Contributor
jrobe10689
Accepted Solution

Too Stupid to figure out

I have a Nook 1st Edition that I love!  But felt I should upgrade to the Simple Touch.  I read a book and then put it on a shelf so I can find it again.  With the 1st Edition this was very easy to do from the book screen. Can I do easily with the Simple Touch?  Making a shelf and then going through each book (there is a lot of them) to decide if it goes on that shelf.  I would like to be able to go through my books and just put them on the shelf they belong like the 1st Edition. 

Also, is there an easy way to see which books are not on a shelf with the Simple Touch?

Distinguished Correspondent
RJR443

Re: Too Stupid to figure out

One of the worst problems with the NST is its terrible shelving system.  Sorry, but you simply can't do it the way you did it on the N1E.  You have to create the appropriate shelf and then go through your entire library book by book and enter eafch one.

And no, there's no way to tell at a glance whether a given boook is shelved at all.  Or which shelf it might be on if it is shelved.

That said, the NST remains an improvement over the original--much easier to navigate and manipulate.

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

The shelving system on the NST remains a mystery. Somebody must have somehow thought it was an improvement, or why would they do it? Yet everyone who had the N1E first agrees that the original system was much, much better. But, in just about every other way, I think it's a much better device.
keriflur

MacMcK1957 wrote:
The shelving system on the NST remains a mystery. Somebody must have somehow thought it was an improvement, or why would they do it? Yet everyone who had the N1E first agrees that the original system was much, much better. But, in just about every other way, I think it's a much better device.

Given that B&N has removed the last page read from the N1E and page numbers from the ToC on the NST, I don't think changes need to be improvements for B&N to make them.

Contributor
jrobe10689
0 Kudos

While I do like that I do not need to go back and forth from my documents to my library, I am so frustrated with the shelves and the Simple Touch that I am seriously thinking of returning it and sticking with my 1st edition. :smileysad:

Bibliophile
laurieb52

It takes a while to shelve, but once shelved, it's easier to access your shelves on the Simple Touch, plus you there are 3 options for viewing books on shelves.

I alway use my prior nook as a reference in shelving books on the newest nook; it helps to eliminate misfiling or not filing a book.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Contributor
jrobe10689
0 Kudos

Is there any way to delete or archive a book without having access to a computer?  I can't find an option on the Simple Touch to do this.  I loved being to do that on the 1st Edition.

MacMcK1957

jrobe10689 wrote:

Is there any way to delete or archive a book without having access to a computer?  I can't find an option on the Simple Touch to do this.  I loved being to do that on the 1st Edition.

Yes, for downloaded B&N purchases, as long as you're connected to WiFi.  While the book is open, touch the screen to bring up the menu options along the bottom.  Touch the "More" option on the right, and you will see the Archive button.

Or, from the library, double-tap on the book cover, and it will bring you straight to the More screen where you can see the Archive button.

I don't know any way to delete side-loaded books.  For those you have to connect the USB cable to a computer to delete them from the file system.