Reader
CAT8
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Nook WiFi Connection Issues & Verizon Actiontec Router

[ Edited ]

After updating to the latest software and simultaneously changing my wireless provider to Verizon, I realized that my Nook no longer connected to wifi in my home. After searching various blogs and websites and finding no solution that worked, I called the B&N help desk (a frustrating experience as usual). Of course, without asking me what I tried already, I got told to do all of the inane things they are "supposed" to tell you - turn off the Nook and the Wi-Fi, turn them back on again, forget the network, reconnect and re-enter your password, reset the router blah blah blah. After telling the guy that I did ALL of this already and none of it worked, he told me to go to my nearest B&N and try to connect there. I told him I did & it worked just fine. While this ridiculousness went on (I was on the phone for 35 minutes), I decided to take one last look around cyber space to see if I could obtain some help for the issue that my 'qualified' customer support representative was unable to give me. Please note, this is not the first time that I've called B&N, been on the phone for ridiculous amounts of time, and still had to solve my own issue. And EUREKA! There it was: the solution to my issue. Since B&N does not let you set a static IP, the lease sometimes expires, rendering you unable to connect to the internet until you are issued a new IP address or the old one renews itself. In lay terms, this means that depending on your router settings, you may only be able to connect every so often - highly irritating. With the software update, it appears that that renewal sometimes does not happen at all, thereby leaving some of us unable to connect to the internet. The fix? Set a static IP address within your router! 

1. Go to your router's IP address (you may have to call your cable provider to obtain this if you don't have it or simply connect through the computer wired to the router)

2. Type in your user name and password

3. Turn on your nook

4. Click on your network within wireless settings and "Forget" the network

5. Go back to the main settings page, go to Device Info, About Your Nook, and locate the Wi-Fi MAC address

6. (This part is router specific but if you can figure out where this information is in your router, the steps should be the same) Go to Advanced --> IP Address Distribution

7. Hit the button that says Connection List

8. Look for your Nook's MAC address on your list. If it is there, press the Edit button (the notepad with the pencil) and click the box that says static IP.

9. If it is not there, scroll to the bottom and hit New Static Connection. Enter a host name (no spaces), the IP address that you want to use (be sure that it's a valid address. Look at your other addresses on the connection list page to see one within the correct number range that is available), and that MAC address from your Nook.

10. Hit apply, go back to your Nook's wireless settings, re-enter your password, and you should be good to go!!!

Hope this helps!!!

Distinguished Correspondent
LastSilmaril

Re: Nook WiFi Connection Issues & Verizon Actiontec Router

LOL, sometimes I wonder why I bother when like 5 different people on these boards called bn first and only then came to the boards...and even then decided to reinvent the wheel/rederive my own solution :smileytongue:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Simple-Touch-Support/updated-to-1-1-0-now-wireless-will-...

That's teh interwebs I guess

Reader
CAT8

[ Edited ]

I do wish that when I searched, your result came up. It would have saved me a lot of time. Don't really know why it didn't. In any case, it looks like we came to the same conclusion. I ultimately got my response from the verizon forums: http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Connected-device-does-not-show-up-in-Actiontec-My-Network...

:smileyhappy:

Contributor
patrick0525
0 Kudos

I googled "nook firmware 1.1.0 wifi disconnect" and  found it. There are multiple threads.  I selected the one with the largest # of pages. I read the 1st page for the problem statement and last page for the latest updates. From the last page, I went backwards until I found my solution.

LastSilmaril 's had the best well-documented solution.Thanks! It took me 15 minutes to read the thread.

Even though, it was specifically for the ActionTec FIOS router. I recognized LastSilmari keywords were "static IP lease for the client". I immediatley admin into my Buffalo router and it worked.  I couldn't be happier!

The wifi connection issue threads need to be consolidated. Other tech forums have very aggressive moderators that delete or point users to one thread. You really shouldn't have to read multiple threads for a relatively straight-foward problem that is only one month old. Try reading some tech forums that address 3rd firmware on embedded linux routers.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Simple-Touch-Support/updated-to-1-1-0-now-wireless-will-...

I hope that helps.

LastSilmaril
0 Kudos

CAT8 wrote:

I do wish that when I searched, your result came up. It would have saved me a lot of time. Don't really know why it didn't. In any case, it looks like we came to the same conclusion. I ultimately got my response from the verizon forums: http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Connected-device-does-not-show-up-in-Actiontec-My-Network...

:smileyhappy:

Funny, it looks like the verizon forums use the same forum software as this place...something called 'lithium'. hmph...

