Reply
Contributor
Fbone
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎08-30-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

[ Edited ]

ADE has just been updated to 1.8 and it supposedly supports B&N's social DRM.

 

Forgot to mention that it's only a "preview" and not a full replacement for 1.7 so it doesn't have many features yet. One is no USB export.

Contributor
Yiayia_Jan
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎07-22-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

I'm having difficulty getting ADE to see the book from my library.  I followed the library directions, which said to click here, download to PC, etc.  I thought I was downloading a .pdf or zip or something, but it's the acsm file.  Too bad I hadn't read all this BEFORE I downloaded my book.

 

At any rate, if I try and open it with ADE I get a server error:  "Error getting license
Server communication problem: E_ADEPT_REQUEST_EXPIRED"

 

If I try multiple times, I get a download in progress message.  Nothing ever downloads or shows up in ADE. 

 

I authorized my computer, but I didn't link it to the same email as my B&N account (too many emails, I was confused). 

 

Help!  Thanks!!

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
Posts: 864
Registered: ‎12-29-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

See if you can download the acsm link again. 

Frequent Contributor
geertm
Posts: 1,191
Registered: ‎02-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

Sounds like ADE cannot connect to Adobe's server. Perhaps your firewall is blocking the request.

As a test turn off your firewall and try again.

 

Distinguished Wordsmith
1katie
Posts: 262
Registered: ‎04-05-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

 


Yiayia_Jan wrote:

I'm having difficulty getting ADE to see the book from my library.  I followed the library directions, which said to click here, download to PC, etc.  I thought I was downloading a .pdf or zip or something, but it's the acsm file.  Too bad I hadn't read all this BEFORE I downloaded my book.

 

At any rate, if I try and open it with ADE I get a server error:  "Error getting license
Server communication problem: E_ADEPT_REQUEST_EXPIRED"

 

If I try multiple times, I get a download in progress message.  Nothing ever downloads or shows up in ADE. 

 

I authorized my computer, but I didn't link it to the same email as my B&N account (too many emails, I was confused). 

 

Help!  Thanks!!


http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Technical-Support/Using-Adobe-Digital-Editions-ADE-Libra...

 

This should get you up and running.  BTW.  You don't have to use the same email as your B&N, but you can if you choose.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Contributor
Yiayia_Jan
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎07-22-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

I don't know how - it's disappeared from my hold list.  This happened right before I went on vacation and I thought I had a download error, so when we returned, I reserved the book again.  I had to wait quite some time for it to become available.  I'm not sure I can 'return' it if I don't have it - I'd still have to wait for it. 

 

Why am I getting the licensing/server communication error?  Is that not key to what's going on?

Contributor
Yiayia_Jan
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎07-22-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

I didn't see geertm's response.  I'll try turning off my firewall.  Thanks!

Correspondent
LadyTessie
Posts: 134
Registered: ‎04-13-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

Thank you so much, FrogAlum! I got my nook classic in December 2009 and nook color earlier this year believing that the borrowing from libraries is a primo feature of nook. It seemed so complicated to me and my local library wasn't offering ebooks. I know I could have worked around that but it was the perfect excuse to avoid the complicated process of downloading/authorizing/sideloading etc. I recently discovered from my BN nook expert that our local library joined Overdrive so I no longer had my scaredy cat excuse! Oh my! What was I to do? I decided to give it a go and see what happened.

 

So fabulously easy! What a pleasant surprise. I'm so pleased to now be able to add the library's selections to all the freebies BN offers.

 

Thanks again, Froggie - great step by step instructions.

 

Terry

Contributor
Yiayia_Jan
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎07-22-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

I opened ADE, turned off my firewall and tried opening the file.  I still get the same message "Error getting license Server communication problem: E_ADEPT_REQUEST_EXPIRED".  When I close ADE and open it again, I get the message that pneding files are downloading, do I want to continue.  If I click Yes, it's back to the server communication problem.  What a royal pain!

Frequent Contributor
geertm
Posts: 1,191
Registered: ‎02-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.


Yiayia_Jan wrote:

I opened ADE, turned off my firewall and tried opening the file.  I still get the same message "Error getting license Server communication problem: E_ADEPT_REQUEST_EXPIRED".  When I close ADE and open it again, I get the message that pneding files are downloading, do I want to continue.  If I click Yes, it's back to the server communication problem.  What a royal pain!


According to Abobe the error message is caused by the time/date of your system.

