Reader
Staragon
0 Kudos

Unresponsive simple touch

I been having this issue for several months now but it is getting worse.  A nook friend loaned me Hunger Games and the second book in that series.  I read both and returned them.  Apparently they came with other books attached to them like flip pix, wiggle's train adventure, another something art.  I did not buy or borrow these and they do not appear in my library on the nook or the computer.  They are not formatted to work with my nook.  My problem being is they keep coming up when I select other books from my library and then freeze the touch screen.  I have tried restoring my nook which was an adventure because when this is going on the touch screen works randomly and sometimes my nook will not power off completely.  When I finally got it back up and running these books are still there! Eventually by powering down and back I eventually get the book I want to read in the reading now section of the home screen by starting it on  my computer or android.  Several more power downs and such I can keep it on my nook.  I have tried without success to contact support once by email and then in chat but the email basically told me to power down my nook - not helpful and chat disconnected me even though he knew I was having a hard time getting it to restore.  Any ideas?

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Re: Unresponsive simple touch

I don't see those listed as books, anywhere.  Actually, they sound more like apps to me than books.  I'm not sure how you would have gotten those on your NST by accepting a LendMe book (I'm assuming you got the books through LendMe since you said you borrowed them and returned them).  And, to my knowledge, there is nothing associated with those book files.

My guess is that you somehow got a virus or something on your NST.  Have you sideloaded anything?  It seems odd that you would get a malicious program through B&N.  Typically, an intermittent nonresponsive screen is something that can be fixed by cleaning around the edges where the IR sensors are.

Perhaps erasing and deregistering the device might help since powering down doesn't seem to correct the problem.  If it is a virus, probably not.  If it's just a program that is getting hung up, maybe.

As far as CS goes, if you have access to a B&N store near you, I'd try that.  I've not had great experience with email/chat/phone CS, but the in store CS has been wonderful.

Good luck, let us know how it works out for you.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

When you say you have tried restoring your Nook, what exactly do you mean by that?

Reader
Staragon
0 Kudos

when i was in chat he told me to hold the on/off botton until the nook powers down which took several attempts but i got it.  Then he had me hit the same button and hold the right and left page buttons a scrren appears that asks do you want to erase and deregister this device.  I sad yes.  Then I had to go through setting it up like it was a bran new nook

Reader
Staragon
0 Kudos

thanks that's what i thought too.  everything i've seen says it's really difficult to get one.  I've only purchased through B & N and haven't side loaded anything.

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

Hmmm, let's think outside the box a bit....

Is there any chance you're sharing a B&N account with someone else (a friend, another member of your family)?  Any books THEY buy will show up your Nook.

Sometimes B&N adds books to your library as "recomended books" that you can view part of as a sample or lists books under The Daily like "Adams, Land, Photography" but Steve King (that's one I see right now).  Those won't open without WiFi on.

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

At this point the only suggestion I can think of is do a full system reset (which actually resets it to factory settings and even removes software updates).  Instructions are in method #2 here: http://nookdevs.com/Nook_Simple_Touch_restore_to_stock/. (You already tried method #3, which is less drastic.)

The instructions say you have to do the step six times, but most people find it's actually eight (they really, really, don't want you to do it unless you really, really mean to.)

Reader
Staragon
0 Kudos

Thank you all for all your suggestions and help.  I tried the restore to stock and it was also didn't work because the nook is not shutting down or restarting properly.  As a last resort I took it in to the B & N store near me and ask the nook guy there to take a look at it.  He agreed that I had tried everything he knew to do and recommended I call customer service and report this to them as my nook is one year and two month old, I am two month over warrenty.  So I called today and was appalled!!  The person on the phone was hostile and rude and basically told me it was my problem because my warrenty had expired,  He advised me to buy the extended warrenty next time.  As this is the third nook I have bought for myself and family and never had any problems prior to this I never expected this.  Sadly to say I do not think I will be replacing my reader with another nook

bobstro
0 Kudos

I'd call again. If I'm on the phone and the person on the other end isn't doing the job, I have no qualms about hanging up and calling back.