New User
Bluesmanuk
0 Kudos

Nook Simple Touch screen is nothing like how it is advertised on the website

Today I took delivery of a Nook Simple Touch and was very disappointed with the screen in terms of it's use in ambient light. I ordered on the strength of your site and it's demonstration videos, which clearly show the device having a white background. What I have received does not come close to what is shown on the site and is almost unreadable unless I go and stand outside. where is still does not exhibit the same characteristics shown in the videos.

I am concerned that the advertising should reasonably reflect the products capabilities.

I mailed customer services, who stated that the screen background is white. However since the screen is an E-Ink dislay it requires sufficient light for reading.

This is simply not the cse and the background does not get anywhere near white in the bightest and natural of outdoor lighting, let alone indoor.

The front of the box shows an equally vivid picture of the display and set side by side with the real thing, it is like comparing night and day.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro

Re: Nook Simple Touch screen is nothing like how it is advertised on the website

[ Edited ]

This is a customer discussion site, and B&N only rarely makes any sort of official appearance here. You'll need to follow up with B&N directly to get any official answer. It sounds like you just received the device, so you shouldn't have any problem returning it if you're not happy.

I agree with you that the web page images show a deceptively clear image. Is your device a NST glow, or the basic NST without backlight?

The background on my NSTs (not glow) are not white, but are a very light gray hue. In terms of actual readability, it's just like a paper book by design. It does require ambient light. I actually prefer it not be bright white to avoid eye strain. I certainly don't have to stand outside to read it though. Perhaps you have a dud?

Here's an image I've adjusted to more closely show what mine looks like:

Actual NST screen brightness

Here's a closeup of one of my actual devices:

Live NST screen

I'd suggest you give it a chance by actually reading on it rather than comparing images. The NST gets high marks for usability, including screen clarity (readability) under a variety of lighting conditions short of darkness. It is not a great image viewing device. If you still don't like it, return it. You might find a Kindle Paperwhite more to your liking. If low-light conditions are the problem, check out the NSTG (glow) model, though be aware the background is decidedly blueish. See if you can compare units side-by-side at a local shop before purchasing.

Good luck, and I hope you find a reader to your liking.

keriflur

Re: Nook Simple Touch screen is nothing like how it is advertised on the website

Just an FYI, the background on the NST is what an eink background looks like.  Right now, every maker on the market in the US is using screens made by Eink, so the color of the background is fairly consistent.  There is some variation based on whether the device has a built in light, but that's about it.

New User
Bluesmanuk
0 Kudos

I did take it up with them but their response was that is was white, which is definitely not the case.

Your images better represent what it actually looks like, although mine is a little darker than that in the brightest of natural light.

I've tried to read with it and it just gives me incredible eye strain, whereas reading an actual book, it does not.

It does look like I will have to send it back as it is totally different from what B&N actually advertise.

I've not ever received a product that is contrary to what I think that I should expect.

New User
Bluesmanuk
0 Kudos

A built in light for all of these kinds of products would seem to be the way forward.

I popped down to my local mall and looked at the equivalent Kobo and Kindle to compare and whilst the Kindle was a little better, none of them lived up to my expectation as a replacement for the good old paper book.

bobstro

[ Edited ]

Bluesmanuk: It sounds like you want a lighted device. The eink versions still won't be pure white, but they will be brighter. If nothing else, get the store to let you handle another NST to see if it's any brighter. Yours may just be defective.

If you don't like the look of those, check out the LCD devices. If reading off LCD doesn't bother you, and you aren't worried about outdoor use, they may be more to your liking. I think there are some sales on the NOOK HD coming soon. I read quite a bit on my tablet screens, with the background set to a very white page, but with the brightness turned down, and it works well for me.

It may just be that you prefer paper books. Nothing wrong with that. You just can't carry as many.

Good luck finding a solution you like!

keriflur

It sounds like the OP may have gotten a bad device.  An in-store exchange might be the best solution.

Scribe
frantastk

Bluesmanuk wrote:

A built in light for all of these kinds of products would seem to be the way forward.

I popped down to my local mall and looked at the equivalent Kobo and Kindle to compare and whilst the Kindle was a little better, none of them lived up to my expectation as a replacement for the good old paper book.

It sounds like you may have gotten a defective/bad device. While the screen on mine is not pure white, I do not need a lot of light to read comfortably. My house is very dark (old house without built in overhead lighting).None of my paperbacks have pure white pages, either, but I find the NST easier to read in dim light than some paper books.

My suggestion would be to go in to a B&N if possible, look at the display models, and compare it to the one you bought. 

Distinguished Correspondent
RJR443
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

If it's at all practible, your best bet for a quick resolution would be to take it to your nearest BN store and ask them for a replacement or refund.  You need to do something; either you've got a bad 'un, or you're just not an e-reader reader.  ;-)

roustabout

Definitely look at the glow units - although I find the NST readable in most ambient light, I find the glow device to be easier to read in mid-to-low light with its light turned on just a bit.  The nook glow retains the long battery life and light weight of the simple touch.  The LCD units are bright and fast but weigh much more and need to be charged frequently (every 8-10 hours of use.)  

You may want to return the device you have and wait a couple of weeks - there is some speculation that a new device announcement is coming for the e-ink line.  I'm doubtful -- I think the announcement would have already been made.  

I will say this:  you're an extremely lucky individual if this is true:  "I've not ever received a product that is contrary to what I think that I should expect."  :smileyhappy:

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.