New User
mrooney
0 Kudos

Nook Simple Touch Draining too fast

My Nook Simple Touch has been draining very fast. I read for less than an hour a day before sleeping, and I've usually been fine charging my nook once every couple of weeks, but lately my nook has been going dead in 2-3 days, sometimes without having used it at all.

Does anybody have an idea what might be causing that?

Scribe
frantastk

Re: Nook Simple Touch Draining too fast

Do you have it in a cover? Or does the rapid drain happen while it's in a bag of any kind? I had an issue with a rapidly draining battery and figured out it was my cover. Whenever I set my nook down with the cover, I would pick it up with a dead or near dead battery. If I had put it down naked (that is, the nook was naked, not me), it was fine. I bought a new cover for when I go out. I now use it without a cover at home. It fixed the issues I was having. I do still have the battery draining when I carry the nook in my bag, sometimes. I think (because my bag is small and crammed full of stuff) that it gets woken up repeatedly while I'm carrying it. It doesn't seem to happen when I'm carrying in a less full backpack, but it happens a lot in the crowded main compartment of my little purse.

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Is the amber charging light on, even when it's not plugged in?  If so, do a full power down and then turn it back on.  I ve had this happen occasionally and it causes it to drain quickly.

Distinguished Correspondent
RJR443

Every now and again, my Nook  will experience rapid battery drain. When this happens, I take a soft, lint-free cloth or a very small (artist's) brush and clean around the edges of the screen.  This fixes the problem every time.   It's possible that very fine hairs or nearly invisible pieces of fluzz can get trapped in the interface between screen and bezel.  These things can activate the sensors that control the touch-screen functions.  This will cause  rapid drain.

New User
debocrat
0 Kudos

I have no idea what's causing it, but I just want to add a big ME TOO - and BN support is stonewalling me on the issue. I charged to 100% at 11:00 this morning, and by 8:00 p.m., with zero reading time, it was down to 88%.  This is the second Nook I've had since October that behaved this way - perfect for a month, then draining way too fast.  I returned the first and will return this one (had to fight BN to return the first one, purchased the second at Best Buy which allows returns until the end of January).

Mercury_Glitch

Things to check if it's the NST

1) Is WiFi on?  Even in sleep mode if you've got WiFi on and are not in an area with WiFi the Nook keeps looking for a signal.  That will drain the battery fast. 

The reason for it always looking for signal is in case you have pre-ordered books or subscriptions. 

2) Is it being stored somewhere that could cause the power button to become depressed (if so, I suggest giving it a vacation haha).  If your Nook is on and the power button keeps getting pressed it's basically like you're reading for the period of time that's happening. 

The solution to this is generally get a case with a stiff / hard back.  You may have a harder time hitting the power button, but as you don't need to turn off a NST or NSTG just put it in to sleep mode this shouldn't be an issue.

And as a note from someone who works at the Nook desk a lot in a retail store, battery drain is one of the hardest issues to really diagnose.  We have no idea what conditions you put your Nook through that may be causing the battery to drain, which is not to say we doubt you when you say it's happening.  However, if you are putting the device through things that would cause the battery to drain replacing your Nook wont solve your issue. 

Personally I'd rather my issue was actually resolved and have to wait a little longer for that to happen rather than my issue not be solved but have next to no wait. 

It's also one of the most difficult things to get store support to authorize a replacement for because of the issues mentioned above. 

Now, that's assuming the B&N is going by the book.  As with everything exceptions have been, and likely will continue to be made.  So if you have a different experience just keep in mind that whoever was helping you may have been doing just that for you. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
New User
maverickchan
0 Kudos

I had a similar issue.  RMA'd and had the same issue.  I found that if I dont manually activate the "screensaver" by pressing the button on the back, and just let the screen time out on its own, the battery doesnt get drained.  Otherwise, it is completely drained within 2 days and I it's too low to power on.

Reader
av8or
0 Kudos

i never really had a problem till the i updated to the newest firmware, now every so often it'll drain the battery in a couple days. sometimes it last as long as usual.
also some of the times that i charge it after one of these 'fast drain' periods it'll start up different than i left it (either on a different page or sometimes even a different book than i was reading)
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Every time I've seen this happen I've noticed the orange charging light on even when it's unplugged.  I usually find a full power down (hold the button on the back for thirty seconds) and restart clears it up.

Correspondent
Byteguy

av8or wrote:
also some of the times that i charge it after one of these 'fast drain' periods it'll start up different than i left it (either on a different page or sometimes even a different book than i was reading)

There's your smoking-gun.  Something is waking your Nook up and it thinks something is touching the screen.  That can be like reading for a month in just hours as the nook draws and redraws the screen (which is what takes all the power).

How are you carrying it or storing it?  Does your case have a button on the back that bumps the power button (this is what drove me nuts with my daughter's NST until I filed the plastic down so it couldn't do that).

I recently went on a flight and wasn't careful how I tossed my NST in my backpack.  the "n" key kept getting bumped by the other stuff I put in the pocket with it and the unit was DEAD before I got in my seat.

Reader
av8or
0 Kudos

i have a case logic fold over case, and it more than adequately protects the n and the power button, and would keep anything from entering the screens 'view'

but again, i never had a problem until this new firmware (have had the same case since i got my nook)

Correspondent
Byteguy

Are you putting the nook to sleep BEFORE you close the case?

The fact that you're seeing a different page and/or book means it's staying awake and thinking something is touching it.

Reader
av8or
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

yes i usually push the power button to 'sleep' it prior, unless it has 'gone to sleep' on its own
not that it matters, because there's nothing thats touching or in the screen area to cause it to think there are attempts at touching