Reader
AlisaAAM
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Transfering books between Nooks

Okay, I've read all the threads and spent hours on this.  I'm pretty computer savy so have no idea how this isn't working, but it isn't.

My husband and I both have Nook second editions.  We have different B&N user names.  He has a book on his Nook, downloaded from B&N, that I want to transfer to mine.  HOW?  (If it matter, he has a Mac and I have a PC.)  The book in question, because of his Mac, is a .pbd file type.

Can I do this without using third party software?

I have downloaded Nook for PC.  I can get the book in question to appear on Nook for PC and read it there after entering his name and credit card number, but I cannot get it to my Nook!  I can see it under "my stuff".  When I go to file sharing, I can transfer the book from Desktop to Nook, but after unplugging, I still don't see it on the Nook.  There IS, under "My Files" on the Nook, a file with the correct name, but it is listed as an "unrecognizable file type." 

Thoughts?  Am I making this too hard somehow?

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

Re: Transfering books between Nooks

Unfortunately Nook for PC copies books to the Digital Editions folder on your nook. Books in the Digital Editions folder only show up in the My Files filter. To get the book to display in the All and Books filter you have to move the ebook to the My Files\Book folder.

B&N no longer supports PDB file types on their devices. In the past most books were delivered in EPUB format but a few were still in PDB format. B&N should only be delivering EPUB formats at this point.

Other than calling customer support;

1. In the book options on Nook for PC select Remove Local Copy, download it again and see if you get an EPUB version this time.
    2. Try installing Nook Study to see if that app. downloads an EPUB version. I know this was a work-around for the Mac o/s a while back to get a download in EPUB rather than PDB format.

Ebooks downloaded to Windows for both applications are stored in the User\Documents\My Barnes & Noble eBooks\email_address folder. You have to use drag and drop from your computer to the nook the last time I looked at Nook Study.

If you do wind up calling customer support, give them your husbands account information because his account made the purchase. Explain that Nook for PC is downloading a PDB format rather than an EBUP.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

AlisaAAM wrote:

Okay, I've read all the threads and spent hours on this.  I'm pretty computer savy so have no idea how this isn't working, but it isn't.

My husband and I both have Nook second editions.  We have different B&N user names.  He has a book on his Nook, downloaded from B&N, that I want to transfer to mine.  HOW?  (If it matter, he has a Mac and I have a PC.)  The book in question, because of his Mac, is a .pbd file type.

Can I do this without using third party software?

I have downloaded Nook for PC.  I can get the book in question to appear on Nook for PC and read it there after entering his name and credit card number, but I cannot get it to my Nook!  I can see it under "my stuff".  When I go to file sharing, I can transfer the book from Desktop to Nook, but after unplugging, I still don't see it on the Nook.  There IS, under "My Files" on the Nook, a file with the correct name, but it is listed as an "unrecognizable file type." 

Thoughts?  Am I making this too hard somehow?

Also, if your Husband downloads and installs Nook for Mac on his computer that program will download .epub files instead of .pdb files.

Reader
AlisaAAM
0 Kudos

This doesn't make sense to me.  After all, the book is a .pbd on my husband's Nook.  So why can HE read it but I can't?

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

Did you perhaps download the book from the B&N website? In that case there will be two dots in the filename, because of this the Nook cannot recognize the ".epub" extenion. Remove the first dot so that only the ".epub" extension is left, and the Nook will recognize the file type.

Or download the book using Nook for PC or Nook for Mac, and use the book downloaded by the program.

The Nook will always download an epub file using Wifi (syncing with your account).

If you use Nook for PC or Nook for Mac the book downloaded by the program will always be epub.

If you download a book from the B&N website you will get epub on the PC and (it seems still) pdb on the Mac.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

AlisaAAM wrote:

This doesn't make sense to me.  After all, the book is a .pbd on my husband's Nook.  So why can HE read it but I can't?

If he synced directly from bn.com, it came into his NOOK as an .epub.

Macs download  .pdbs when you hit the "Download" button at bn.com, for some ridiculous (non) reason.  The NOOK for Mac software downloads .epub, so if it's on his Mac through NOOK for Mac, you should be able to sideload it if you make sure that it's filename.epub NOT filename.v2.epub...

It all definitely doesn't make sense, but this is the way it (doesn't) works...