Contributor
RPO46
0 Kudos

Start Over on Synch Issue

One of the threads on the synch issue is up to 21 pages with no resolution. So let's make it real simple.

I have a single Nook ST (nothing to synch TO) and almost never turn on wifi. It is using the latest 1.2.1 firmware. Almost all my content right now is sideloaded open epubs on a 4G SD card. And nearly every time I leave a book (to go to settings for example) and come back, I get the synch error implying a second device that DOES NOT EXIST. And even if it did exist, the Nook would have no way of synching to it with wifi off. Sometimes it opens the book on page 1 without even a "synch to highest page" option, so I completely lose my place. I have tried multiple posted solutions. This seems to be a FIRMWARE BUG, and not a minor one.

I bought one of these for a gift and had planned on buying at least 2 more because it's a nice machine. But if it cannot do something as simple as remember the last page read and there is no fix in the works, it's time to look at other brands. B&N loses sales of readers and perhaps years of books they might buy, mutiplied by the thousands of people experiencing this issue or reading about it. Wake up B&N and fix this!

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Re: Start Over on Synch Issue

[ Edited ]

I was seeing this issue and found that doing a reset on the device fixed it, per method #3 listed here: http://nookdevs.com/Nook_Simple_Touch_restore_to_stock.  The bad news: it pretty much wipes all content.  You'll need to re-enter your email and password as if it's a new device, recopy all sideloaded books (as well as any screensavers) to the Nook, and recreate your shelves.  The good news: it remembers the page numbers and stops remembering phantom other devices.

The reset method is:

Note that this absolutely destroys your shelves, notes, and other information, and you will be asked to register your Nook with BN again.

• Turn off your N2E completely.
  • Turn it on again by holding down power, and then,

as soon as the screen flashes, begin holding down the bottom page turn keys on the left and right of the device until the screen flashes with a message asking if you want to do a factory reset.

• Click the home key twice, and you should be on your way.

Contributor
RPO46
0 Kudos

Thanks. I haven't gone quite that far yet, but the question still remains how this machine got the notion that there was another device in the first place. I'm no expert, but it looks like a firmware bug to me. I'll try this, but I am skeptical about it as a permanent solution.

The problem with the other thread on this subject is that there is an unlimited amount of variability between users with all different kinds of devices trying to synch between devices, and that complicates the analysis and results in 21 pages with no real solution. Of course they can't synch between multiple devices when a SINGLE, isolated Nook cannot remember page numbers and even tries to connect to phantom devices. And if the Nook continues to do this without ever turning on wifi, it is not a B&N server error because the Nook never saw the server. The error has to reside in the device itself.

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Based on the way the behavior looked to me, it seemed as if the device half-thought it should be on page 1, but also sort of found this indicator that it should be on some other page, and somehow decided that the different page number must be coming from some other device.  Since sideloaded content can't sync, obviously that can't be the case.  I started getting it occasionally before the recent software update, and I was hoping the update would fix it, but it started getting more and more common and I got tired of bookmarking my place every time I left one book to open another.

But, as I said, putting it through the reset seems to have cleared up the problem totally.

Contributor
RPO46
0 Kudos

One other suggestion I read that seems to work is to delete the book, disconnect the USB, then reconnect and reinstall the book. But these are workarounds, as is using a bookmark when the unit is supposed to remember the last page read..

Mine was plagued with this, then suddenly stopped doing it. The B&N developers really need to look at their firmware, but this is one of those things that might take persistence to find because the problem can be intermittent. I hesitate to buy more as gifts until this bug is resolved- who wants to give someone a headache as a "gift"?

I would not press the resolved button on this until it is truly resolved.

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

I might have discovered one possible factor in the issue, having any book open while sideloading content.  It seems to get very confused about that particular book and will never track its pages properly again, even if you remove it and redownload it by archiving and unarchiving.  Always go back to the library view (or the home page, but I never go there) before hooking the USB cable to your computer.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

RPO46 wrote:

One other suggestion I read that seems to work is to delete the book, disconnect the USB, then reconnect and reinstall the book.

I would not 'delete' the book unless you have it backed up someplace.  'Delete' means to remove it from your account.  You will have to repurchase the book again.  'Archive' the book means to take it off of your device and store it in the cloud so you can redownload it again.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

kamas716 wrote:

RPO46 wrote:

One other suggestion I read that seems to work is to delete the book, disconnect the USB, then reconnect and reinstall the book.

I would not 'delete' the book unless you have it backed up someplace.  'Delete' means to remove it from your account.  You will have to repurchase the book again.  'Archive' the book means to take it off of your device and store it in the cloud so you can redownload it again.

RPO is sideloading just about all his content, so I assume he means delete from the Nook and recopy.

Contributor
RPO46
0 Kudos

Yes. Delete sideloaded content from the Nook, reconnect, then reinstall the book. I only have a few B&N titles I have not read, so I don't know if this bug affects those as well.

Contributor
RPO46
0 Kudos

MacMcK1957 wrote:

I might have discovered one possible factor in the issue, having any book open while sideloading content.  It seems to get very confused about that particular book and will never track its pages properly again, even if you remove it and redownload it by archiving and unarchiving.  Always go back to the library view (or the home page, but I never go there) before hooking the USB cable to your computer.

Thanks. Since I started doing this, I have NO more problems. I don't recall seeing this in the manual, but it probably should be there.

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

RPO46 wrote:
Thanks. Since I started doing this, I have NO more problems. I don't recall seeing this in the manual, but it probably should be there.

I'm guessing nobody at B&N is aware of it, because I suspect it would be fairly easy to fix if they were.  Unfortunately, there seems no reliable way to communicate such bug reports and actually have any confidence they'll be seen by those who could fix them.

keriflur

MacMcK1957 wrote:

RPO46 wrote:

I'm guessing nobody at B&N is aware of it, because I suspect it would be fairly easy to fix if they were.  Unfortunately, there seems no reliable way to communicate such bug reports and actually have any confidence they'll be seen by those who could fix them.

You could post it to the issues board.  Er, wait...