New User
AntonBe
0 Kudos

Nook Simple Touch not booting

This morning, ive received a nook from an Ebay seller. After charging it for several hours, ive plugged the device into my computer to transfer a few books. The device popped USB mode message. After the tranfer ive safely removed the device and unplugged the cable. Ever since the USB message is the only thing i see. When i plug it into the wall, i get an orange led. If i keep pressing the power button (10,20,30 sec, short fast, tried it all) i see a green light for several seconds that turns back orange shortafter. When the cable is unplugged, there is no response what so ever.

I can access all nooks files from the computer though.

Any suggestions? do i even have warrently if i imported it to belgium through UK ebay seller. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Simple Touch not booting

AntonBe wrote:

This morning, ive received a nook from an Ebay seller. After charging it for several hours, ive plugged the device into my computer to transfer a few books. The device popped USB mode message. After the tranfer ive safely removed the device and unplugged the cable. Ever since the USB message is the only thing i see. When i plug it into the wall, i get an orange led. If i keep pressing the power button (10,20,30 sec, short fast, tried it all) i see a green light for several seconds that turns back orange shortafter. When the cable is unplugged, there is no response what so ever.

I can access all nooks files from the computer though.

Any suggestions? do i even have warrently if i imported it to belgium through UK ebay seller. 

I don't believe you have warranty if you were not the original buyer and do not have the original purchase date receipt, especially on a device that's been out more than two years as this one has.

New User
AntonBe
0 Kudos

It was an Ebay powerseller with an eShop. So ive received the device unopened, first time use

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

You MIGHT have a warranty. Though, to excercise it you may have to take it back to the UK as I don't think Nook is supported in Belgium.

I'd try contacting the seller you bought if from first.
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
New User
AntonBe
0 Kudos

i was actually hoping for some magic trick to reboot/restore a device

keriflur
0 Kudos

AntonBe wrote:

i was actually hoping for some magic trick to reboot/restore a device

There is a magic trick to restore, but it requires the device to respond to button presses and to be able to reboot.  If you're pressing and holding the back button and the device isn't shutting down, then the 8-failed-reboots trick isn't going to work for you.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Press and hold the back button on your NOOK while doing a SLOOOOOWWW count to 30.

While you sound quite knowledgeable and informed, I can't help feeling you are just not holding the button down long enough.

New User
AntonBe
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Tnx for the suggestions. Tried the longest hold humanly possible. No result.

Feels like the battery is dead. But would it then also not boot when plugged in?

Its a shame rlly. Finally got my first eReader, only to discover that its a cup holder at its best. 

I guess that George Martin will have to find a new medium to capture my soul with

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

You would just have to go and mention Mr. Martin.

I suspect that the battery is dead, this can happen when the Nook is not used for long periods of time.  Which, given the information you've provided sounds reasonable.  An ebay seller likely purchased them in bulk to sell off. 

I would suggest plugging the Nook in to a wall outlet (assuming the plug you've got is compatible or if you've got a converter, not sure if one is needed for UK plugs to Belgum outlets).  Leave it in over night.  Then try the following

Hold the power button down for 20 seconds, release for 5, hold for 5.  If that doesn't work you can try holding the power button down for 30 seconds.

Try both of those while the Nook is plugged in, and when it's unplugged.

I also presume you're ejecting the Nook drive when you disconnect it from your computer.  I don't think this would cause the issue, but if you just unplugged the Nook you may want to try plugging it in to your computer and then ejecting the Nook drive then unplugging it.

I hope this gets you up and running, the Song of Ice and Fire series is very good.  The TV series does it justice, but still pales in comparison.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Correspondent
Byteguy

[ Edited ]

Just to add one tiny bit of info...

When you plug it in to the charger, make sure the yellow light comes on (it make take a couple of seconds).  That tells you that it's charging and not fully charged.

Leave it until it turns green (fully charged).  This may take hours and hours for the first charge.

If the light isn't coming on, it is NOT charging.  Check your charger or try another (the NST uses any standard micro-usb charger, luckily).

It may be that your charger is the problem.  Yes, with just a tiny charge it will connect to the computer (and then pull power as it's connected so it will keep working) but it will not boot.

Q: why are George RR Martin's tweets only 10 characters long?

A: because he already killed off the other 130 characters!