New User
Pope44
0 Kudos

Screen flashing

I tried to turn on my BNRV300 model and it did its normal flicker from black to white, but instead of stopping and continuing with its normal start up procedure, it continued to flicker from black to white. The same start up procedure occurs while it flickers and I'm able to slide my finger across in order to unlock it, but it doesn't load the home screen. The top bar with the time, battery, etc shows, but it's just a blank screen otherwise flickering back and forth rapidly. I can turn it on and off, but nothing I do makes it stop.

Is there anything I can try to do to fix it, or do I need to send it in? It's still under warranty as far as I know, so that's okay. Just looking for a quick fix if there is one.

Correspondent
Marty-TX
0 Kudos

Re: Screen flashing

Welcome to the group. Try a "soft reset" mentioned in the User Guide:

Performing a Soft Reset

If for some reason your NOOK becomes unresponsive, you can perform a soft reset to restart the device.
1. Press and hold the power button for 20 seconds, then release the power button.
2. Press the power button again for 2 seconds to turn on your NOOK.

This is quick and easy and worth a try. Hope it works for you.

Wordsmith
CraigAZ
0 Kudos

And if Marty's suggestion doesn't work, try cleaning your touch screen.

New User
Pope44
0 Kudos

Tried the soft reset a few times with no luck. The screen is clean too. Thanks for the quick response, but I guess I'll give customer service a call tomorrow.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Pope44 wrote:

Tried the soft reset a few times with no luck. The screen is clean too. Thanks for the quick response, but I guess I'll give customer service a call tomorrow.

Make sure that you clean the edges of the screen. microscopic dust and dirt will interfere with the IR touch screen. 

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

ProfReader wrote:

Pope44 wrote:

Make sure that you clean the edges of the screen. microscopic dust and dirt will interfere with the IR touch screen. 

Yep, a hair wedged in the side will make the screen FREAK OUT because it's looking from the sides and triangulating and not really feeling you touch it.

New User
Wheelio
0 Kudos

Were you able to fix this Pope44? I am having the same problem and googling it just brings up entries on people talking about normal screen flashing.

New User
greek3
0 Kudos

i had that problem but when i did that it did not work :smileysad:

New User
greek3
0 Kudos

thats probably what mine is doing but i have been cleaning the edges and stuff with no luck

New User
greek3
0 Kudos

agghh i am here watching it and it is flippen out but i cant see anything on the screen

New User
jeffelkins
0 Kudos

My screen started to go nuts (constant flicker) which stopped when I went to setup. Reboots didn't fix it. Deregister & erase did.
Contributor
N8UX
0 Kudos

FYI:

I experienced this problem with my Nook Simple Touch, but the flashing only occured within the library screen. Immediately prior to this, I had requested samples of 3 ebooks from barnesandnoble.com via a desktop computer. Not sure if that had anything to do with it. Just putting it out there for the record.

I went to settings, and unmounted the 4 gb sd card that was installed, removed it, and the problem went away without de-registering or a reset. I reinstalled the card, and the problem returned after a few navigations to the library screen.

So I unmounted and removed the card again, and plugged it into my desktop, copied any files that I had on it to the computer. I reinstalled the card in the Nook, unmounted it and formatted it. I plugged the Nook into the computer via usb and transferred the files back, and all has been well so far (48 hours).

New User
Darkmom
0 Kudos

this worked great! My locked screen wouldn't let me in and kept flashing in frozen mode, so I tried this soft reset and it worked fine!!!

thanks so much!

Reader 4
ssl829
0 Kudos

I just had this problem.  Last night I found my NOOK freaking out - blinking off and on.  Even when I turned it off, it just kept blinking really fast.  A soft reset didn't work, but I followed advice found online to deregister, erase and re-register.  That worked.