Contributor
Amitatuq
0 Kudos

Side-loaded book refusing to open without cc number.

My NST is asking for my name and credit card number for a book I didn't even purchase from BN.  I sideloaded it from my computer and all the other books I bought at the same time and place are working fine.  

Unfortunately the credit card I used is one that I lost a month or two ago and had to replace.  So I don't even have the old number to input.

Any thoughts?  I'm even having trouble bringing it up on the Nook app on my computer.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Re: Side-loaded book refusing to open without cc number.

If you have any of your old cc statements, see if it's listed there.  I think the new statements just list the last 4 digits, so you might have to look back a couple of years.  If that's not an option, someone else will have to help you.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Contributor
Amitatuq
0 Kudos

Thank you!  I just went back and checked it and did find the number.  But unfortunately it's not accepting the number.  Maybe because it's not a BN purchase?  But why is it asking for that when it's not their book to begin with... :-/ 

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

I doesn't matter where you bought it. If it's running a DRM the Nook can recognize it will try to force you to unlock it. It usually requires a cc# and name.

When I've had problems with this, it was usually because of the name.

Some sites seem to code the DRM with the billing name on the cc# (i.e. name as embossed on the card), some with whatever user name was on your online store account. So, for example, your credit card may be imprinted John Quincey Adams Jr. and you had your account under John Q. Adams. Try all variations to see if that helps. I know it has for me in the past.

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

Are you sideloading through ADE or Calibre? If the book is loaded through one of these programs--exp. ADE--I don't think you will be asked to unlock it--DRMed or not.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

whiteginger wrote:

Are you sideloading through ADE or Calibre? If the book is loaded through one of these programs--exp. ADE--I don't think you will be asked to unlock it--DRMed or not.

Books sideloaded from other vendors through ADE should not ask for a cc number.  Most of the other eBook sellers do not use the credit card DRM scheme.  I have a lot of books from Kobo, some from Sony and I've never had to input a cc number.  It sounds like the Nook thinks they are B&N purchases, so depending where you purchased them, you may need to use ADE.

Contributor
Amitatuq
0 Kudos

I was using ADE but ended up having to delete the book and then try loading it again.  For some reason it worked that time.  I wish I was more technologically capable! 

bobstro
0 Kudos

Also remember that if you have copies of older books purchased from B&N, you can re-download them from B&N and they'll be re-keyed with your latest CC info.

keriflur
0 Kudos

As a general rule, just enter the card number on the account whenever you're prompted, and even it it's sideloaded content, and it will open.  The nook just gets a little confused sometimes.