New User
zaib_atsu
0 Kudos

Simple Touch First Charge- Does not power up

[ Edited ]

Hello. I'm Cem from Turkey. I've recently purchased Nook Simple Touch, and opened its box today. It says "Fully charge before first use. Press the 'power' button on the back to power up" So I connected it to my laptop via USB, and started to wait. Now I wonder if it should have been opened automatically as I read on the other posts. It's still on that "fully charge before first use" page, and nothing happened when I tried to power it up by pressing the power button for many seconds.

I have waited for an hour and its still the same. Green/yellow light is there so I think its charging. I've seen a red blinking once though. And in every 45-50 seconds, my computer plays a little melody (I guess it is the device connection sound of Windows 8 but I'm not sure)

If you can help me please do. Thanks in advance.

edit: I've checked it and confirmed it is the device connection sound, and device disconnection sound right after.

edit 2: I've tried to connect it to laptop via my Nokia cellphone's USB cord; but the melody is still present.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

Re: Simple Touch First Charge- Does not power up

[ Edited ]
Can you try a wall charger? The NST doesn't need much power, so any phone charger with the right connector should work. It sounds like you're getting a poor connection on your computer since the connect/disconnect sound is repeated. At minimum, try another cable and USB port. Once the device has sufficient charge, it should boot and that message will be replaced by the screensaver swipe screen. This should take from 15 to 30 minutes using a 500mAh charger.
New User
zaib_atsu

Thank you for your answer.
Wall charger is not suitable for my country's standards, so I cannot try it. But I did try another cable and USB port, and another PC. It installs drivers for each of the new port, but then the sounds start again.
I've checked device manager. Between connection and disconnection sounds, I see a OMAP3630 icon on the window, but then it disappears.
Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Check the charger specs.Most modern chargers are switchin transistor designs and operate on anything from 100 to 250 volt AC, and 50 to 60 Hz. All you may need is a travel adapter to go from US flat blades to your system. Or see if some stores carry a local outlet compatible USB charger rated 500mA or more output that you could plug the cable into.

Baron Wulfraed
New User
zaib_atsu
0 Kudos

Thanks for your answers. I bought that kind of USB charger just now (1A output) but this time even the green light have not shown up.
Even if it was worked, could the device be considered proper? I think it should be able to be charged via USB port in my laptop.
Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Sorry, no more ideas for trouble shooting.

Baron Wulfraed
Distinguished Correspondent
jamartMF
0 Kudos

Cem I bought 3 NST last week and I had the same problem with one of the devices it would never charge. I took it back to the store and they replaced it no questions. Call customer service. They should replace it for you. Good luck.
New User
Laura_Arg
0 Kudos

I have exactly the same problem! The lights, the sound, the omap3630 message... And the device doesn´t turn on. I´m in Argentina, so to change the device is not an option. Could anybody help me??? Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!