New User
I_FIX_THINGS_
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

Great suggestions IF you own a computer...which in this day & age is rendered obsolete with smartphones, tablets & other wi-fi devices.  How can I read .ACSM files on my Nook, if I don't own a computer to use for transferring books from the computer to the Nook??

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

I_FIX_THINGS_ wrote:

How can I read .ACSM files on my Nook, if I don't own a computer to use for transferring books from the computer to the Nook??

Nobody can read .acsm files.  They're not the ebooks.  They're just files that manage the ebook download.

And you can't read non B&N direct-downloaded books on any of the eink NOOKs without using a computer to sideload them.  B&N doesn't make a secret of this fact.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

I_FIX_THINGS_ wrote:

Great suggestions IF you own a computer...which in this day & age is rendered obsolete with smartphones, tablets & other wi-fi devices.  How can I read .ACSM files on my Nook, if I don't own a computer to use for transferring books from the computer to the Nook??

LOL.

The .acsm file is used with ADE on a COMPUTER to tell ADE what book you bought, so that it can download it to your COMPUTER and link it to your ADE account.  The file that ADE will download is the .epub that you can then transfer to your nook.  However, to open this file on your nook you'll need to initialize your nook with ADE by connecting it to your COMPUTER.  You'll also need a COMPUTER to set up an ADE account before you start this whole process.

Maybe not so obsolete, eh?

You'll probably want to borrow a computer for this, but ADE is an app that has to download to the machine, so you'll need to borrow one that will let you do that (I don't think public use machines will work), and get the person's permission.

Or you can buy all your books from B&N.  The other option is to get a kindle, which downloads books from the library automatically, and doesn't let you read books from any other stores besides the kindle store.

New User
Runner_Mom
0 Kudos

EXTREEMELY helpful!! Thank You!!!

Reader 4
Reader42AS
0 Kudos

I have been using the ADE for some time to download library books and it works fine.  But I have never been able to download audiobooks.The books download to my library account fine, they justwill not download to the ADE program on my computer. Do I have to have a different program for audiobooks?

42AS
Bibliophile
bklvr896

Reader42AS wrote:

I have been using the ADE for some time to download library books and it works fine.  But I have never been able to download audiobooks.The books download to my library account fine, they justwill not download to the ADE program on my computer. Do I have to have a different program for audiobooks?

Yes, I believe you need the overdrive media console fr your computer.  ADE is for ebooks.

New User
djriss
0 Kudos

I could not get my Nook HD + to sync with Adobe Digital Editions, so I followed the above instructions, and deleted the adobe file from the nook drive on my PC (running vista). When I restarted ADE, the nook still didn't show up, so I went back to the above instructions, which claim that the adobe file will be back, however, it hasn't reappeared on the nook drive, and now I still can't sync the device to ADE. What should I do now????
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

The Nook HD and HD+ use either Overdrive app or 3M app to get books from the library.

Both are available for free from the app store on your Nook.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
New User
mrs2house
0 Kudos

Both my computer and nook are authorized.  I have borrowed and read many books from my public library with no problem up until now.  I downloaded two books and put them on my nook.  When I click on one of the books it says "Error Dialog: user not activated."  Please help

New User
short84
0 Kudos

when i try to download from library i get no permission to copy,why?,it has always worked before,please answer

Frequent Contributor
Davan
0 Kudos

This is a restriction put on the book by the publishers.  Not much you can do about it, except to contact themand let them know you are displeased.  Be nice, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

New User
Wyethwhynot
0 Kudos

Thanks SO much for the detailed, step by step instructions!  They were perfect for a novice and best of all it worked!!

New User
alcs13
0 Kudos

Just got the Nook HD and I can't get ADE to recognize the device.  I have tried any number of suggestions from the web, B&N community, etc. without luck.  I have restored my Nook to factory settings on a number of occasions, uninstalled ADE and reinstalled with the same username and password as the Nook. Any other ideas would be appreciated. Please Help! 

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

alcs13 wrote:

Just got the Nook HD and I can't get ADE to recognize the device.  I have tried any number of suggestions from the web, B&N community, etc. without luck.  I have restored my Nook to factory settings on a number of occasions, uninstalled ADE and reinstalled with the same username and password as the Nook. Any other ideas would be appreciated. Please Help! 

The Nook HD works differently than previous Nooks and ade on your computer will not recognize the Nook HD.  You need to go into the settings on the Nook HD and activate your ADE accoufruit here.  Then I believe that you can drag and drop books from your computer to the Nook without using ADE, but I'm not sure as I haven't tried it yet, however I know it's been discussed here.  Hopefully someone who has more information will see your post and provide more details.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

As long as they are books that you have purchased (Sony, kobo), you can copy the epub file to your HD device and it will work (once your ADE account has been activated.) You dont have to copy it using ADE on the pc.  

BUT, if its a library book, think you still have to use ADE on pc to transfer because of the ascm file. (Havent tried it but have seen people discussing problems with it, mainly that their books have ecpired, when they havent.) For library books, try Overdrive, downlad directly to device.(Need to sign authorize ADEwithin the app as well.)

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 519
Solutions: 41
0 Kudos

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

You can get the Aldiko app for the HD+.  It will allow you to borow books directly from the library.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

BFCoughlin wrote:

You can get the Aldiko app for the HD+.  It will allow you to borow books directly from the library.

This is the eInk device forum. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

I recognized that.  I was repsonding to the following statement.  I should have quoted it first.

"As long as they are books that you have purchased (Sony, kobo), you can copy the epub file to your HD device and it will work (once your ADE account has been activated.) You dont have to copy it using ADE on the pc." 

New User
4girlsTS
0 Kudos

Can I do audio books with ADE?