Contributor
conta
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Nook ST battery care

Hi,

so what's the right way to do it?

Should I turn it off during nights?

Or eg when I know I am not gonna read one week? Or what is time?

Is screensaver really saver? I mean as far as i know it makes page and then dont need more energy to keep it running, so I guess when screensaver is running [screen], it takes energy to change picture?

And another recommendation to make sure in 2 years my battery wont be running like few hours?

Thanks!

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

Re: Nook ST battery care

[ Edited ]

No need to power down at night.

If you don't wake it for several days it will automatically power down. If you know you aren't going to use it for awhile (such as a week) go ahead and power it down yourself.

The "screensaver" is not what people are traditionally used to from screensavers on old tube-style computer monitors. It isn't saving the screen from burn in. It doesn't use extra energy to keep it there. It's use is mainly aesthetic, though perhaps if you don't want anyone to know what you're reading (say, a steamy romance novel) when you set it down it does have a certain convenience to it.

As far as ultimate battery life, who knows. In the current electronics world, most manufacturers are not that worried about 2 years out. By then they expect you will be upgrading to something newer/shinier.

(Not that I agree with that last philosophy, that's just how it is. I still have electronics well over 5 years old that work just fine. The 1st gen iPod nano's battery life is still at about 3-5 hours after 5 years, but I am glad apple is replacing it for other reasons anyway. Back on point, though I get extended life out of my purchases, I know many more consumers have bought in to the upgrade every 2 years mentality.)

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

As RH said, just hit the "n" button to put it to sleep when you're done reading.  This also avoids any unintended page-turns (as someone found out here who was just closing their cover).

Make sure you keep your wi-fi OFF except when you absolutely need it.  That takes huge amounts of power and even more when it can't find a network because it's constantly scanning for a connection.

Contributor
conta
0 Kudos

thanks guys, vey helpful info.

my wifi is always off - putting on only when dowloading books

i hope my nook st will last about 3 years, or more ;]