Reader
chibs
0 Kudos

Nook remotely shut off by B&N and can't be turned back on

[ Edited ]

Didn't know B&N had the ability to permanently turn off a nook wirelessly.

Here's the backstory. I recently purchased 2 nook simple touch but decided to return one and purchase a nook tablet.  Apparently Target mixed up the return and the one I kept was actually the one on the receipt for the one I returned.  Thus my nooks serial # has been marked returned. 

I called customer support and all they say is I can't do anything until Target returns the nook to B&N and they process it thru the warehouse.  NO ETA WHAT SO EVER.  So now I have a useless nook in my hand that I can't do anything about.  @#($*@

Any suggestions what I can do?

Wordsmith
AnnSheridan
0 Kudos

Re: Nook remotely shut off by B&N and can't be turned back on

Can't you return the 2nd Simple Touch to Target too? Exchange it for a new one with serial # that matches your new receipt.

Frequent Contributor
MikeNC
0 Kudos

Correction - they cannot "turn it off" remotely as in the equivalent of pressing and holding the power button to power it off.

They can block one from being able to register to an account and connect to their online services, but as mentioned, you can bypass the registration and use it by sideloading books onto it (until they get the serial number issue sorted out and you can then register the device to access your B&N content and the store directly over wifi).

Reader
chibs
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Actually that is incorrect.  They remotely shut off my nook.  The screen is black and even trying the hard reset does nothing.  A chat with customer service confirms that they are able to do it in case of loss or stolen nooks.  Since I'm out of the country now the only solution they have for me is to wait until the nook is received at their warehouse and hopefully the system will spot the error and reinstate my nook.  

Sad sad....

Frequent Contributor
MikeNC
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Wow, I actually find that quite disturbing.  I honestly do not think they should be able to completely power it off and disable it remotely.  What if a disgruntled spouse or sibling called to claim one had been "stolen" just to get back at a family member who was hogging a shared device.  Or someone sells one on Craig's list but is upset about the price they got, so calls immediately and reports it stolen.

Seriously, I just think this is overreaching what a company should be able to do with a product once it is out in the world, where it could be traded, sold, borrowed, shared, or otherwise pass through many hands legitimately.  And apparently all it takes is one curmudgeonly person with the appropriate information about the device to get it disabled?  Just way too many ways this kind of corporate "Big Brother" corporate intervention can go far wrong from the intended purpose, and just, IMO, something that companies should keep their noses out of.  Once I've purchased the device, I'll accept responsibility for it, thank you, and I do not need anyone reaching over my shoulder and manipulating my device in such an extreme manner as to be able to render it useless (regardless of their intentions).

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

chibs wrote:

Actually that is incorrect.  They remotely shut off my nook.  The screen is black and even trying the hard reset does nothing.  A chat with customer service confirms that they are able to do it in case of loss or stolen nooks.  Since I'm out of the country now the only solution they have for me is to wait until the nook is received at their warehouse and hopefully the system will spot the error and reinstate my nook.  

Sad sad....

I do not believe this. B&N customer service often tells people incorrect information.

Have you tried charging your Nook for a few hours, in case the Nook just has no power?

Or perhaps your Nook is just faulty. But I really do not believe they can shut them of remotely.

Reader
chibs
0 Kudos

I do not believe this. B&N customer service often tells people incorrect information.

Have you tried charging your Nook for a few hours, in case the Nook just has no power?

Or perhaps your Nook is just faulty. But I really do not believe they can shut them of remotely.

Unless both supervisor and tier 2 tech don't know what they are talking about. I doubt that it is incorrect.  They even told me to wait until the return reaches their warehouse and it will be sorted out afterwards. 

But these days devices are able to be shut off remotely.  Most smartphone and tablets have the ability (iPhones, Atrix...). 

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

chibs wrote:

Unless both supervisor and tier 2 tech don't know what they are talking about. I doubt that it is incorrect.  They even told me to wait until the return reaches their warehouse and it will be sorted out afterwards. 

But these days devices are able to be shut off remotely.  Most smartphone and tablets have the ability (iPhones, Atrix...). 

hehe...If you got someone calling themselves Tier 2 Support then yep, you prolly got someone who didn't have a clue. It sounds like you reached the offshore support line. From what I can tell they are less knowlegable and have less latitude in what they are allowed to do than the support line in the states.

If BN can remotely disable a device then this is something new they haven't disclosed to the consumer. In the past all they could do was unregister the device.

Personally I would just take it back to Target and tell them "It's broke. See." and let them give you a new one.

Frequent Contributor
MikeNC
0 Kudos

Purely offtopic and aside - In the USA it actually is illegal for a cell phone provider to completely disable or permanently power off a cell phone.  They can certainly cancel or block an account to render normal service inoperable.  But, federal law requires that all cell phones, even those with no valid or active account associated with them, must be allowed to make 911 emergency calls.

I have actually used one of my old phones for that (it lives in the side door pocket of my car as an emergency use phone) when I witnessed an accident one day and my currently active cell phone was in my briefcase in the trunk at the time.

Contributor
Whtwolf
0 Kudos

My only question about this is, if they ARE able to fix this at the warehouse, how are they going to remotely turn this Nook back on? The thing is powered off, so the WIFI is also off. I say take it back to Target and have them replace it.

Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up - Chinese Proverb