New User
mentalmarriott88
0 Kudos

Two Serial numbers and a void warranty

I got my new nook simple touch yesterday and followed instructions about charging it. After 5ish hours on mains charge it would not switch on and the light was constantly green. I looked online and found various combinations of buttons to press but to no avail.

I then found several people who had the same problem who said removing battery and discharging works but voids warranty. So thinking that would work I tried that, still nothing. I then noticed that there was another sticker under the current on on the board with the Mac address and serial number. After peeling it back I discovered another similar sticker with a different serial number.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice as to what I can do?

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Re: Two Serial numbers and a void warranty

What you should have done is called CS or gone to a local B&N if that's a possibility.  They'd have replaced the Nook with a new one. 

If you can put it back together so it doesn't look like it's been opened you may be able to do the above. 

Why would you void the warranty on a one day old device?

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
New User
mentalmarriott88
0 Kudos

I opened it up as read about few people who had similar problem and remedied it by removing battery then plugging it back in. Seemed rather straight forward so I tried it.

Unfortunately one of the black wires was not attached to the battery so had to solder that back on. I could put it back together easily but would be obvious upon opening it up that it was opened previously.

I am just wondering now if there is any drastic measures I could possibly try?

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch

I suppose since it doesn't work at this point, you could try disconnecting and reconnecting the wires to the battery. 

Pretty much anything you do, within reason, can't make the Nook work less.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
New User
mentalmarriott88
0 Kudos

Yeah I soldered the wires back on now the green light occasionally flashes orange. Do you know why?

Correspondent
Byteguy

Sadly, if it was defective before (and it might have been based on what you said), you've broken it even more and now it sounds like you're stuck.

The advice you found about the battery was for the first generation Nook and NOT the Nook Simple Touch.

In the future....

1) If something doesn't work right away, contact the seller or take it back

2) Whenever looking for instructions like this, ALWAYS, try to find one with pictures so you know it's really for YOUR item.

http://portables.about.com/od/ebookreasers/ss/Nook-Battery-Removal-How-To-Change-Battery-Of-Barnes-A...

I recently had something like this happen for my car.  Once I saw pictures, it was clear that MY model was totally different and the instructions wouldn't work.

To answer your last question....

The light is green when the nook is connected to power and the batter is fully charged.

The light is orange when the nook is connected to power and the batter is charging.