Reader
monkey880
0 Kudos

Nook Touch WiFi Issues

I recently got a new Nook Touch and cannot connect to the inernet via my home WiFi.  I've confirmed wifi works at a BN store so it must be an issue with the Nook and my router.  I have a Dlink DIR-615.  I can connect to my home network but cannot access the internet, with encryption on and off.  Anyone else encounter similar issues?

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Touch WiFi Issues

Yes.

What kind of wifi (a/b/g/n) does your router do and is a 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz router?  Also, what kind of security are you using and are you filtering MAC addresses?

Reader
monkey880
0 Kudos

I'm using mixed g/n with WPA2 encryption 2.4GHz.  I am not using MAC filtering.  I'm going to try putting the Nook on DMZ and see if that works.

keriflur
0 Kudos

monkey880 wrote:

I'm using mixed g/n with WPA2 encryption 2.4GHz.  I am not using MAC filtering.  I'm going to try putting the Nook on DMZ and see if that works.

That's my same configuration.  It SHOULD work based on specs.

That said, I couldn't get it to work, even though my N1E connects to it just fine.  I had to daisychain my old b/g WPA router to the g/n router.  Now my N2E works with the b/g WPA router and everything else in the house, including my old N1E, connects to the g/n WPA2 router.  :smileysad:

What is DMZ?

Reader
monkey880
0 Kudos

DMZ basically is outside of the router firewall.  Most routers provide the ability to place specific devices (IP addresses) outside of the firewall (in the DMZ).

DMZ Info

keriflur
0 Kudos

Did putting it on DMZ work for you?  I'd love to dump the second router and just use the g/n router for everything.

Reader
monkey880
0 Kudos

Nope, the only way I got it to work was turning off 802.11n.

Reader 2
RCLewis
0 Kudos

Hello All,

So, my new Nook Touch is also having trouble connecting to my router (Netgear wndr3700).  I can see the network and can "connect" to it, but the Nook remains forever disconnected.  I am brodcasting both 2.4GHz and 5GHz @ 130Mbps (default speed).  Currently I have connected: laptop, PS3, ipod touch, TV, among other devices. 

From what I have read on other forums, the Nook will not connect to a "n" network.  As my router sends out a "b/g/n" network, I am guessing that this is the problem.  If anyone has this router, how do you disable the "n" network?  Any help would be appreciated. 

Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

The Nook STR (N2E) supposedly supports 802.11b/g/n at 2.4 GHz.  It does not support 802.11n at 5 GHz.  A couple common issues with g/n routers/WAPs are running mixed mode and speed issues.  Try running the router or WAP in just the n mode and try changing the speed to a lower setting. 

keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

keriflur wrote:

monkey880 wrote:

That's my same configuration.  It SHOULD work based on specs.

That said, I couldn't get it to work, even though my N1E connects to it just fine.  I had to daisychain my old b/g WPA router to the g/n router.  Now my N2E works with the b/g WPA router and everything else in the house, including my old N1E, connects to the g/n WPA2 router.  :smileysad:

FWIW, I bought a new router that does both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz (for reasons that had very little to do with the nook situation - we wanted 5ghz for the PCs and Macs in the house).  On initial setup the 2.4Ghz was set as g/n WPA2, exactly the same as my existing router that my N2E could not connect to, and it connected just fine to the new one.  Both routers are linksys.

I have NO IDEA why it worked on the new one but not the old one.

Reader 2
RCLewis
0 Kudos

In case anyone is wondering, I was able to get my nook to connect to my Netgear WNDR3700.  For some reason, when I attempted to change the Network name, my other electronic devices would not see the change.  I went ahead and (after changing my network name) rebooted the Router (full power off, then restart).  My ipod then noticed the network IP name change and when I directed it and the Nook to connect to it both devices connected.  I did not have to change my network speed (130Mbps).   

Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

By network name do you mean the SSID? 

Reader 2
RCLewis
0 Kudos

correct: I changed the SSID
Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

An SSID change will frequently require a reboot to take effect.  Changing the SSID from the default is always highly recommended. 

keriflur
0 Kudos

Big_Dave_H wrote:

An SSID change will frequently require a reboot to take effect.  Changing the SSID from the default is always highly recommended. 

While this is true, the SSID name should not make a difference to the nook.  I can confirm that the nook will take deault SSIDs because when I couldn't get my N2E to place nice with my router I connected to someone else's in my building that had no security and the default linksys network name to download a few books and get the N2E set up.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

keriflur wrote:

While this is true, the SSID name should not make a difference to the nook. 

Sort of OT and doesn't apply to the situation you describe, but I remember from a post elsewhere that a user had an issue with a non alphanumeric character in the SSID.  When she changed her SSID to all letters and numbers, she was able to connect her N1E (maybe NOOKColor?) immediately.

Doesn't fit what you just said, but maybe that's the change the guy up there had to make? 

OK, I'm back to being clueless, mainlining caffeine and trying to convince a JRT that if he doesn't shut up now, he's going to make Mommy's (migraine) head explode and then nobody will be here to let him out to chase squirrels.  :smileysurprised:

Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

The problem is when you have multiple wireless access points using the same SSID.  This causes confusion for any devices trying to connect.  This is especially true if they are also on the same default channel, usually channel 6.  Smaller devices like eReaders have very bad antennas, making it extremely hard for these devices to decide which network to connect to.  Laptops have a little easier time of it, but still run into problems. 

So if you live in say an apartment complex and  you and your neighbors on all sides have Linksys routers using the default "linksys" SSID and broadcasting on the default channel 6, then you are going to run into problems. 

This is why you should always change the SSID away from the default and also scan the area using a program like InSSIDer to find the best channel to use and change the channel as necessary.

Inspired Contributor
nancybout
0 Kudos

I am about to call B&N this is just unacceptable!My nook touch i love it except for the HANG and HANG I get always,unless I reboot than it works for whatever than when i set it back to wifi it HANGS again. I am starting to hate it:smileysad:
Inspired Contributor
nancybout
0 Kudos

I have Linksys and wat the heck..using the Ipad and never a problem,with that,the phones,the laptops etc...i touch...Even the Nook CLASSIC it works..but BLAH the nook touch just HANGS. I am calling today.
keriflur
0 Kudos

What do you mean by "it hangs"?

Also, are you running your router in mixed g/n mode?