New User
ultralame
0 Kudos

Nook Simple Touch locked on sleep screen

My simple touch had at least 50% battery last night.  This morning it was locked on the sleep screen.  It won't respond to holding down either of the two menu buttons (back button and "n" button) for 30 seconds, or both at the same time.  Removing the memory card and replugging it does nothing.  Plugging it in to the charge cable causes the green light to come on, no other change.

What's up?

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4

Re: Nook Simple Touch locked on sleep screen

If the battery dies it will remain on whatever screen was showing when it died. However, if charging does not alleviate the issue, I would bring it in to a B&N store (if you have one near you) and have them look at it. It's possible that you may need to exchange it.
F_O
New User
F_O
0 Kudos

I'm just now encountering the exact same issue...yesterday my (10-month old?) simple touch was stuck on the sleep screen and neither that Home button nor the power button was working.

I would hate having to return it...but I guess I'll have to...this is just another issue prompting me to really buy a Kindle....sad, really, given my decades old loyalty to B&N

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

F_O wrote:

I'm just now encountering the exact same issue...yesterday my (10-month old?) simple touch was stuck on the sleep screen and neither that Home button nor the power button was working.

I would hate having to return it...but I guess I'll have to...this is just another issue prompting me to really buy a Kindle....sad, really, given my decades old loyalty to B&N

With nothing else to go on it sounds like the battery is dead or failed.

If the battery died while in sleep mode it may take up to 1 hour charging on a wall outlet and 2 or more hours on a USB port before it responds to the power button.

Leaving wifi enabled is the most common culprit.

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat

F_O wrote:

If it's 10 months old, it's under warranty and you can get a replacement. I'm not sure what this has to do with buying a Kindle. Do you believe that Kindles are exempt from failure?

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
New User
RocketGranny
0 Kudos

Just chiming in: My nook is frozen in sleep mode.

(1) Yes, I had a memory card which I have now removed.

(2) Yes, I've charged it for several hours already

(3) All buttons are totally unresponsive. 

What's really sad is what this says about Barnes & Noble's QUALITY CONTROL. 

(1) Nook Gen-One

- The bezel cracked within a few months of use.

- cheap plastic? poor design?

(2) Nook Simple Touch

- 3 months old. 

- frozen in sleep mode. unusable.

- bad battery?

With this track record, I don't know that I'll purchase a third B&N ereader product. 

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

RocketGranny wrote:

Just chiming in: My nook is frozen in sleep mode.

(1) Yes, I had a memory card which I have now removed.

(2) Yes, I've charged it for several hours already

(3) All buttons are totally unresponsive. 

What's really sad is what this says about Barnes & Noble's QUALITY CONTROL. 

(1) Nook Gen-One

- The bezel cracked within a few months of use.

- cheap plastic? poor design?

(2) Nook Simple Touch

- 3 months old. 

- frozen in sleep mode. unusable.

- bad battery?

With this track record, I don't know that I'll purchase a third B&N ereader product. 

Make sure you clean the screen and keep the inside edges free of dust dirt and hair. The NST uses infared beams and foreign objects will make it non responsive.

New User
usmc47
0 Kudos

found a solution on another site, clean bottom edges of screen with dry q-tip. dust can affect the IR sensor down there and keep screen locked in sleep mode.