Frequent Contributor
ellaryk
0 Kudos

User not activated

I just downloaded an ePub book from Adobe Digital Editions to my Nook. When I touch it to open it I get an Error: User not activated.  If the Nool was not authorized to ADE it would not have allowed it to download the book.

What need to be done to fix this?

Distinguished Correspondent
gobasso
0 Kudos

Re: User not activated

Go over to the NOOK Simple Touch General Discussion or "update zaps ADE" on this message board to find instructions to fix the problem.

New User
Yon50

Follow these instructions from this post:

(The user not activated error fix is the same as ADE not seeing the NOOK fix.)

• If ADE does not “see” the Nook, try the following steps.
  1. Go to “My Computer” (or the equivalent on your PC or Mac) and click on the Nook drive.
  2. Find and delete the “.adobe-digital-editions file.
  3. Close ADE
  4. Restart ADE
  5. Your Nook should now be visible to ADE, if not
  6. Go back to the Nook drive
  7. Find the “Digital Editions” file and delete it
  8. Close ADE
  9. Restart ADE (and re-connect Nook to the computer)

10.  Nook will be visible

11.  Click “Authorize Device”

If you don't see the “.adobe-digital-editions" file on Nook drive you probably need to make it visible in Explorer/Finder.

For Windows: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-see-hidden-files-in-windows

For Mac: http://smallbusiness.chron.com/make-hidden-files-visible-finder-windows-mac-29515.html

http://appleheadlines.com/2011/08/02/three-ways-to-show-hidden-files-on-mac-os-x-lion/

Worked for me, hope it will help you as well.

Frequent Contributor
ellaryk

Thanks, that worked.

Just one suggestion: your instructions say to delete the .adobe-digital-editions and Digital Editions files but they are folders.  I assume no one has been confused by this.

Contributor
Black_Cat_Lover
0 Kudos

Thank you!!
New User
JAMnook
0 Kudos

Just wanted to add that his fix for the User not activated problem worked for me too - even though my Nook was "showing" up in ADE.  Thanks a bunch!

New User
sharpquilter
0 Kudos

this has not helped one bit.  I deleted the folder and went through the routine, loaded all the books back on my Nook and still can't open them.  I still get the 'user not activated' message.  this only happens with books i have purchased from a vendor other than B & N.  .  Books from other vendors  that worked before the latest software upgrade, no longer open.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch

sharpquilter wrote:

this has not helped one bit.  I deleted the folder and went through the routine, loaded all the books back on my Nook and still can't open them.  I still get the 'user not activated' message.  this only happens with books i have purchased from a vendor other than B & N.  .  Books from other vendors  that worked before the latest software upgrade, no longer open.

I just helped someone in my store with the User not Activated issue.

What I did was the following

1) Plug the Nook in

2) Open ADE

3) In ADE under Devices, delete the registration

4) Delete the invisible folders on the Nook 'adobe-digital-editions', and the folder Digital Editions.

5) Exit ADE and eject the Nook

6) Plug the Nook back in and then open ADE

7) In ADE under devices register your Nook

8) From ADE drag and drop your books to your Nook

Make sure that when you delete the folders that you're really deleting them, not just moving them to the trash or recycling bin.  You'll have to actually empty the trash (mac) or the recycle bin (windows). 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Bibliophile
bklvr896

sharpquilter wrote:

You state you deleted the folder, not folders, did you delete both of the folders?  You have to delete both folders for the steps to work.  I did it on mine with no problem and on my mom's just yesterday, with no problem.

New User
sharpquilter
0 Kudos

Thank-you. I missed the part where i needed to remove 2files. All in working order now,
New User
JerryIrons
0 Kudos

Mercury_Glitch your solution worked for me as well for my daughter's nook.  Thanks very much!

-Jerry

New User
quitecontraryOK
0 Kudos

this is not working for me... but I can only find the digital editions forlder on my mac. I set it to show hiddend folders/ending but I still cannot find it. =( Can anyone help?
New User
quitecontraryOK
0 Kudos

I am so frustrated. Basically this nook has been a paperweight for quite some time.

I have a mac. I have updated my digital editions. I have figured out how to see hidden files-- I am not entirely sure I have figured out how to delete the hidden files but since they disappear and are not in the trash I THINK I have done it.

I have tried over and over and over and still 'user not activated'

New User
quitecontraryOK
0 Kudos

just tried it all again just in case. not working. feeling this was my worst purchase ever.
New User
quitecontraryOK
0 Kudos

trying these steps over and over and very discouraged. =( Could I need to update my nook?

Distinguished Correspondent
gobasso

Don't know if this will help. On a Mac you have to empty the trash after you put folders into trash to really delete them. If you are only putting the folders in the trash and then ejecting your Nook from the computer you haven't deleted the folders.Put the folders in the trash, empty the trash then eject the Nook HD from the computer.

New User
quitecontraryOK
0 Kudos

thanks. definitely emptying the trash. But on the hidden files I never see them in the trash! But they  do disappear from the search. =/

New User
Shantizlnator
0 Kudos

Plug the Nook into your computer via the usb cable. You should see it appear in the ADE program on the left hand side of the screen. Drag the icon of the book into the Nook icon on the left and it will copy over. I found this is the proper way to transfer a book to the Nook and didn't get the error message afterwards.