Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Re: No Cover-Up Going On

Wulfraed wrote:

SpringheeldJack wrote:

I should also add that to actually connect, you'll still have to go into BN just to get your system booted to where you can even retrieve the Mac address.

Are the SimpleTouch models really that secretive?

My First Edition and HD+ both reveal MAC addresses without needing any wireless system in view. (Main page of Settings on the 1st Ed; I think it's under Device Information on the HD+, which is under Settings... MAC addresses are fixed to the hardware chip, so all one needs is a system that can read the chip itself -- not like a DHCP issued IP address, which can change each time the device connects to a WiFi hotspot).

I don't recall what all was available before I first registered it.  But, the MAC address is listed in the "settings" page when you go to "device info" and choose "about your Nook".  That page will also tell you the serial number of the device and what software version you are running.  1.1.2 and 1.2.1 should both connect fine, some of the other software versions had some problems with certain routers.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Wordsmith
tmr4
0 Kudos

As I recall when I registered my daughter's NST at christmas, the MAC address was available during the start up process. I didn't use it since I haven't had a problem but I did notice it because I know in earlier versions of the software this wasn't as readily available and some folks had problems.
Reader 2
SpringheeldJack
0 Kudos

No. It's easy to find. The problem is you can't get past the Nook setup screen without an active internet connection. So you have to go to a BN to connect, then you'll have access to the setup screen to get the MAC address. :-)
Reader 2
SpringheeldJack
0 Kudos

If it was, I certainly didn't see it. But it's possible that I missed it somehow or another, I suppose.
Wordsmith
tmr4
0 Kudos

I think there was a button for the MAC address at the top on the very first screen when I started the registration process. I could easily be mistaken though since I didn't need to use it.
Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

It makes zero sense that the mac address would not be visible out of the box. But having your router setup using mac addresses is a waste of time since it provides no real security. Just turn it off.

New User
Hchu
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Simple Touch WiFi Design Flaw Being Covered Up by B&N

I had the same problem.

Router is Alice IAD WLAN 4421, provided by O2 in germany. Connection could be established to the router, but no internet connection. The Ip adresses are distributet by DHCP (dynamic), encryption was WPA/WPA2 and the connection mode was set on 802.11b/g/n.

I now changed router configuration to WPA only and 802.11g only. First it did not work, but after turning off and turning on the device after a while, now it works. The problem is thus clearly a problem of router configuration an Nook firmware.

I am realy angry having spent a day finding this out :smileymad:, as the Nook support site is completly useless and I found the answer only in this forum. Thank you all :smileywink:. I am no expert and I expect a company to program their firmweare user friendly and not relying on user testing, this is not a beta phase ... these are big hopes in the world of software but I am still amazed what kind of products can be sold. I would clearly not recommend to buy a nook simple touch glow light, until they have a better firmware. Thankfully I did not plan to use the Barnes and Noble store often (I consider to don't use it at all now) and I am thus not that dependent on WiFi connection. I think that it is a shame to sell a device with such a poor firmware and I am disapointed of Barnes and Noble. I refuse to be beta tester for a device I get for quiet a high amount of money.

Inspired Contributor
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

If, as you state, you had a connection to the /router/ then lack of internet access is a router problem -- that's what it does: route LAN (which includes WiFi) to the WAN (Internet). If you had a LAN connection, then it is the router that is "not routing".

FYI: WiFi N mode does not get along well with WiFi B/G modes. You are better off leaving 2.4GHz at B/G, and saving N for a 5GHz WiFi system (the Nook only sees 2.4GHz).

Baron Wulfraed
New User
Dirofilaria
0 Kudos

I was having problems connecting to my home wifi network (Netgear WNR 2000 b/g/n 2.4GHz) with my NST (firmware versions 1.2.0 and 1.2.1 both). The NST would connect to the wifi network, but not the internet. Couldn't figure it out until I kept seeing folks having problems with wifi.

Changing to the b/g mode (54mbps) fixed it with no other changes necessary. It's a really irritating problem because none of my other devices have a problem. My wife's nook color was fine with the previous setup. And it's an older device.
New User
Fivezenses
0 Kudos

I do not have Verizon for phone nor internet. I use Frontier with an airport for the mac's in the house. And I've tried the verizon connnection internet wifi at a friends house na dit worked fine. 

New User
ckreads
0 Kudos

I wanted to buy this because it has e ink and I think it has ability for external SD card.. but I read 190 + reviews regarding problems with pin holes showing up on the screen due to the backlight technology.

I saw a cnet contributor take apart the old touch and new to see how they invented the backlight, but didn't notice the "underlight" when he showed it.

B&N is acknowledging the problem, but they are saying to be careful wth unit as you should with all e ink readers. But most of these customers said that they had either had it briefly, and not dropped or abused it, or just after normal use of 2 weeks these pin holes of light appeared. One reviewer had 1 pin hole and with all the back talk he got, he deliberately dropped his keys on the screen and joila' there was 4 more pin holes in exactly where keys hit.

I am not delicate and wonder if e ink is the right answer for me, or is this just the nook. I read at night quite a bit, but can you do so with a bedlamp as you would any other book. I am quite confused about amazon too as I read that they have all these commercials on their system now.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Simple Touch Glow Tear Issues

ckreads wrote:

I wanted to buy this because it has e ink and I think it has ability for external SD card.. but I read 190 + reviews regarding problems with pin holes showing up on the screen due to the backlight technology.

I saw a cnet contributor take apart the old touch and new to see how they invented the backlight, but didn't notice the "underlight" when he showed it.

B&N is acknowledging the problem, but they are saying to be careful wth unit as you should with all e ink readers. But most of these customers said that they had either had it briefly, and not dropped or abused it, or just after normal use of 2 weeks these pin holes of light appeared. One reviewer had 1 pin hole and with all the back talk he got, he deliberately dropped his keys on the screen and joila' there was 4 more pin holes in exactly where keys hit.

I am not delicate and wonder if e ink is the right answer for me, or is this just the nook. I read at night quite a bit, but can you do so with a bedlamp as you would any other book. I am quite confused about amazon too as I read that they have all these commercials on their system now.

Amazon's paperwhite has issues too.  The tear issue is supposed to be resolved now, but if you're nervous, get the Simple Touch without the glowlight.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

The glow is useful as a conventional e-ink reader even if the pinholes / tears turn up. The glowlight function is only on if you want it, and the tears are only visible when the light is on, so if one develops a tear you can use it without the light until it is replaced. 

BN is replacing units with the tearing without a problem (at least in-store) and they come with a 1 year warranty against defects. 

Having the SD card is a big benefit - in addition to storing things on your nook, it lets you do software modification if you like. 

You pay a premium for the glow;  if you don't want the feature, the non-glow is still available and is a very good price, at least to me. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Reader 2
EdwardC
0 Kudos

The tears are not necessarily abuse or impact problems.  I have now had to return my 4th unit.  The last one was 2 returns in 1 day because as soon as I got the new unit charged up and turned it on there was a very visible tear.  It is kind of ridiculous to expect consumers to just ignore this.  I purchased the Glow version as a replacement of my other Simple Touch because I wanted the light.  When a bright tear of light obscures text it is a problem.  I am very careful with my technology and don't abuse any of my electronics, typically getting many years of usage.  I am not impressed at all with the quality control on these units.