Reader 4
Brendon
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Touch WiFi Issues

Found this online , after having issues with WIFI after the 1.1 update

Fortunately however, after some googling, I've found out how to assign a static IP to the nook in the Actointec, and this fixes it! (I hope for good this time!!!) 1. Log in to your POS ActionTec router. (For Verizon, at least, the default username is admin and the default pwd is password1, but I suggest you change these post-haste.) 2. Click the 'Advanced' tab, and then click 'Yes' to get through that stupid warning. 3. In the lower-right box labeled 'IP' in the Advanced panel, click on 'IP Address Distribution'. 4. Now, you should see a table labeled (wouldn'tchaknowit) 'IP Address Distribution', with one item in it, 'Network (Home/Office)', with an IP range of 192.168.1.2-192.168.254. This is a comically large range for a home router, and allows for no static IPs that don't cause conflicts. However, when I decided to reduce the range and assign the Nook an IP outside of it, it would not work (of course). So we're not gonna bother messing around with this, but it's probably a good idea to lower the range to a smaller number. Roustabout, other network ppl, care to chime in? 5. Now, below the table, click 'Connection List'. Now what should pop up is a list of all of your clients, which right now are all dynamic IPs assigned by DHCP. 6. Click the 'New Static Connection' link at the last line of the Connection List table. You'll be at a new page labeled Connection List settings, that'll ask you for a Host Name, IP Address, and MAC Address. 7. Enter whatever you'd like for the hostname, and an IP address that starts with '192.168.1', as long as it's outside the range 100-150 (reserved for set-top boxes). 8. Enter your nook's MAC address. If you don't already know it, go to Settings >> Device Info >> About Your Nook, and it'll be on the last row. 9. Click apply. 10. Turn wireless on on your Nook, and enter any security information required to connect to your network. If you're lucky, you should be done!

Contributor
LoveToRead51RW
0 Kudos

I am not as "up" on all the tech jargon that occurs in the blogs but I did enter my NOOK MAC address into my wireless router and still not success in connecting.  One of the other blogs noted to call PM.  Who is PM?  Customer Service was not helpful a week ago. 

Reader
OldprofCH
0 Kudos

Thanks for the information re the static address -- Worked like a charm.  I should add that the "rev F" issue is a bit more complicated than might appear.  There are two "Revision F" Actiontec routers out there -- those supplied to Verizon and the "Verizon" routers supplied to Pioneer, which took over Verizon  operations in some areas.  I had recently bought a used Rev F router on fleabay.  That router truned out to be the Pioneer version -- and the NST connected without any problem!  When I replaced the Pioneer version with a new Verizon Fios rev F the NST could not connect - tho it was happy to connect to my neighbor's older Actiontec.  Following the instructions for a static connection  made everything "all better!"

New User
richerson615
0 Kudos

I was having trouble connecting to my wireless router. My password was a 10 digit number. On a whim I changed my password to a letter and number combination and it connects now. Hopefully this might save someone 6 hours of misery down the road.

Distinguished Correspondent
LastSilmaril
0 Kudos

See my post of at the top of this page for links to two solutions I've figured out plus some more info, including the one for the Verizon Actiontec that someone posted above without attributing me :smileyhappy:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Technical-Support/updated-to-1-1-0-now-wireless-will-not...

Basically, you can (a) assigning a the same ip every time (a 'static lease') via dhcp

(b) having your nook eschew dhcp and just use a static ip (e.g. an ip address you specify yourself on your nook, so that your nook doesn't need to ask your router for one)...which you can do if you're rooted, but which is a more flexible option because you won't need to have access to every single router you come across with this issue. Likely, you will come across one - say a public one - that you cannot access, so I would recommend going this route, especially if you are even marginally tech-savvy.

New User
21Mel
0 Kudos

Please HELP!!!!!

I have called BN tech support, NetGear tech support and Comcast with no results!!!  I, like everyone else on here cannot get a wireless connection.  Comcast wanted to charge me $75 for their help!! Someone has to have the same problem as I do???  I need step by step if anyone has a NetGear router, PLEASE!!!   I don't have a problem with any of my other wireless devices except the Nook Color. I have the latest 1.3.0 update for Nook Color.

