Reader
PinkGolfer
0 Kudos

Nook Simple Touch WiFi Design Flaw Being Covered Up by B&N

I just bought a Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight, and am taking it back for a full refund.  I cannot connect to my WPA-2 Secure Home Network unless I program the MAC address for my NOOK into the wireless router I am using.  But if I configure my router for MAC address filtering, this will not allow any other devices in my home to connect to my router unless I also program their MAC addresses as well.  And of course this proposed solution will not work if I go to a friend's house and want to connect to their secure wireless connection.  The other option of taking security off of the router is a non-starter.

Barnes and Noble knows about this issue, and according to someone in their digital support team, B&N is actively working on a firmware update to correct it, but no timetable was given on when the patch will be made generally available to the public.

We need B&N to come clean about the issue, stop wasting people's time, and stop guiding them through meaningless support calls trying to mask the issue.  I was even told at one point by B&N Support that it was an issue with my Internet Service Provider Verizon and wasted my time and Verizon's going through this issue with them.  As far as I am concerned, B&N was misleading in their attempts to hide this issue, and they have cost me hours of wasted time chasing something that they knew about all along.

So come on B&N - do the right thing and come clean.  You have a great product whose reputation is getting more and more tarnished every day you hide this serious issue.  And get everyone on your engineering team focused on fixing it and getting a patch pushed out to correct it.  Once this is behind you, take a look at how you mishandled this as a product team and a corporation, and hold those who made some very bad decisions accountable. 

In the meantime, look for a slew of returns until this is resolved.  And what are you going to do to compensate me for my inconvenience and all of the time I lost chasing this non-issue you hid from the user community?

Wordsmith
h2oskierc
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Simple Touch WiFi Design Flaw Being Covered Up by B&N

First I have heard of a so-called Wifi Design Flaw.  Mine works fine, I don't use MAC Address Filtering...

Maybe I am not understanding your problem, but I have zero issues connecting to WPA-2 networks, home, work, or wifi tethering from my cell phone.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

No Cover-Up Going On

[ Edited ]

I have WPA2 security and have no problems at all.

Before returning the nook, you could have checked in here and gotten help.  Just sayin'.

Contributor
WideAwake
0 Kudos

Quite a scathing missive for something few of us have heard about. My nook connects everywhere with no issues. The only quirk I've run into is a couple times it would not immediately connect when I added a network. Turning wifi off and right back on fixed it immediately, and each time after its been fine, and honestly I think that was because it was non-broadcasting, which may not be a quirk at all. Hardly a reason to send B&N up in flames. The other posters are spot on - check in here before you get your nickers in a bunch. It would be awkward if the issues was your own router/setup. FYI, due to another non-related issue, I have had 4 glowlights, and none of them have the issue you described on various networks.
bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

It's not the first I've heard about it!

In some of these cases, a work-around/hack works, as in the OP's use of MAC filtering, turning off 802.11n, and other half-measures. However, that doesn't help much if you don't control the wireless equipment. One of the big drivers behind the 1.1.2 update was fixing wifi issues according to some reports. If the OP isn't on the latest firmware, that's the first thing I'd suggest trying.

I've got 2 NST and have not had this issue, but I am certainly reading posts of problems with wifi on the NST, both here and elsewhere. Our esteemed Roustabout is even mentioned in this post, which suggests using a staic IP address mapping for the NST. Perhaps worth a try, since it won't require reengineering the entire WLAN.

It sounds like the OP is fairly savvy, and has experience using other devices on that same wifi, all of which work. I'm not so quick to just write off his/her report in light of these others.

As far as compenstation, well, good luck with that!

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Does the glow light wifi work different than the first ST? I didn't have to program the mac address in on mine. I just visited my mom and connected to her wifi by simply typing in the pass phrase? Like others not sure what problem you are experiencing.
Contributor
WideAwake
0 Kudos

Thanks Bobstro for the clarification. Although I don't think this is any kind of 'cover up' either. If anything, more of a compatibility thing. Happens with other devices too, and I'll still say some of the issues are user/configurations.

Regardless, OP I hope you get things sorted out.

Reader
PinkGolfer
0 Kudos

Re: No Cover-Up Going On

did check with B&N Nook support and they admitted they are having a problem and are currently working on a software update. Just sayin.
keriflur
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

It's not the first I've heard about it!

