I'm referring to is between the grey, texturized rubber, on the front outer region of the nook and the black plastic plate beneath it that holds the actual e-ink screen in.

When held at an angle, I can see adhesive beneath the grey rubber. It seems to have broken down or something and you can see it "stretching" between the grey rubber and the black plastic beneath.

I guess I will need to bring it in and hopefully they can replace it with a model that doesn't have this issue. I am concerned about dust getting in there and making its way deeper into the device.

Contributor
xhazk
0 Kudos

Also, I'm not really sure what gap -- empty space -- you're both referring to for the IR projector.

Do you mean the thin black plastic under the grey rubber that rests against the e-ink screen?
keriflur
0 Kudos

xhazk wrote:
Also, I'm not really sure what gap -- empty space -- you're both referring to for the IR projector.

Do you mean the thin black plastic under the grey rubber that rests against the e-ink screen?

No, the space that you're seeing in between the grey rubber and the black plastic.  This is the gap for the sensors.  I'm thinking your nook is perfectly normal.  But it won't hurt to take it in-store and make sure.

keriflur
0 Kudos

If you can get a decent photo of what you're seeing, we might be able to tell you here also.

Contributor
xhazk
0 Kudos

Unfortunately, I don't have anything to take a passable picture with.

I did look around on the web, and from the few high-resolution images taken from the angle I need to see, the grey rubber seems to be flush down against the black plastic beneath.

ex: http://mikecanex.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/flyingtoasters.jpg

The "gap" I see on mine is uneven and I can see adhesive in there, which doesn't seem at all like it would be an intentional feature of the manufacturing process.

Maybe someone would be so kind as to take a detailed image of their Nook, from a close angle where I can see the area in question? The web images are a bit blurry and they're all I have to go on for perspective.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

xhazk wrote:

I did look around on the web, and from the few high-resolution images taken from the angle I need to see, the grey rubber seems to be flush down against the black plastic beneath.

The "gap" I see on mine is uneven and I can see adhesive in there, which doesn't seem at all like it would be an intentional feature of the manufacturing process.

Maybe someone would be so kind as to take a detailed image of their Nook, from a close angle where I can see the area in question? The web images are a bit blurry and they're all I have to go on for perspective.

If I'm understanding correctly, you do have a problem and need to either contact CS or take it in to a store for an exchange.  The grey rubber should be flush with the hard black plastic, and the black plastic should be pretty much flush with the screen.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
keriflur
0 Kudos

kamas716 wrote:

xhazk wrote:

If I'm understanding correctly, you do have a problem and need to either contact CS or take it in to a store for an exchange.  The grey rubber should be flush with the hard black plastic, and the black plastic should be pretty much flush with the screen.

Actually, no, there should be a small gap.  Not flush.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

kamas716 wrote:

xhazk wrote:

Actually, no, there should be a small gap.  Not flush.

The gab between the screen and the black plastic on my NST is so small it's almost unnoticeable, like maybe a hairs width.  If I'm understanding the OP correctly, he's got a gap between the rubberized grey piece and the hard plastic piece, which would be a defect.

keriflur
0 Kudos

kamas716 wrote:
The gab between the screen and the black plastic on my NST is so small it's almost unnoticeable, like maybe a hairs width.  If I'm understanding the OP correctly, he's got a gap between the rubberized grey piece and the hard plastic piece, which would be a defect.

Hmm.  I have no gap between the screen and the plastic.  None at all, not even a hair.  The gap that I have, all the way around, is between the plastic and the rubber.  I'm fairly certain mine's not defective.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

kamas716 wrote:

Hmm.  I have no gap between the screen and the plastic.  None at all, not even a hair.  The gap that I have, all the way around, is between the plastic and the rubber.  I'm fairly certain mine's not defective.

Hmm.  The only time I have a gap between the grey rubber and the hard black plastic is if I stick something in between them (fingernail, knife).  I suppose the gap between the black plastic and screen could be from when I dropped it.  It still works fine.

Contributor
xhazk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Update:

The Nook ST was brought into the store today and they replaced it with no fuss. The new Nook has no visible defect like the first one had. Looks like It's time to start reading. :smileywink:

The new one does also have a minute gap all around, but it's clearly proper construction in this case, unlike the first model.

The separation is so subtle that you wouldn't see it without fairly good eyes and close inspection. It may not be a gap at all, but rather where the rounded edges of the two layers meet and offer the illusion of a gap.

None of that matters of course, just idle speculation. :smileyhappy:

Contributor
RPO46
0 Kudos

There is no doubt that this adhesive defect exists because on mine you can see STRINGS of glue between the rubber faceplate and the black plastic. The problem with this is that it creates a gap with glue inside it to trap dirt, hairs etc. that are difficult to remove. I will try to get a picture and post it.

My problem with the "solution" is that I am getting tired of returning these units for quality issues. I am on my 3d. One had a sticky power switch, the second had severe marring and misalignment of the perimeter bezel, and this one has the unglueing problem. In each case you have to deregister the returned reader, fully charge the new unit, install the 1.2.1 firmware update, and re-register- not to mention the gas wasted on several trips to B&N. This definitely discourages one from buying several units as gifts! It's too bad, because apart from these unpredictable quality issues, I think the ST is an almost perfect reader.

Contributor
RPO46
0 Kudos

Here's a picture. The left side shows proper adhesion. The right side shows the rubber lifting with reflective strands of what I assume to be contact cement. DSCN0300b-small.JPG

Correspondent
SkipperT
0 Kudos

Cool conditions here but I also could see glue separating from the first day out of the box.  My feeling, however, is that any replacement would probably be the same.  I'm happy enough.

A man who doesn't read has no advantage over one who can't read. - Mark Twain (paraphrased)