New User
SharanKhyama
0 Kudos

Unable to see the books from SD card on Power OFF and Power ON

Hi Team

Yesterday I bought new Nook Simple Touch and I have inserted microSD card. Also I have copied few ebooks to SD Card and I can read the books.

But once I Power Off my Nook simple touch... and after sometime Power On.. I could not see my books in SD card. If I go settings of SD card,  all the options are disabled.

Again If I power off and open SD card and  Re Insert then On power ON i can see my books.

I dont understand why SD card items are not showing in powe off and Power ON?

Please suggest

Thanks

Sharan

Frequent Contributor
Joydeck
0 Kudos

Re: Unable to see the books from SD card on Power OFF and Power ON

It's happened to me a dozen times over a year or so. I don't know why.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch

I suspect it's one of the following issues

1) a bad SD card

2) an improperly seated SD card

3) a bad SD card reader in your particular NST

I suspect this because you say when you go to options and check the SD card the options are all disabled, meaning the NST does not see an SD card there.

What you can do to narrow down the issues

1) Try the SD card in other devices, a computer would probably work best.  Make sure to reboot a few times to fully test if the computer has issues reading the card.

2) Eject and reseat the SD card, if your NST is showing ebooks from the SD card go in to the options and unmount the card then open the slot on the side and remove the card.  If the NST isn't reading ebooks from the card, you can just open the slot and remove the card. 

3) Try another SD card in the NST.  I doesn't need to be yours, but it should be formated for the NST so make sure any data is backed up first.

4) If none of that resolves the issue, I would try reformating your SD card via the NST and then adding books to it.  It's possible, though unlikely, that some glitch happened when the card was being formated.  You'll need to restore the books to the card after the reformat.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
New User
SharanKhyama
0 Kudos

Hi Mercury_Glitch

Thanks for the reply. The SD card which I inserted first time, NST did not ask for formating. But as per manual it says that i ask for formating.

I dont know why it did't ask for formating. Is there any way to format my SD card manually thorugh  NST?

As a temporary soln, I am not swithing off my NST, so that I can read the books till I get permanent soln.

Please suggest.

Thanks

Sharan

Inspired Wordsmith
petesnook
0 Kudos

To format the card, try this:

Settings > Device Info > SD Card. If the Format option is grayed-out, tap the Unmount option. That should make the Format option available.

Hope this helps.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

SharanKhyama wrote:

As a temporary soln, I am not swithing off my NST, so that I can read the books till I get permanent soln.

Please suggest.

Thanks

Sharan

Unless you're not going to use it for quite some time I don't know why you'd want to turn it off.  I can't think of the last time I turned mine off, it would probably be over a year ago.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

kamas716 wrote:
Unless you're not going to use it for quite some time I don't know why you'd want to turn it off.  I can't think of the last time I turned mine off, it would probably be over a year ago.

Read that twice!

The screen on your Nook Simple Touch is NOT like a computer. It does NOT draw power to hold an image; only to change what it shows.

Just put your Nook to sleep (hold town the "n" button for 5 seconds, or tap the big button on the back) when you're done.  It can sit like that for ages (in fact, you could break it open and take out the screen and it will show the same image until the end of time).

Also, avoid taking out the SD card, just use the USB cable to connect the Nook to your computer to copy files in.

New User
SharanKhyama
0 Kudos

Hi

Thanks for the soluntion. I thought to power off my NST only because of saving the battery. Now I understand that no need to swith off NST coz it consumes very less battery.

If I do not switch off my NST, no problem at all...

Thanks again

Sharan

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 517
Solutions: 40
0 Kudos