Reader
bornlivedie
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Question about text quality

I bought my Nook a week ago exactly, and so far, I love it. It's light, it's the perfect size, it's compatible with all my books and has a slot for microSD.

And, I don't know if this is a placebo effect or not, but after the update to 1.2.1 I've noticed that the text looks pixelated, grainy.

I can only notice it when I'm outside in direct sunlight or inside, with strong light. A screen refresh doesn't solve this (i don't know if there's anything to solve, though).

What I did noticed too, is that it only happens with some books and it seems related to text size. For example, I set the maximum font size and the text looks good (not perfeclty crisp, but very good), but lowering the font size, makes the text pixelated and grainy.

I don't know if this is normal. And since I was so worried about it, I formatted the Nook via PC and then restored it to factory defaults. No luck.

Reader
bornlivedie
0 Kudos

Re: Question about text quality

Well, nobody answered... so I guess I'll answer myself.

The text becomes fuzzy/pixelated/grainy after a few page turns. With a screen refresh, it goes away.

I've read this before on this board, some said it was normal, others didn't. So, is it normal or not?

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch

Sorry, I'd actually meant to reply when I read the initial post, but was distracted by some real world things.

I tested this out a little on my NSTG, the few times I saw any odd text were rare and as you observed a refresh would clear it.

I suspect it may be ghosting causing the issue, it's one of the drawbacks of eink.  The old image isn't always totally cleared save for a screen refresh.  It shouldn't happen all the time, but when it does pressing the 'n' button should cause enough of a refresh to clear it.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
bobstro
0 Kudos

Isn't the NST default to refresh after 6 pages? Somebody way back clued me in to the fact that pressing the 'n' menu twice (once to pull up the QuickMenu, again to dismiss it) would cause a refresh if it's ever distracting.

Mercury_Glitch

bobstro wrote:

Isn't the NST default to refresh after 6 pages? Somebody way back clued me in to the fact that pressing the 'n' menu twice (once to pull up the QuickMenu, again to dismiss it) would cause a refresh if it's ever distracting.

Every six pages, or any time there is an image, including chapter headings if applicable, the NST will refresh.  Chapter headings in this case being more than just the chapter number and or name, there must be an image of some sort but even a small one should cause a refresh.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Reader
bornlivedie
0 Kudos

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

Sorry, I'd actually meant to reply when I read the initial post, but was distracted by some real world things.

I tested this out a little on my NSTG, the few times I saw any odd text were rare and as you observed a refresh would clear it.

I suspect it may be ghosting causing the issue, it's one of the drawbacks of eink.  The old image isn't always totally cleared save for a screen refresh.  It shouldn't happen all the time, but when it does pressing the 'n' button should cause enough of a refresh to clear it.

Yes, apparently ghosting is causing this.

Thing is, I get ghosting with every page turn, so the text looks blurry/whatever until the screen refreshes.

Wordsmith
tmr4
0 Kudos

I'd go to the store to compare. There have been a few reports of some NST screens having lower contrast. Then again there have been reports where it seems as if the user was just especially sensitive to the ghosting. I notice very little loss of clarity on my NST after 5 page turns and the slight ghosting that shows up from time to time has never been obtrusive.
Contributor
RPO46
0 Kudos

Thanks for the tip on double clicking the n button.I was using a white screensaver to do the same thing but it takes longer.