In some of these cases, a work-around/hack works, as in the OP's use of MAC filtering, turning off 802.11n, and other half-measures. However, that doesn't help much if you don't control the wireless equipment. One of the big drivers behind the 1.1.2 update was fixing wifi issues according to some reports. If the OP isn't on the latest firmware, that's the first thing I'd suggest trying.

I've got 2 NST and have not had this issue, but I am certainly reading posts of problems with wifi on the NST, both here and elsewhere. Our esteemed Roustabout is even mentioned in this post, which suggests using a staic IP address mapping for the NST. Perhaps worth a try, since it won't require reengineering the entire WLAN.

It sounds like the OP is fairly savvy, and has experience using other devices on that same wifi, all of which work. I'm not so quick to just write off his/her report in light of these others.

As far as compenstation, well, good luck with that!

Only one of these issues* (the second) has anything to do with WPA2 security, the issue that the OP was claiming to have, and the user switched to a multiple security mode to resolve the issue.  That, to me, sounds like a very specific nook-to-router issue with that particular router.

So, again, not a widespread issue that's being covered up.

*The first issue is mixed mode, the third issue went away on it's own, and the fourth is about something unrelated.

Distinguished Correspondent
msmoonlite
0 Kudos

I've had to program the MAC address on my nook a few times (changing nooks and resetting etc.) I also have at least 6 or 7 other devices connected to my router. I've never had a problem connecting all of the devices; I've always had to put in the MAC address because our home network has security enabled.

I'm not sure what the 'cover up' is.

bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

PinkGolfer wrote:
did check with B&N Nook support and they admitted they are having a problem and are currently working on a software update. Just sayin.

Pink, going by the fact that you're still here, can we assume you still own the NST? Are you interested in getting it working at this point?

1. What version of firmware are you on? (Settings->Device info should tell you).

2. Did you try assigning a static DHCP address to the NST? You still need the NST MAC address, but this won't affect any other devices.

I don't agree that there's a conspiracy, but B&N certainly doesn't exactly come out and say that the 1.4.2 firmware fixes wifi issues either. Never attribute to conspiracy what can be explained by poor customer service.

Whether the issue is WPA2, firmware bugs or phases of the moon, wifi is common problem with the NST. I see nothing in the OP that indicates WPA2 is the problem. B&N really should provide more troubleshooting assistance for non-technical folks. A troubleshooting option to show dmesg or log output would help considerably, and would help the poor beleagured B&N support staff make customers happy. There are a lot of very sharp folks here on the B&N forums. Unfortunately, B&N hasn't really given us any way of asking Ping meaningful questions other than to say "works for me."

RHWright
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:
Whether the issue is WPA2, firmware bugs or phases of the moon, wifi is common problem with the NST.

I can't deny many have had wi-fi issues, especially prior to the last firmware update.

In my limited experience, I have had no problem with wi-fi, however.

Admittedly, I only access public, unsecured networks (public library, B&N, etc). So maybe it's the proliferation of numerous combinations of hardware, software, and security set-ups? The NOOK should work with most of them, but hardly can be expected to have a smooth ride with all of them.

keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

bobstro wrote:

I don't agree that there's a conspiracy, but B&N certainly doesn't exactly come out and say that the 1.4.2 firmware fixes wifi issues either. Never attribute to conspiracy what can be explained by poor customer service.

Just to avoid confusion  - the current version of the NST firmware is 1.1.2.  :smileyhappy:

bobstro wrote:
I see nothing in the OP that indicates WPA2 is the problem.

The OP mentions that it is a WPA2 network in the first para, and never mentions any other issue, then states that it's a "known issue" and that B&N is working on a fix.  If it is NOT a WPA2 issue, then what exactly is B&N working on??? (Question to OP, not Bobstro)

So, if we assume that this may or may not be a WPA2 issue, then we'll need to know router make and model, if it's broadcasting, and if it's g, n or g/n, in addition to what Bobstro asked for.  Also, does the router have Linksys Speedboost?  The N2E does not work with Speedboost technology, AFAIK.

New User
Fivezenses
0 Kudos

I've had this problem for over 5 months with the NST. Its been updated as well when the firmware update came out. I have airport and I use Frontier. I never have problems when I'm in public, but at home zero connection. So I do think it's part B&N and part service provider.

And I've been trying for a long time with getting this to work. When I first updated, the NST worked and I could finally register and download books. After that zero connection since.