See the following link:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/403/kb403936.html

 

 

Contributor
chloe_madison
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎02-25-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

I did what you said and now the nook icon has disappeared from ADE and I can't get it back! I dragged and dropped my book files into the nook slot before it disappeared and then tried to see them on my nook. They weren't there so I tried it again and ADE told me that they were there... what do I do now??

Please help!

Bibliophile
bklvr896
Posts: 4,800
Registered: ‎12-31-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.


chloe_madison wrote:

I did what you said and now the nook icon has disappeared from ADE and I can't get it back! I dragged and dropped my book files into the nook slot before it disappeared and then tried to see them on my nook. They weren't there so I tried it again and ADE told me that they were there... what do I do now??

Please help!


Who are you referring to when you say "I did what you said".  Until we know what you did, it will be hard to offer any suggestions.

Correspondent
Byteguy
Posts: 608
Registered: ‎06-10-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

I'd bet money that "E_ADEPT_REQUEST_EXPIRED" tells you what you need to know.


Those links are keys to unlock and receive a file.  They only last for a short time (I thought I read somewhere that it's as little as 30 minutes).   You keep trying to use a key that you saved ages ago.  It's dead now.  Just like if you reserved a physical book and waited two weeks to come and pick it up; they figured you weren't showing up and put it back on the shelf.

 

I would suggest you go back to the library site and attempt to check out ANY OTHER book that's available.  Check that out and see if you can get the epub.  That will prove if you have ADE setup correclty.  Stop trying to make a dead-key work.

Contributor
Tuffy13
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎07-08-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

Do these directions also apply to the 2nd generation Nook? The ADE shows up on my Nook but when I click on the book to read it it says that the Nook does not allow the format. I have done everything in your directions multiple times to no prevail. I am very frustrated please help!!  :smileywink:

Thanks, Mindy 

New User
jayy20
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎07-29-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

i have done all this several times and i still have no luck at all. what do i do? please help

Bibliophile
bklvr896
Posts: 4,800
Registered: ‎12-31-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.


jayy20 wrote:

i have done all this several times and i still have no luck at all. what do i do? please help


You have done all of what several times and what problem are you experiencing.  We need much more detailed information to provide any type of suggestions, including what exactly is or isn't happening, which Nook are you using, what type of computer and operating systems.  If you get an error message, the exact error message.  Things like that.

Reader 2
alittlesenough
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎01-21-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

[ Edited ]

Hello!

 

So, I'm having a problem similar to everyone else's but nothing that I've tried to do seems to work.

 

I'm trying to read library books on my nook using ADE, and though both my nook and my computer are authorized to ADE, when I try to read the books on my nook, I'm getting the "Use not Activated" message.

 

What should I do?

 

Thanks so much for any and all help!

 

ps -- Sorry if this is a question that's already been asked, I've been searching the thread for ages and haven't found an answer. So thanks again!

Bibliophile
bklvr896
Posts: 4,800
Registered: ‎12-31-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.


alittlesenough wrote:

Hello!

 

So, I'm having a problem similar to everyone else's but nothing that I've tried to do seems to work.

 

I'm trying to read library books on my nook using ADE, and though both my nook and my computer are authorized to ADE, when I try to read the books on my nook, I'm getting the "Use not Activated" message.

 

What should I do?

 

Thanks so much for any and all help!

 

ps -- Sorry if this is a question that's already been asked, I've been searching the thread for ages and haven't found an answer. So thanks again!


If you search the boards for "User Not Activated", not "Use Not Activated" you should get a number of hits, one of which should provide you with the solution.  I don't remember the exact solution and I've got the leave soon so I don't have time to look for right now.

Contributor
grateful65
Posts: 10
Registered: ‎05-06-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

I got some advice earlier today - but I still can't open my library book. The books show up on my computer in the ADE screen, I drag them onto Nook, and they show up on my Nook, but when I try to open it says "user not activated" I went through the process again - ADE or Nook did not prompt me to "authorize device" as noted in previous help post, and I can't see a way to force it - help!

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
Posts: 3,334
Registered: ‎09-29-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

When you get the "User not activated" message, you need to use Windows Explorer to delete the following two folders from your NOOK.

  1. My Digital Editions
  2. .adobe-digital-editions    <---  Note the dot.

 

icebike explains why this fixes the issue in this post.

 

If you are using a Mac, you will need to show hidden files, as described in the article that very-simple refers to here.

 

After you've done this, ADE should prompt you to authorize your NOOK and then you should be able to transfer and read your other vendor/public library ebooks.