New User
malakais_mama

Transfer books to SD card?

How do I transfer my B&N books to my SD card?  I thought I could just drag and drop from the device to the card, but when I plug the Nook 2 into the computer and browse the files, they are all empty...

If I can't put my downloaded books onto the SD card, then what is the point of the expansion?  Thanks in advance...

Frequent Contributor
geertm

Re: Transfer books to SD card?

malakais_mama wrote:

How do I transfer my B&N books to my SD card?  I thought I could just drag and drop from the device to the card, but when I plug the Nook 2 into the computer and browse the files, they are all empty...

If I can't put my downloaded books onto the SD card, then what is the point of the expansion?  Thanks in advance...

The SD-card is for  side-loading non-B&N books and music. If there is not enough room for your B&N books, just archive some.

If you want to put your B&N books on the SD-card than install Nook for PC on your PC to download the books, than copy them to the SD-card. First archive the B&N version of the books, otherwise you will see every book twice.

New User
malakais_mama
0 Kudos

Thanks for the info...how do I archive?

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

malakais_mama wrote:

Thanks for the info...how do I archive?

Double-tap on a book and choose archive.

Reader
ILuvMyNookIN
0 Kudos

I agree about the purpose of having an SD card and not being able to transfer my books to it to save space on my nook color.  Haven't been able to figure it out and also spent about 45 minutes in an online chat with a B&N rep and couldn't understand anything he was trying to get me to do. 

Does anybody have any suggestions?  I've tried putting my SD card into my computer and thought I could "drag and drop" that way, but couldn't.  I'm finding that it's not very user friendly!

Frequent Contributor
LizJ70
0 Kudos

I've been using Calibre to transfer books.  I download them in Nook for PC and then import them into Calibre and use Calibre to put them onto the SD card.  But, the drawback is that when you transfer from the main memory (which is severely limited) you lose the social features and you also lose the ability to see the description of the book.  

This is my only complaint with the Nook.  I wish they would change this limitation, or allow you to be able to choose to store your books on a SD card.  It's like we are being discouraged to buy books.  :/

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

ILuvMyNookIN wrote:

I agree about the purpose of having an SD card and not being able to transfer my books to it to save space on my nook color. [emphasis added]  Haven't been able to figure it out and also spent about 45 minutes in an online chat with a B&N rep and couldn't understand anything he was trying to get me to do. 

Does anybody have any suggestions?  I've tried putting my SD card into my computer and thought I could "drag and drop" that way, but couldn't.  I'm finding that it's not very user friendly!

While many of the tips & tricks are similar, for NOOK Color concerns, you may want to try posting here instead:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Color-Support/bd-p/NCReader

This section is for the NOOK Simple Touch, in many respects a very different device.

Reader 4
MissyKay

I just exchanged my N1e for a Simple Touch. What I have been doing to put my B&N books on my SD card, is to go to my B&N library on the website. With my SD card in my computer, I click download on the book I want and save it directly to my SD card and then I archive the book in my online library. It worked really good with my N1e, so I could save my internal memory. I only kept my mags, samples, and a few others active so it wouldn't use up all the space. I haven't played around with it on my Simple Touch yet as I've only had it a day and haven't had time. But, fingers crossed, I'm hoping it still works that way with the NST.

Hope this helps. :smileyhappy:

keriflur

MissyKay wrote:

I just exchanged my N1e for a Simple Touch. What I have been doing to put my B&N books on my SD card, is to go to my B&N library on the website. With my SD card in my computer, I click download on the book I want and save it directly to my SD card and then I archive the book in my online library. It worked really good with my N1e, so I could save my internal memory. I only kept my mags, samples, and a few others active so it wouldn't use up all the space. I haven't played around with it on my Simple Touch yet as I've only had it a day and haven't had time. But, fingers crossed, I'm hoping it still works that way with the NST.

