Contributor
Tquinn2
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Nook Simple Touch requires OMAP 3630 Driver, not available on Windows XP Pro SP3

As per the title, we just plugged in a brand new Simple Touch given as a gift into the USB port of our computer.  The computer kicked into the mode of looking for software for "OMAP3630."  I let it try to install the software "automatically," and that failed, and the operating system suggested loading the software from a disk, which was not provided with the Nook. 

We were able to get the Nook to hook up wirelessly to the computer and get to our B&N account.  I don't know why it needs OMAP3630 hardware compatibility.  Does anyone know why it looks for that?  I noticed several comments on this site about OMAP 3630, but all were in the area talking about the Nook Color.  I seem to be the first person to report a problem with the Nook Simple Touch.

If the Simple Touch does need this hardware driver, then does anyone know where can I find the right driver for Windows XP Pro SP3?

tq

Contributor
Tquinn2
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Simple Touch requires OMAP 3630 Driver, not available on Windows XP Pro SP3

--

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Simple Touch requires OMAP 3630 Driver, not available on Windows XP Pro SP3

OMAP3630 is the cpu in the nook and there is no driver for that. Windows should be installing a generic removable drive USB driver.

I'll see the same message breifly if I plug the nook in turned off then power the nook up. Try a different USB port. The port your using may not be supplying enough power for the nook.

Contributor
Tquinn2
0 Kudos

Thanks for the information.  I was pretty sure I had it in a high power USB, but just to be sure, I switched it to another USB port that I'm certain is high power, and got the same messages when it failed to connect.  Windows also popped up a little message over the system tray that said that the hardware installation was not completed, and I can see that it is not USB connected to the computer. 

I made certain this time that the Nook was powered up before plugging it in.  On the fourth try, when I let the system search for "software" for the OMAP 3630, it found it, and installed it, and a couple of other drivers.  I'm now connected. 

My conclusion is one of two things:  Either it failed to load the software or drivers (or whatever it was looking for since you said it doesn't need a driver), when I plugged the Nook in with it still being turned off.  If that is the problem, the solution is just to turn it on before attempting to connect it to the computer the first time.  Since we're new with the Nook, and it displays something even when it is "off," we just assumed it was on. 

If that doesn't work, keep trying three or four times, and maybe that is what made it work.

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

Tquinn2 wrote:

My conclusion is one of two things:  Either it failed to load the software or drivers (or whatever it was looking for since you said it doesn't need a driver), when I plugged the Nook in with it still being turned off.  If that is the problem, the solution is just to turn it on before attempting to connect it to the computer the first time.  Since we're new with the Nook, and it displays something even when it is "off," we just assumed it was on. 

There's one more possible variable. Maybe the USB cable wasn't completely seated in the NST on the first tries. I find it's exceedingly easy to plug it in almost all the way and not notice that it isn't all the way in. It seems to click in, but it's actually a little crooked. One side hasn't fully engaged. This can cause issues with both connectivity and charging. Check to see whether one side is slightly farther out than the other, then press on that side until it clicks in.

By the way, I took mine to the Nook counter at B&N to show them this phenomenon, and the salesperson there showed me several others, all of which suffered from the same exact flaw. The socket is just poorly engineered. (My cell phone uses the same kind of cable, and both its charger and the Nook cable plug into the phone firmly, first time, every time, unlike the NST.)

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
Contributor
Tquinn2
0 Kudos

Sun_Cat wrote:

There's one more possible variable. Maybe the USB cable wasn't completely seated in the NST on the first tries. I find it's exceedingly easy to plug it in almost all the way and not notice that it isn't all the way in.

I could see where that could be a problem, but in our case I don't think that was it.  The reason I'm fairly certain is that we did not fiddle with the cable at all, and were having repeated problems until we finally turned on the Nook and that permitted the computer to load the software. 

Furthermore, yesterday my wife (it's her Nook) tried to connect to the computer without turning it on, and we got the same OMAP 3630 error (even though that software had already installed correctly on the computer). 

So we disconnected the large end of the USB from the computer, closed out all the Nook software, turned on the Nook, and started over, and it worked fine.  Again, nothing was done at the small connection to the Nook.

Bottom line, for us at least, we know we need to turn on the Nook before we hook it up to the USB to avoid problems.

tq

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

When you say "off", do you mean that the nook is in sleep mode or that it is completely powered off?  I haven't had this problem, so I'm just curious.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Contributor
Tquinn2
0 Kudos

I'm about 80% confident that it was completely off, not in sleep mode.  Since we are new to the Nook, I'm not certain.  Don't have time right now to try it again, but if I do, I'll repost with that information.

tq

Contributor
Sowy
0 Kudos

I got this same error with my simple touch and I use windows 7. I'm still having problems and it isn't' my cable. It works great when I hook it to my husbands laptop. I tried all the usb ports and none worked. I stopped getting the error (only got it the first time I plugged into each port.) The nook charges just fine but won't go into usb mode on my laptop. Tried unistalling all my usb ports & reinstalling; still nothing. Just now the nook is telling me it is installing a new software update, while it is hooked to my laptop.(nothing that I did) If this doesn't fix it I'm going to scream. I have read elsewhere that the nook should be on when you plug it into your computer, glad for you that was the issue.

New User
LeiaSolo
0 Kudos

Hello:  I have a friend who is going to give me a Nook in a few days and it was his Nook, and he has the same problem.  I told him to take it back to Barnes & Noble to get an even exchange if it is still under warranty.  He is going to do that before he gives it to me as a gift.

Also, when you download any books or any software updates etc. you have to have the unit (Nook or even the Kindle) being ON for the whole duration -- otherwise, if you have it turned off and you download software or whatever and you try to connect with the USB cable and charger plug, then it will come up with that error.  Because when the system is turned on, then when it is connected to the computer, the computer will recognize it as a Removable drive, and you do not need to download any drivers for the unit since they are already built in.

Also, make sure that you have the cable connected to the right USB port and that will have a symbol of a pitchfork like a regular fork without the 2nd and 4th prong.  Make sure they are tight when connected and before you download any books etc., make sure the drive is there (removable drive) on the computer.  Then you are ready to commence whatever you want to do for the Nook.

If you have any further questions, please call Barnes & Noble or go to your nearest B&N bookstore and talk to someone who is there at the Nook desk and they will help you. 

New User
MrTexas
0 Kudos

Ok, This was also something I found on my new color nook.  Everyone is correct. 

1.  Power On your Nook, get it all setup - BEFORE connecting to your notebook/PC/XP.

2.  Have your computer Powered OFF.

3.  Connect Nook with USB cable to your PC

4.  Power on your NOOK.

5.  Power on your PC

6.  XP will come up with message new storage device and will start loading required drivers.

That's about it, should be all set, and good to go.  Best of Luck, happy Nooky..

MrT