Contributor
Yiayia_Jan
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

Thanks to all who helped with my "E_ADEPT_REQUEST_EXPIRED" error.  I went back to the library site, found where the book was checked out and was able to download it to ADE.  Yes, they only hold them for 3 days and that time had passed.  However, I must have done something right the first time because the book, although not in my holding area where I expected it, was checked out to me.  The librarian helped me to get it activated.

Thanks again, everyone.  You pointed me in the right direction!

New User
Milkman00
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

Sorry to ask this, but I haven't read this whole thread.

The ability to download eBooks from your library and sideloading through ADE seems to be the way to do this since it was released.  I haven't found any recent answers to this question (which I Googled), so I figured I would ask here.

Is there any way to download books from ADE through Wi-Fi yet???  3G would be ok too, but I know that is extremely doubtful.

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

No, no way to do it over wi-fi or 3g because the files have to go through the Adobe software to control the digital-rights.

New User
Milkman00
0 Kudos

I don't see why they can't do it over Wi-fi, since I think the DRM is setup when the file is side loaded on to the nook.  If I am on the same network, and my nook is already "paired" with my ADE account, I really don't get the problem.

B&N does it with their DRM and the "Lend Me" feature (on all 4 books that offer it).

Anyway I was just seeing if there was any evolution in this configuration.  Thanks for the reply.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Milkman00 wrote:

I don't see why they can't do it over Wi-fi, since I think the DRM is setup when the file is side loaded on to the nook.  If I am on the same network, and my nook is already "paired" with my ADE account, I really don't get the problem.

B&N does it with their DRM and the "Lend Me" feature (on all 4 books that offer it).

Anyway I was just seeing if there was any evolution in this configuration.  Thanks for the reply.

What you download from the library, isn't the book file, it's a .acsm file which tells ADE which server to go and grab the book from.  Since it's not the actual book file, downloading it directly to the Nook wouldn't do any good.  You'd still need ADE to be able to go to the overdrive server and find and load the book.  If they could develop and application that could be installed on the Nook that could do all that, that would be great, and it may come in the future, but for right now, you need to sideload through ADE.  Also, it's not just the DRM it has to get, but also the expiration date on the book.

New User
QueenyNY
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library eBooks and non B&N eBooks

HALLELUJAH!!!  THOUGHTI I'D NEVER GET THERE.  THANK YOU FROGALUM.  YOU ROCK

New User
shelleyl
0 Kudos

I am able to get a library book on my nook but when I try to open the book, it won't open.  I get the message "sorry, unable to open book."  Any ideas?

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

shelleyl wrote:

I am able to get a library book on my nook but when I try to open the book, it won't open.  I get the message "sorry, unable to open book."  Any ideas?

Delete it and download it again from overdrive.

New User
shelleyl
0 Kudos

Thanks it worked!!

New User
eLearner
0 Kudos

I have done all mentioned, however I still continue to get a message that says "Document is licensed to a different user account".

I changed my BN log in to be the same email address as Adobe, but didn't help.

The Adobe digital editoins is brand new on my computer, not sure how it could be confused with another acct setting?

frustrated...

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

eLearner wrote:

I have done all mentioned, however I still continue to get a message that says "Document is licensed to a different user account".

The Adobe digital editoins is brand new on my computer, not sure how it could be confused with another acct setting?

frustrated...

delete the .adobe-digital-editions folder and the digatal editions folder and reregister your Nook.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

eLearner wrote:

frustrated...

If you are getting this message while in ADE and you have connected your Nook, click Ok and go past it.  I get this message all the time, it's ADE trying to read the B&N books on my Nook, which it can't.

If you're getting it when trying to open a book in ADE from another source, then follow the instructions given by the PP.

Contributor
Tuffy13
0 Kudos

I uninstalled adobe digital editions from my computer then reinstalled it. And for some reason after unconnecting & reconnecting my nook a couple times it finally recognized it. Yes, its very frustrating but finally it works.

Contributor
chloe_madison
0 Kudos

Yes, very frustrating. I have tried everything. Nothing works. I would like to take it to a barnes and noble and tell them to fix it but I don't think they will as I believe the problem lies in ADE, not my nook.

New User
CarolineFR
0 Kudos

This sounds very helpful. But my problem is when I try to download ADE, I get a message that says 'Sorry, but your system does not meet the minimum system requirements.' Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

CarolineFR wrote:

This sounds very helpful. But my problem is when I try to download ADE, I get a message that says 'Sorry, but your system does not meet the minimum system requirements.' Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks

Look at the minimum system requirements for ADE and match them against your computer. If your computer doesn't meet the minimum then you would have to upgrade. Check to make sure you have enough memory.

Reader 2
warriormomma2
0 Kudos

Holy, thank you so much. I was completely stumped as to hy i couldnt get my b&n nook books onto ADE. I was so frustrated, now I see it wasnt an issue with my nook/computer or my brain lol. thanks a bunch.  

New User
mdg53
0 Kudos

I have the same problem as sigUT where I get the error message: "No permission to copy document here" when trying to move a library book in ADE into the Nook Color.  I've spoken to two people at the B&N technical support line and they were both stumped. They concluded the library book probably isn't a supported format type, but these are in ADOBE EPUB and ADOBE PDF formats. I have a call into ADE support, but thought this forum might be more helpful. I'm thinking it's a defective Nook Color reader.

Bibliophile
bklvr896

mdg53 wrote:

I have the same problem as sigUT where I get the error message: "No permission to copy document here" when trying to move a library book in ADE into the Nook Color.  I've spoken to two people at the B&N technical support line and they were both stumped. They concluded the library book probably isn't a supported format type, but these are in ADOBE EPUB and ADOBE PDF formats. I have a call into ADE support, but thought this forum might be more helpful. I'm thinking it's a defective Nook Color reader.

Have you previously been able to copy library books to the Nook Color?  If not, did you register your NookColor when you connected it.  When you first connect the device, you should be asked to authorize the Nook.

If you are not given the chance to authorize the nook it might mean you have to remove the directory named .adobe_digital_editions  (yes, it has a leading dot in the name).

• Make sure ADE is closed and plug your Nook in to your computer.
  • In Windows Explorer, look at the folders on your Nook and delete the one named .adobe_digital_editions (it may ask if you want to permanently delete it --yes, you do).
  • Go to My Computer, right-click the Nook drive, choose Eject, and then unplug your Nook.
  • Open Adobe Digital Editions.
  • Plug your Nook back in to your computer.
ADE should now ask if you want to authorize your Nook.  Once your Nook is authorized, you should be able to copy your ebooks to it.
If this doesn't help, try this thread, it has some other information in it.
Also, try searching the forums and or Google for "No permission to copy document here".  There are other discussions on this topic.
New User
mdg53
0 Kudos

I have not previously been able to copy a library book. I've always been able to authorize my computer and Nook to ADE. But just to get a clean start, I went into the Nook to erase and deregister my Nook and also deleted ADE so I could start all over again. I reinstalled ADE, authorized my computer and downloaded the library book into ADE. I connected the Nook and authorized it.  Still unsuccessful sideloading a library book and got the same error message: "No permission to copy document here."  I then tried to remove the directory .adobe_digital_editions from the Nook.  Was not able to do so...received error message: "Cannot delete device: Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-prorected and that the file is not currently in use."  I made sure ADE was not open. I did search through the forums in Google, but still no luck. Anything else you can think of?