Contributor
pitweasel
0 Kudos

Simple Touch auto-upgraded...but froze in process

I received a Simple Touch for Christmas about a year and a half ago, and I had avoided updating the software because it was working just fine.

Well, last night it suddenly decided that it would just go ahead and update itself without asking me.  This was about 16 hours ago...and it's still sitting on a screen that says "this will take a few minutes".  There's something that looks like a progress bar that might spin or something, but there's nothing actually moving on the display. 

Is there any possible way to turn this thing off?  I don't have any tools to rip it open, and since it had ~30% of its battery left when this started, it's going to take a loooooong time for it to just sputter out and power itself off.  Is it likely that I'm going to have to throw this out and buy a Kindle, or can I actually try to do something to save this?

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

Re: Simple Touch auto-upgraded...but froze in process

The battery is probably empty. Connect the Nook to the charger.

Contributor
pitweasel
0 Kudos

It was connected to the charger when the problem first started.  It was after two hours of being frozen on the "this will take a few minutes" message that I decided it was probably best to actually let the battery drain completely.  If it was a battery issue, why would it have frozen while still plugged in?

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Did you try pushing and holding the power button (center top back) for ten seconds?

Contributor
pitweasel
0 Kudos

Yes.  I've held both the power and the "n" botton down for anywhere from 10 seconds to a minute, both alone and together.  None of that has had any impact whatsoever on the state of the Nook; it's still just frozen on that same screen.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

The NST has a fail-safe mechanism that will re-load the last successfully loaded firmware after 8 failed reboots. Try manually pressing the rear power button until the device reboots 8 or more times, letting it come up to that screen each time. Let it come partway up so it recognizes the failed boot. With any luck, after about the 8th attempt, it will reload your last firmware and you'll be back in business. Unfortunately, the unit will be as shipped from the factory, so you'll lose any personalization and need to reload your books, but it will get you going.

Contributor
pitweasel
0 Kudos

I can't get it to reboot one time, let alone eight.  Good to hear that there's a fail safe built in; I guess I just have to wait several days (weeks?) for it to finally die before I can get it to a boot status again.

bobstro
0 Kudos

No need to wait. If you long-press the power button on the back, it should either power off, or attempt to reboot. It can take upwards of 10 seconds sometimes, but you'll the screen flicker when it happens. 

Contributor
pitweasel
0 Kudos

As I've already mentioned, I've held that button for anywhere from ten seconds to 60 seconds.  Yes, literally a minute of holding it.  It does not have ANY impact on the state of the device whatsoever.  So unless there's some other option (and again, I do not have any means of physically opening the device and removing the battery), what option do I have other than waiting?

bobstro
0 Kudos

I apologize for bothering you, and promise not to do it again.
Contributor
pitweasel
0 Kudos

You were trying to help; I appreciate it.  I'm more frustrated with BN for making a product that would update without my persmission, and then freeze with no way for me to manually power it down and force me to wait an extremely long time before even attempting to fix the issue.  

keriflur
0 Kudos

pitweasel wrote:

You were trying to help; I appreciate it.  I'm more frustrated with BN for making a product that would update without my persmission, and then freeze with no way for me to manually power it down and force me to wait an extremely long time before even attempting to fix the issue.  

You seem to be under the impression that something will change once the battery runs down.  I suspect it won't, simply because if the screen isn't updating, you have no way to know what it's doing.  The battery could completely drain and the screen would look the same. So, how will you know that it's drained?

Contributor
pitweasel
0 Kudos

I was under the impression that no battery = no display, and no ability for the software to be stuck in any sort of state other than "off".  Am I incorrect here?  How can something be displayed if the battery is truly and utterly dead?  This is the only e-ink device I've ever owned, and having never had an issue before, I'm not too familiar with the technology.

Correspondent
Wulfraed

EInk consists of a suspension of little hollow balls filled with tinier charged particles in black and white. When an electrical voltage is applied, the appropriate particles get pushed up or down inside the balls. If black is up tje display is datk. Removing power doesn't move the particles.

A full clearing of the display usually uses a cycle of flashing all white, all black, and all white.

It is the fact that the device holds the last image without using power that makes eInk batteries last so long on each charge.

Baron Wulfraed
roustabout
0 Kudos

If there's a micro SD card in your NST, you might want to try removing it and then try holding in the power button with it connected to power again. 

The NST and NC will try to boot from SD if they can, and sometimes weird hangs like this can be cleared by getting the SD out of the way. 

If that doesn't work, you might want to search on XDA for disassembly instructions - it's not hard to get the back panel off.  I find that the power button on my NSTs seem questionable at times, and its possible that the plastic tab and the actual switch on yours aren't aligned well. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.