New User
Reed1
0 Kudos

I have a Linksys router and this solution worked for me.  I changed the "Wireless Network Mode" to "G-Only" then clicked "Save Settings." (The default setting was "Mixed," meaning a combination of B, G, etc.) I then powered off my Nook, turned it back on, and all is working fine.

The Linksys setting above can be found under the "Wireless," then "Basic Wireless Settings" menus.

Good luck!!

Reader 2
RedRaven
0 Kudos

I've had the same problems as everyone else. When I first brought my Nook home, no problems. All of sudden I can't access the internet in my home. Long story short, B&N gave me a new devise but I have the same problem once again. In store they certainly don't know about this problem; they kept telling me I had the wrong password. BTW in the B&N store, I connect with no problems.

I have looked through the answers here, and to be honest, it is all Geek to me. My router is from Verizon FiOS and I've reset my passcode once already. My other devices, an iPod touch and my iMac have no problem connecting. Is there any specific person/extension I can call in support? My one phone call resulted in being put on hold for 41 minutes (what can I say, I was optimistic) and no one ever came back to the call. 

Inspired Correspondent
Technologirl
0 Kudos

RedRaven wrote:

I've had the same problems as everyone else. When I first brought my Nook home, no problems. All of sudden I can't access the internet in my home. Long story short, B&N gave me a new devise but I have the same problem once again. In store they certainly don't know about this problem; they kept telling me I had the wrong password. BTW in the B&N store, I connect with no problems.

I have looked through the answers here, and to be honest, it is all Geek to me. My router is from Verizon FiOS and I've reset my passcode once already. My other devices, an iPod touch and my iMac have no problem connecting. Is there any specific person/extension I can call in support? My one phone call resulted in being put on hold for 41 minutes (what can I say, I was optimistic) and no one ever came back to the call. 

I'd say stand your ground. Keep calling and insisting that the 1.1 update is the problem. (It is the problem.)

LastSilmaril

RedRaven wrote:

I'm sorry, but you should at least try. Even if you don't know what you're doing, is it really worth living without a Nook that can connect to the internet and bitching to BN everyday, if you know there's an easy stopgap? I mean, complaining is good beucase it should keep them on their toes, but in the meantime, you should have a machine that works. I really encourage you to try the solution I posted here (and keep having to repost because people seem to be too lazy to find it out):

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Simple-Touch-Support/updated-to-1-1-0-now-wireless-will-...

Inspired Correspondent
Technologirl
0 Kudos

LastSilmaril wrote:

RedRaven wrote:

I'm sorry, but you should at least try. Even if you don't know what you're doing, is it really worth living without a Nook that can connect to the internet and bitching to BN everyday, if you know there's an easy stopgap? I mean, complaining is good beucase it should keep them on their toes, but in the meantime, you should have a machine that works. I really encourage you to try the solution I posted here (and keep having to repost because people seem to be too lazy to find it out):

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Simple-Touch-Support/updated-to-1-1-0-now-wireless-will-...

Hmmm, in the interest of healthy debate ... if we find workarounds to everything they break with their untested updates, and stop calling them to complain about what they broke, is there any incentive for them to fix it? Wouldn't that just encourage them to drop the matter and take the hit for the users who give up because the user workarounds don't work for them?

New User
Memaw2Wm
0 Kudos

Ah ha ... I haven't lost my mind.  There is a problem with the 1.1 update.

I am on Simple Touch #2 ... my first one froze up.  And via Google I discovered that many of the S/T's had this issue.   B&N first tried updating my software, but the Nook still froze up so they exchanged it.

Second Nook had the original software, but didn't freeze up.  Then it automatically updated to 1.1 and BAM!  I lost my WiFi connection.

I've talked to the folks and B&N and to online support ... all I got was it was a problem with my router and to call Verizon b/c I needed to disable the 'MAC filtering' ... well the MAC filtering wasn't turned on.  I KNEW it had something to do with the update, but they just keep poo-poo-ing me.

I haven't had the fortitude to call Verizon, so I just tossed the Nook aside wishing that I'd never bought it (didn't help that the price dropped not long after I bought it).

