Contributor
dbgVA
0 Kudos

Opening NST case

Has anyone out there successfully opened (and closed) their Nook case?

The charging port on my NST is broken (apparently I was a little too rough plugging and unplugging) and I'm no longer able to charge my Nook. 

I figure at this point I have nothing to lose if I open it up and see if there is any way to fix it.  But looking at my NST I can't figure out how to get it open, I know they don't want you to, but there must be a way. 

In the meantime I've ordered a Nook HD+, can't beat the price.  I'd like to still have the use of my NST since it's readable in sunlight. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: Opening NST case

dbgVA wrote:

Has anyone out there successfully opened (and closed) their Nook case?

The charging port on my NST is broken (apparently I was a little too rough plugging and unplugging) and I'm no longer able to charge my Nook. 

I figure at this point I have nothing to lose if I open it up and see if there is any way to fix it.  But looking at my NST I can't figure out how to get it open, I know they don't want you to, but there must be a way. 

In the meantime I've ordered a Nook HD+, can't beat the price.  I'd like to still have the use of my NST since it's readable in sunlight. 

You can find tutorials on how to take the nook apart if you google.  Be warned that folks who have done this aren't always able to get them back together the way they were, because the back snaps out and sometimes the snaps break.

I'm assuming you wouldn't be doing this if you still had a warranty on your nook, but just in case - please know that this will void your warranty.

Inspired Contributor
SirLoyne

It's really easy to open a Nook Touch, if you have a set of jeweler's screwdrivers. You can pop off the power button on the back with a 1.4mm flat head screwdriver and then use the screwdriver to take out the screw underneath. It's a T-5 Torx head screw, but the 1.4mm flathead works fine. Hold the nook in both hands with the back up and then slide the back down with your thumbs. The battery is attached to the inside of the cover, so that will have to be unplugged. Then it's just a matter of removing all the screws, 11 I think it was, unplugging the cable from the motherboard and then that can lift out. The screen is held on with double sided tape, but it pulls off with a little effort.Be careful not to bend any pins in the battery connector when plugging it back in, they're a real pain to straighten out.

Contributor
dbgVA
0 Kudos

Thanks for the info.  Unfortunately I'm well out of warranty, I figure I have nothing to lose by taking a look inside.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

There are some great videos on YouTube. It looks to be a simple procedure.