Hope this helps. :smileyhappy:

You should have no problems with this system on the NST.  Happy reading :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
KevinCK
0 Kudos

Just out of curiosity, why would you want to store a Nookbook on an SD card? Archiving the book does basically the same thing and takes up no space at all. It just saves your book (and your notes, highlights, etc) in BN's cloud, so that when you want the book again, you can just re-download it.

Is there another reason you'd want to store Nookbooks on an SD card that would discourage you from just archiving it?

Correspondent
Marty-TX
0 Kudos

KevinCK wrote:

Just out of curiosity, why would you want to store a Nookbook on an SD card? Archiving the book does basically the same thing and takes up no space at all. It just saves your book (and your notes, highlights, etc) in BN's cloud, so that when you want the book again, you can just re-download it.

Is there another reason you'd want to store Nookbooks on an SD card that would discourage you from just archiving it?

Hi Kevin,

Reason 1: Gremlins occasionally attack my NST and I have to "erase/deregister" to fix some problems. With my entire library on an SD card, I don't have to re-download any books. The SD card doesn't turn the erase/deregister process into a fun chore, but it makes it much less of a nuisance.

Reason 2:  My wife and I travel a good bit and don't always have a convenient and reliable wifi connection to re-download books.  Also, I'm guilty of not planning ahead very well and re-downloading books before we hit the road.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

KevinCK wrote:

I don't always have access to WiFi, in fact, I have no access to WiFi during the week when at work.  I can't get the archived books until I find somewhere with WiFi.  So, I move some books to the SD card and then archive the books.

keriflur

[ Edited ]

KevinCK wrote:

Um, not the same thing.  Archiving means you no longer have a readable copy of the book on your device.  Putting a book on an SD card means you DO have a readable copy of the book, effectively on your device.  This is a pretty big difference.

Also, you have to keep an active card on your account to redownload, and not everyone wants to do that.

And you are now trusting someone else with something you paid for.  Not backing up is never a good idea.

And if the reason you need to move books is that you've run out of space, then when you go to pull this book down again you'll need to archive something else.

And when you redownload, you get whatever edition is the current edition, meaning that formatting may have changed, images may have changed or been removed, etc.

And I've heard more than once that when you archive you lose your notes and highlights, so...

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

KevinCK wrote:

I'm one of those people who doesn't like turning things that are my responsiblity over to someone else (I have this argument all the time with the Office Manager at work).  Why should I rely on someone else (who I have no control over BTW) to make sure all the information (or in this case, books) I need is available, when I can quite simply do it myself and make sure it's done right?

With my books on my SD card (I also have them backed up on my laptop at home and on a flash drive as well), I don't have to worry about having a WiFi connection when I want to open a certain book.  I also don't have to worry about getting a newly edited version (unless there were problems with the original version to begin with), nor do I have to worry about wether B&N still has rights to those eBooks I have archived (this may be an issue in the coming months, so Buyer Beware).  If I change devices, I can move my SD card over to the new device without any real problems.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
New User
jBeard
0 Kudos

When I connect the Nook to my Laptop the Nook Storage comes up as a drive letter E: and teh SD Card comes up with Drive F:. So it is easy to move a Book file form one to the other. The Problem is that the files are non descrip. So I have no way of knowing which book I am moving. It is possible to open each one ot determine the file name for each book, but this is a slow process.
Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

There is a hack to redirect B&N storage to the SD card on the NST (no root needed):

http://nookworks.blogspot.nl/2012/05/fat-glowworm-using-your-sd-card-as.html

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

@jBeard,

If you download Nook for PC, and then download your ebooks though that reader, the actual name of each ebook is stored in a file in My Documents/My Barnes & Noble ebooks/folder with your email address. Makes transferring over less time consuming. 

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Reader
MyNookInHand
0 Kudos

often there are books that I download that i haven't read yet so I have them stored on the nook but would rather store them to the SD Card. I read a lot so I hate to not have a bunch of options to read depending on the mood I am in. Hence the Card.