I just hope by October, B&N comes up with a new update for the NST, because its just getting annoying at this point.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

Fivezenses wrote:

I've had this problem for over 5 months with the NST. Its been updated as well when the firmware update came out. I have airport and I use Frontier. I never have problems when I'm in public, but at home zero connection. So I do think it's part B&N and part service provider.

And I've been trying for a long time with getting this to work. When I first updated, the NST worked and I could finally register and download books. After that zero connection since.

I just hope by October, B&N comes up with a new update for the NST, because its just getting annoying at this point.

The only specific Wifi problem of the NST was with certain Verizon routers. This was solved in the latest firmware. The only problems left are the same kind of general compatibility problems you see with other devices like for example the Kindle Fire.

Two simple things solve most Wifi connection problems:

1. Set speed to G, not N.

2. Use no spaces or other special characters in the SSID of your router

Other things to look at:

- Use WPA2 with PSK as encryption

- If you use WEP encryption use  WEP Open, WEP Shared is not supported

- Make sure your router firmware is updated to the latest version.

What problem are you having with your Wifi connection?

keriflur

geertm wrote:
The only specific Wifi problem of the NST was with certain Verizon routers. This was solved in the latest firmware. The only problems left are the same kind of general compatibility problems you see with other devices like for example the Kindle Fire.

Two simple things solve most Wifi connection problems:

1. Set speed to G, not N.

2. Use no spaces or other special characters in the SSID of your router

Other things to look at:

- Use WPA2 with PSK as encryption

- If you use WEP encryption use  WEP Open, WEP Shared is not supported

- Make sure your router firmware is updated to the latest version.

What problem are you having with your Wifi connection?

To add to this list:

There was a problem with Westell routers that occurred with the same release that broke the Verizon routers, and this was also fixed with the same firmware release that fixed the Verizon routers (so if you have either of these routers, make sure you are running the latest firmware on your nook).

To my knowledge, the NST (N2E) does not work with routers utilizing Linksys Speedboost, though I haven't tried it since the last firmware release.

- If you are not broadcasting your SSID and you can't initialize your nook with your router, change your router to broadcast your SSID, initialize your nook, and then change back to not broadcasting.

- If you cannot connect and are unsure if you have MAC filtering enabled, check this.

And as always, if you are posting to get help, please post your router make and model and any information you can about your setup, such as MAC filtering, g, n, or g/n, security type, etc.  If you're just looking to gripe, that's fine, but we want to help you, and we can't if we don't know anything about your setup.

New User
NookGirlTech
0 Kudos

Sorry buddy but, I am having the same problem. 5 seconds I was on the phone with the B&N tech support for a friends nookHD+ after he already returned his nookHD for the same problem, I tried very hard to fix his nook but tech support did not help much and after that call my nook started acting up it hasn't connected to wireless since.
Reader 2
SpringheeldJack
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have two Sony, three Nooks, and four Kindles, and the only wireless problems I have are on the two Simple Touches. I solved it by going in and setting the router to the dedicated Mac address for each eReader. Talk about a nightmare... My first edition Nook, however, worked right out of the box. Not sure what the problem is with the STs, but it's definitely tough to fix for the layman. It's unfortunate, because the people who are going to run into this problem will likely be a group of people who aren't tech savvy enough with their network to fix the problem. For something advertised as being "simple", it's anything but when it comes to getting online and getting books. I should also add that to actually connect, you'll still have to go into BN just to get your system booted to where you can even retrieve the Mac address. So plan to spend a good chunk of time getting this to work. But unfortunately for some, the most likely solution will be to purchase another ereader until BN gets its act together and updates their software.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Weird because my NSTG has worked fine with ATT wireless, Time Warner wireless, and verizon wireless.

Which, given parent companies and all covers a lot of the major providers.  I didn't have to change anything with those carriers either.

My NST also worked flawlessly with ATT and Time Warner (wasn't around the verizon spot with it to test it).

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

SpringheeldJack wrote:

I should also add that to actually connect, you'll still have to go into BN just to get your system booted to where you can even retrieve the Mac address.

Are the SimpleTouch models really that secretive?

My First Edition and HD+ both reveal MAC addresses without needing any wireless system in view. (Main page of Settings on the 1st Ed; I think it's under Device Information on the HD+, which is under Settings... MAC addresses are fixed to the hardware chip, so all one needs is a system that can read the chip itself -- not like a DHCP issued IP address, which can change each time the device connects to a WiFi hotspot).

Baron Wulfraed