Contributor
dreyslibrary
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Nook STR completely frozen, unless plugged in.

I bought my Nook STR a month ago for a birthday present.  It's been working great, until two days ago.  Now, it won't respond to anything (not even the BACK power button reset) unless it is plugged into the charger.  And when it IS plugged in, it will reset, and the battery shows 15000000000% (I might have one or two too many 0s, but that's pretty close).  Help!

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

Re: Nook STR completely frozen, unless plugged in.

Contributor
dreyslibrary
0 Kudos

Ugh. I was hoping somebody had some magic formula that would fix this.  :smileysad:  Thanks!

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

Sorry.  There have been two reports of the battery indicator doing that, that I've seen over the last couple of weeks.  The only recourse was to get it replaced.  And since your N2E is only working when it's plugged in, it sounds as if there's a defective battery in it.

New User
pcech
0 Kudos

Good luck trying to get through to the 1-800 line.  I've been trying for voer two hours because my Nook is also frozen on the "sleep" screen.  Maybe customer service should change it's name to customer frustration!

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Actually, the NST and NSTG can possily be self-repaired.  

Found an interesting post on XDA that some found relevant here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1813384

Someone noticed that their NST would not come on, but was showing a green LED, implying that the battery was topped up. They took it apart and unhooked the battery, then hit the power button for ~30 seconds.

Put the battery back online, buttoned it up - and hey presto, the device worked again. Apparently the nook was stuck thinking it had zero charge, and so wouldn't turn on even with a full charge.

Opening up an NST / NSTG is a lot simpler than doing the same on an NC or NT.  

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
keriflur

roustabout wrote:

Actually, the NST and NSTG can possily be self-repaired.  

Found an interesting post on XDA that some found relevant here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1813384

Someone noticed that their NST would not come on, but was showing a green LED, implying that the battery was topped up. They took it apart and unhooked the battery, then hit the power button for ~30 seconds.

Put the battery back online, buttoned it up - and hey presto, the device worked again. Apparently the nook was stuck thinking it had zero charge, and so wouldn't turn on even with a full charge.

Opening up an NST / NSTG is a lot simpler than doing the same on an NC or NT.  

I've heard it can be quite difficult getting the back off and then on again without breaking it.  I don't think I'd attempt this with a device that was under warranty.

roustabout
0 Kudos

Interesting - the folks on xda seem to think that getting the back off is pretty easy.

Don't have one here, but check out Renate's nookstand:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1661902

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
bobstro
0 Kudos

There's a nice video on YouTube that you can use to judge for yourself. Looks like the trick is removing the uSD card, and removing the single screw with a torx driver.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 39 members 309 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: