Frequent Contributor
rafalweb
0 Kudos

Universal Case for Nook Glowlight

Hi....Since BN doesn't seem to offer cases for the new Glowlight, which I just got, I've looked around and I' found this one by Case Logic.  

http://www.caselogic.com/en-us/us/products/tablet-and-ereader-cases/view-all/universal-ereader-folio...

The specs make me think that it would fit the nook NGL, even with it's rounded corners.  

Has anyone purchased this item, or heard anything?  I've been looking for reviews, but I see few, and many are faked anyway.   Thanks!

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro

Re: Universal Case for Nook Glowlight

I haven't seen that particular model. It's a clever idea. Rather than using those big ugly elastic bands at each corner, they stretch two rubber loops around the top and brace it at the bottom. I'd do a visual comparing the NGL to the Kindle they show to see if there's a big difference in the dimensions. If not, it should work. At $10, you're not risking a lot. I've read using a case for a 7 inch tablet with a similar strap for the hand, and it certainly does work, though swiping the screen one-handed can be tricky. The strap actually helps for that. The problem I see is that it's going to add a lot of bulk to your device, offsetting one of the best features. I prefer a simple slip case.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

I'm with Bobstro, the dimensions look like you may be able to use it, though you may need to tinker a bit.

I prefer a simple case.  For now I'm getting a skin from DecaglGirl, should be delivered today, hopefully UPS leaves it at the door since I'll be at work.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Contributor
Nook_User
0 Kudos

I bought my NGL a few days after if launched weeks ago.  And I'm a bit surprised that they still haven't released a proper protective case for it (aside from the clip on cover, which I do own).  While I like the rubberized white housing of the ereader, I can see how it will easily pick up scuffs and grime from unprotected use.

I have a long flight coming up next month and I'd really like to have something more robust to house my NGL in.  I asked the sales lady at my local B&N and she mentioned that the in-store flip cases for the second gen NST will work, and that's what she currently utilizes.  I'd prefer that B&N release an official case for the NGL to ensure a proper fit soon.

bobstro
0 Kudos

A slipcover might be your best solution for your upcoming flight. They can be found cheaply, and they'll fit any suitably sized device.

Frequent Contributor
rafalweb
0 Kudos

Thanks...I'm not worried about bulk.  I'm still adjusting to the lighter weight of the NGL as compared to my old NST.   I like a litle heft.

Anyway, would Kindle paperwhite cases work?  I'll take a look at that too.   Anyone here uing a paperwhite case for the new nook?

bobstro
0 Kudos

I would think most of the "universal" cases would fit. Anything specifically for a Kindle version might have mounts that won't fit a NOOK. If you have access to one, Best Buy often has a decent selection of universal cases. Take your NGL in and try 'em out to be sure.

The issue I have with flip cases isn't bulk so much as how awkward they make handling the device. One feature I liked on the model you referenced above was the hand strap, as that allows you to maintain a good grip on your reader with only a few fingers. Also consider whether you read primarily with one hand, or like to switch the device off. Some cases don't fold over cleanly, and may be considerably bulkier on one side.