Will try assigning it a static IP ... although my head is spinning after reading the instructions.  Am hoping it will be clearer when I'm sitting with the router page opened.

And I will be going back to B&N and talking to *my* geek that I'm NOT crazy and maybe that will help some other hapless owner.  Honestly this guy tried to help me, but he'd never encountered this problem.  He even called the online tech folks and they gave him the 'tell her to call Verizon' line.

Inspired Correspondent
Technologirl
0 Kudos

Memaw2Wm wrote:

Ah ha ... I haven't lost my mind.  There is a problem with the 1.1 update.

I am on Simple Touch #2 ... my first one froze up.  And via Google I discovered that many of the S/T's had this issue.   B&N first tried updating my software, but the Nook still froze up so they exchanged it.

Second Nook had the original software, but didn't freeze up.  Then it automatically updated to 1.1 and BAM!  I lost my WiFi connection.

I've talked to the folks and B&N and to online support ... all I got was it was a problem with my router and to call Verizon b/c I needed to disable the 'MAC filtering' ... well the MAC filtering wasn't turned on.  I KNEW it had something to do with the update, but they just keep poo-poo-ing me.

I haven't had the fortitude to call Verizon, so I just tossed the Nook aside wishing that I'd never bought it (didn't help that the price dropped not long after I bought it).

Will try assigning it a static IP ... although my head is spinning after reading the instructions.  Am hoping it will be clearer when I'm sitting with the router page opened.

And I will be going back to B&N and talking to *my* geek that I'm NOT crazy and maybe that will help some other hapless owner.  Honestly this guy tried to help me, but he'd never encountered this problem.  He even called the online tech folks and they gave him the 'tell her to call Verizon' line.

Their 800# support people are at least now admitting that they have a problem with the 1.1.0 update. That's progress.

LastSilmaril

Technologirl wrote:

LastSilmaril wrote:

RedRaven wrote:

Hmmm, in the interest of healthy debate ... if we find workarounds to everything they break with their untested updates, and stop calling them to complain about what they broke, is there any incentive for them to fix it? Wouldn't that just encourage them to drop the matter and take the hit for the users who give up because the user workarounds don't work for them?

But is it worth having a broken machine? Or getting a Kindle Touch instead, when that machine is not as versatile (even though it does do some things better)? Not for me. Maybe they're taking a while because they're trying to get it right this time. Don't get me wrong, I'm annoyed too, but I'm just not willing to pay the price you're suggesting I pay.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

LastSilmaril wrote:

But is it worth having a broken machine? Or getting a Kindle Touch instead, when that machine is not as versatile (even though it does do some things better)? Not for me. Maybe they're taking a while because they're trying to get it right this time. Don't get me wrong, I'm annoyed too, but I'm just not willing to pay the price you're suggesting I pay.

B&N can only afford limited development resources. I assume getting the tablet and the NC 1.4  update released in time had priority. I expect that the next updates for NST, NC and NT to be released will be aimed at fixing bugs like Wifi support.

New User
Cardinal65
0 Kudos

I have DLink DIR-615 HW Ver C1 and was having some problem - could not maintain a connection with NOOK Simple.  I changed the following settings and it now appears to be working (for the last 30 minutes!!).

Setup | Wireless Settings | Manual Wireless Connection Setup

Wireless Network Settings | 802.11 Mode:  was set to Mixed 802.11n, 802.11g, and 802.11b; changed to Mixed 802.11g and 802.11b

WPA Mode:  was set to Auto (WPA or WPA2); changed to WPA2 Only  (left Cipher Type as AES)

Security Mode:  left Security Mode as WPA2-Personal

Contributor
patrick0525
0 Kudos

I have successfully wifi access point connected with the following router configuration. I am using an wifi access point that is connected to my router. Wireless Network Settings | 802.11 Mode: was set to Mixed 802.11n, 802.11g WPA Mode:WPA2 and only AES Security Mode: WPA2-Personal
New User
PaisanoRob
0 Kudos

In the DIR-615 Advanced Wireless page (access via web browser at http://192.168.0.1), disable the "WMM Enable" checkbox.  That may disable 802.11n access and force all the devices on the network to use 802.11g, but at least it works.