New User
totopi
0 Kudos

Nook simple touch - ghosting problem and warranty?

After years being an ink-paper lover, I finally purchased my first e-reader, the Nook simple touch 2 weeks ago (from OfficeMax). But immediately I saw the ghosting display which did not go away even with the refresh. I went to BN store and the rep told me that was definitely a defect. He was going to exchange me a new one, but then told me the warranty plan on the device was 6 months passed (but I just got it!), so he said he can only give me a pre-owned version or I should return it and buy from the BN store. I did return it and got a new one (from Staples this time). This time, the device is better, less ghosting (shadow from the previous page showing beneath the current page), but I can still see it from time to time... So I went to the BN store again and asked if the issue gets worse, will they able to fix it. The first rep told me he does not know and also he couldn't tell me when the warranty plan will start, since I did not purchase the device from the BN store. He sounded like I should have purchased Nook anywhere else besides from BN :smileysad:  Later he told me the warranty started in October 2012 (which might be when Staples purchased it). So is it true that if you get the Nook from somewhere else, you lose months from the warranty? And is the ghosting problem something they will help fix? From my experience, they don't really fix anything in the store...the most they can do is give out a refurbished/pre-owned one within the first year... 

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

Re: Nook simple touch - ghosting problem and warranty?

YOUR receipt defines when the warranty starts.  Keep your receipt.

If you don't have a receipt, they have to guess and they're going to guess wrong because they can't track how long it sat on a shelf.

One warning, if you're looking for it, you will almost ALWAYS see some ghosting on e-ink displays.  It's the nature of the persistent display:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-ink

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

The warranty gets weird when you buy from other stores.  They can look it up by your serial number, but for whatever reason it's still weird.  I've had customers who purchased devices and the warranty started a month AFTER they had purchased it. 

I say other stores because I've never seen it happen for a Nook purchased in a B&N.  Though I've had people swear left right and center they bought it from B&N when they purchased it from other stores (despite being told they were still getting the same service offered to someone who had purchased it from B&N).

As bobstro mentioned you'll likely always see some ghosting.  It shouldn't be noticable if you aren't trying to see it though. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
New User
totopi
0 Kudos

Thanks. I think that's what I am going to do - keep the receipt just in case. I don't mind just a bit of it as long as it doesn't bother me to the point that I can't read with it. Hopefully it stays like that for at least a year or two.

bobstro
0 Kudos

If the normal ghosting bothers you, it's easy to force a screen refresh by pressing the 'n' QuickMenu button twice. Every once in a while, there's enough for it to be distracting, even under normal circumstances.

Distinguished Correspondent
RJR443
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

From what I'm reading, some ghosting is normal.  Is it?  I've had Nooks for two and a half years, N1E and NST, and I have yet to experience any ghosting at all.

Am I alone out here?  If so, is there anyone out there willing to buy my NST for an exorbitant price? :smileywink:

bobstro
0 Kudos

You may simply not be noticing it. I find it's one of those things I don't normally notice unless I go looking for it, but every once in a while, things seem a little fuzzy.

It may also depend on how you're using your device. If you're doing things that redraw the full display frequently, you may never see it.

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

The only time I have ever been able to even see the ghosting is outside in very bright sunlight.  Even then I don't find it bothersome.

Contributor
RPO46
0 Kudos

I added a plain white jpg as a screensaver, and if I hit the power button to force the screensaver on, it often removes residual ghosting.

Wish I could get rid of that "press the button..." black band at the bottom though. I don't want to root it just for that. There has been a lot of grumling about it- I wonder if B&N has noticed.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

RPO46 wrote:

I added a plain white jpg as a screensaver, and if I hit the power button to force the screensaver on, it often removes residual ghosting.

Wish I could get rid of that "press the button..." black band at the bottom though. I don't want to root it just for that. There has been a lot of grumling about it- I wonder if B&N has noticed.

Noticed?  Probably.  Will that change anything?  Likely not.  It's been speculated the the banner change was to make internationalization an easier process.  Of course the rooters have shown that adding an option to disable the banner is easy enough, but for whatever reason it was not included in either the 1.2 or the 1.2.1 updates.

That said, rooting the NSTG is fairly quick and painless.  I rooted mine for primarily the same reason, and I have since found other benefits.