New User
partap

Just wanted to say thanks! I have the troublesome Rev. F of the Verison/Actiontec router and was unable to have my Nook Simple Touch connect to my home WiFi. Called B&N support and they ran me through the standard stuff, but they didn't think to ask about the router itself. Their recommendations were ineffective.

In any event, your procedure worked flawlessly, and I'm back connected to my home WiFi!!

I do hope that B&N will fix this bug in their OS so that this won't keep happening.

New User
sushiSB
0 Kudos

Thanks for the directions.  Tthey were really helpful.  However, I did all the steps and the connection status says Expired instead of Active.  What did I do wrong?

LastSilmaril
0 Kudos

sushiSB wrote:

Thanks for the directions.  Tthey were really helpful.  However, I did all the steps and the connection status says Expired instead of Active.  What did I do wrong?

Try resetting your router and then going through the process again. Be sure to be aware of your current wireless security settings so you could write them back easily.

Reader 4
NewNookSimpleTouch
0 Kudos

Thank you for the instructions... finding my router number was the only problem I add... So for those of us a that are a little techically challanged you can either call your provider or try this:

Visit your router's configuration website. This is usually 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 but it could be something different depending on the brand of your router. You may need to enter your user name and password to gain administrator access to your router's setup website.

B&N help desk was not able to help me, but this post sure did!  Thanks again.
scotta316
0 Kudos

Finding your router's IP address (in Windows)

[ Edited ]

If this has already been posted, I apologize.

If you don't know your wifi router's IP address, it will usually be the default gateway in your computer's network settings. There are a few places to find this in Windows. Here's one of them. (I use Windows 7, but other versions are similar):

1. Pull up a Command Prompt by pulling up the Start menu and typing "cmd" on the search line. Hit enter.
    (In older versions of Windows it was called "command")
  2. In the windows that opens, type "ipconfig"
  3. Your computer's IP Configuration comes up, seperated by whatever adapters your computer has.
  4. Look for "Wireless LAN Adapter." There may be more than one, but probably only one has IP information listed.
  5. The "Default Gateway" should be the IP of your wifi router.

I probably made this sound more complicated than it is, but it's really very simple.

New User
MrMoose
0 Kudos

I just would like to say Thank You very much to you CAT8.  For posting the information needed to connect to my actiontec verizon router wirelessly.  You have saved some strands of hair that is left on my head from falling off lol.  the info you posted worked WONDERFUL!.  Once again.  Thank you!!!!

New User
aliris
0 Kudos

Thank you, CAT8.  Brilliant.  Your help is so appreciated.

Reader
doubledip
0 Kudos

Thanks CAT8 for the accurate and simple fix. I spent many frustrating hours trying to resolve until your post!

Wish BN was more helpful??

New User
BAMKM
0 Kudos

Thank you for documenting the detailed steps to get my Nook on-line !   Followed the steps and within 15 minutes I was connected again !  Its perplexing why B&N has not made fixing this connection issue introduced by the latest upgrade a priority.  Anyone that is using the Verizon Actiontec Router (and maybe others) are not able to access the B&N site to shop.  Certainly will hurt their on-line business if owners can not shop and purchase books, magazines and newspapers from home. 

Reader
perry52
0 Kudos

This solution worked. Thank you!

New User
JodieCommiato
0 Kudos

thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! :smileywink:

New User
Karen70
0 Kudos

THANK YOU!  THANK YOU!  THANK YOU!  After 3 days of trying to get my nook connected your site did it in 5 minutes.  Again Thank you!!!

New User
BowTieGuy
0 Kudos

Thank you! /Re: Nook WiFi Connection Issues & Verizon Actiontec Router

Cat8,

Thank you for considerately posting this fix. B&N replaced my first Nook experiencing this problem, to only just today have it again occur with the new device. The customer service people I encountered were unfailingly polite, but not aware of both the problem and - importantly - solution. It does get frustrating when they make you do all the resets, etc. and knowing full well it is not the problem. Regardless, I just wanted to express my appreciation. Have a terrific day!

New User
Jamboo
0 Kudos

Thank you CAT8 and LastSilmaril for posting the solution.

It was easy to follow your instruction.

However, I had a problem entering my router setting page, keep saying "login failed." In case there's anyone who has the same problem, this might help:

Connect to the Internet through the cable not the airport. Go to router setting login page using 192.168.1.1 (worked for my Actiontec).

Use browser that Verizon recognizes (for some reason Verizon doesn't work with Google Chrome and some old Firefox)

Put admin for the username and then put your router serial number, typically located below the router's bar code, for the password.

This might help you avoid calling Verizon only to get informed that what you are trying to do is not exactly allowed by Verizon. :smileytongue:

Good luck!