New User
Don_K
0 Kudos

Search for Simple Touch books

Is there a way on the website to restrict my book search to only books available for the Simple Touch?

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: Search for Simple Touch books

Don_K wrote:

Is there a way on the website to restrict my book search to only books available for the Simple Touch?

Nope. The only way to do this is to shop from the device.

Distinguished Correspondent
RJR443
0 Kudos

If you limit your search on the main site to "NOOK books," you'll get only books available to the Nook device in all of its manifestations.  Use the drop-down menu under "Products."

What would be the advantage of limiting yoursearch to only the NST?

bobstro
0 Kudos

Presumably, this would be useful to anybody who only owns a NST. If B&N is truly focusing on eInk NOOK, that might be a good feature to implement. 

keriflur
0 Kudos

RJR443 wrote:

If you limit your search on the main site to "NOOK books," you'll get only books available to the Nook device in all of its manifestations.  Use the drop-down menu under "Products."

What would be the advantage of limiting yoursearch to only the NST?

To exclude all the PagePerfect and other enhanced ebooks that don't work on the eink nooks, and the random few non-epub, non-enhanced books that only work on the N1E.

RJR443
0 Kudos

Now I'm thoroughly confused.  If you search the website under Nook Books only, is there a possibly that you'll be ofered a book that isn't suitable for any  Nook reader, NST included?

keriflur

RJR443 wrote:

Now I'm thoroughly confused.  If you search the website under Nook Books only, is there a possibly that you'll be ofered a book that isn't suitable for any  Nook reader, NST included?

No, every nook book can be read on a nook, just not every nook.

The original nook, the N1E, is the only nook that can read .pdb files.  B&N converted most of its .pdb books to .epub, but every once in a while someone finds one that slipped through the cracks. 

The color nooks can handle books that are in enhanced formats (i.e., books that are NOT plain vanilla .epub files) that the eink nooks (NST, NSTg, N1E) cannot display.

Basically it's a good idea to click the question mark next to "Available on NOOK devices and apps" before buying a book on the website, so you know for sure if it will work on your NST.

RJR443
0 Kudos

For this relief, Keriflur, much thanks.