New User
Fritz_D
0 Kudos

Somewhere between a ghost and being stuck

Yesterday when I opened my nook, and the bottom fifth of the Bronte Sisters didn't clear off screen.  It went ahead and opened my book, let me flip pages, but you can't see anything in the lowest fifth of the screen.  It's had issues with ghost images being left on the screen, but never anything I couldn't ignore.  I tried completely recharging it, but that hasn't helped.  Is there any way to reset it?  I live in Mongolia so I can't take it back to the store.

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

Re: Somewhere between a ghost and being stuck

Does it look something like this?

photo.jpg

If so, I'm afraid that's a broken eink screen. That's rotten luck...sorry.

New User
Fritz_D
0 Kudos

Yeah.  Damn.  I bought it right at the beginning of the year - how long is the warranty on them?

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

It has a one-year warranty. I can't advise on the best way to communicate with customer service from your location. You might try a PM to Alex for starters. Click "Send this user a Private Message" on the right-hand side of the page. Good luck.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

If you call CS-

Things to try before calling CS, to save you time when calling.  Note I do not think any of these actually work to resolve the issue, but it's highly likely that they will ask you to do these steps

1) Hold the power button down for 20 seconds to force a reboot. 

2) place the nook on the edge of a counter (this just makes the next bit easier) press and hold the power button and the two top side turn buttons.  Hold them for 20 seconds then release and press down again for 20 seconds.  Repeat that for a total of 6 times.  Yes this is a pain.  I hate even trying to do it.  I also highly doubt it will do anything.  I would probably just tell them you have tried this step and it resulted in no change. 

When you call CS tell them the following

My screen is half frozen.  It responds to touch, but half of the screen does not change, the screensaver image remains.  I have tried a hard reboot and a hard reset neither of which has had any result, you may also want to describe the two steps above, leaving out my editorial on how annoying the one is of course.

Should you live near a B&N you may have better luck just going in.  I would advise calling ahead if you want to make sure you can go home with a working Nook.

Call and explain your Nook is broken, tell them which one you have and that you are under warranty, ask if they have any refurbished ones available as a replacement. 

When you go in, find a bookseller and ask if they can help with your Nook.  They either can, or they'll find someone who can.  Explain the situation to them.  They'll probably have to call store support to verify your warrenty and then can proceed to either replace your Nook with a refurbished one, if they have it in stock, or have store support set up a replacement. 

As a bookseller I would highly advise that you go to your nearest B&N if it is at all possible. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

Mercury, the OP indicates that he's in Mongolia. I have a feeling that a call from that location would be expensive. What about an online chat with CS?

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Ah I'd missed that, bit in scanning the post.

A live chat would work as well, the information would be the same as if you called CS.

Be patient, I'm not sure if the it's the hardware or the people at the other end but it can be a slow process.  Hopefully they can just ship you one. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.