Contributor
RPO46
0 Kudos

I have the 1.2.1 update on mine and would like to keep it for the big improvement in the dictionary- you can now type in an entirely new word, not just have access to the selected look-up word. So are you saying I would have to find a way to back-flash to a prior version before rooting in order to get rid of that banner?

MacMcK1957

I have to admit that I just don't get the people who get so bothered by that banner.  I find it mildly annoying, and insulting to my intelligence like the sign on my lawnmower telling me not to put my hands under it while it's running.  But I just don't see it as that big a deal, certainly not worth the trouble of rooting it or giving up those dictionary improvements.

Correspondent
Byteguy

MacMcK1957 wrote:

I have to admit that I just don't get the people who get so bothered by that banner..

I had created screens for my daughter's Nook that said "If found, call xxx-xxx-xxxx" right where the put the new banner.  Those all had to be redone

I had screens on my nook that now don't look as nice.

To take your lawnmower analogy, it's a little bit like if they showed up and put a shorter handle on without asking you or letting you have the old one.  Yes, you could adapt but it changes your experience, is annoying, and can KEEP being annoying every time you mow your lawn.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Byteguy wrote:

MacMcK1957 wrote:

I have to admit that I just don't get the people who get so bothered by that banner..

I had created screens for my daughter's Nook that said "If found, call xxx-xxx-xxxx" right where the put the new banner.  Those all had to be redone

I had screens on my nook that now don't look as nice.

To take your lawnmower analogy, it's a little bit like if they showed up and put a shorter handle on without asking you or letting you have the old one.  Yes, you could adapt but it changes your experience, is annoying, and can KEEP being annoying every time you mow your lawn.

You can root a NST/G running 1.2.1 very easily, you don't need to give up any features.

I used Nook Manager from the XDA forums.  Becuase I did not want to mess around with other more complicated rooting methods.  Nook Manager roots your Nook, installs the amazon app store (not the Google Play store). 

The hardest part of Nook Manager is getting the .img file written to a SD card, which is really not hard especially if you have a Mac or Linux. 

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

MacMcK1957 wrote:

I have to admit that I just don't get the people who get so bothered by that banner.  I find it mildly annoying, and insulting to my intelligence like the sign on my lawnmower telling me not to put my hands under it while it's running.  But I just don't see it as that big a deal, certainly not worth the trouble of rooting it or giving up those dictionary improvements.

I suppose it depends on how much trouble you consider rooting.  Once I found rooter that would work for 1.2.1 the process was over in 25ish minutes.  Twenty of which was spent with me doing nothing while it made a backup of my Nook.  Hardly all the difficult really, and now I don't have a banner treating me like I'm a child.  I also don't need to turn the glowlight on if I left it on the last time I was reading. 

Contributor
doc51248
0 Kudos

if you bought it new, and have a receipt, shouldn't the warranty be from the date of purchase? I bought one from Office Max on 12/31/12. I freqently have it freeze and can only turn pages with the side push. Sometimes cannot turn pages at all. Sometimes a reset works, and sometimes just leaving it alone for a while solves the problem. Then i can go several weeks without incident. this is not acceptable. i weent to a BN store and they tried to help, but just suggested reset or recharge the battery. Inconsistency is no solution. I am going to demand a new one or have my AMex card credit me for the purchaes. When it is working, I generally love it. I dont hear many complaints from Kindle owners, but i prefer epub files as I can sometimes frind free downloads.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

doc51248 wrote:

if you bought it new, and have a receipt, shouldn't the warranty be from the date of purchase? I bought one from Office Max on 12/31/12. I freqently have it freeze and can only turn pages with the side push. Sometimes cannot turn pages at all. Sometimes a reset works, and sometimes just leaving it alone for a while solves the problem. Then i can go several weeks without incident. this is not acceptable. i weent to a BN store and they tried to help, but just suggested reset or recharge the battery. Inconsistency is no solution. I am going to demand a new one or have my AMex card credit me for the purchaes. When it is working, I generally love it. I dont hear many complaints from Kindle owners, but i prefer epub files as I can sometimes frind free downloads.

Call CS and explain the problem.  You can probably get them to send you a refurbed unit under warranty since it's acting up.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Wordsmith
tmr4

When you have a freeze, try cleaning around the edges of the touch screen. I had this once and a small piece of dust was keeping the touch screen from working. Look carefully. For me it was a very small piece of dust.