Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
Accepted Solution

Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

[ Edited ]

This is ADE from A to Z... The most common problems are addressed here and should take care of almost anything that has been reported as a problem in the past. Please forgive the formatting, I did this in Word and these message boards don't allow for a multi-level outline with much grace at all...

Note to other "power users"  I know there are shortcuts for some of this, I intentionally left them out, I'm trying to keep this simple.  :smileyhappy:

• While you are at the ADE website, register if you do not already have an Adobe account.
    • Your Adobe registration does not have to be the same user name and password that you use for your B&N account, many do use the same logon information to make it easier to remember both.

Setup ADE on your computer

• Open ADE and the “Setup Assistant” will be displayed
  • Click “Continue”
  • The “Authorize Computer” box will display
  • Enter your Adobe account information
  • Click “Activate”
  • Click “Finish”

Authorize ADE on your Nook

• Connect the Nook to your computer via the USB cable
  • Open ADE
  • ADE should “see” the Nook and the “Device Setup Assistant” box should appear.
  • Click “Authorize Device”

• If ADE does not “see” the Nook, try the following steps.
  1. Go to “My Computer” (or the equivalent on your PC or Mac) and click on the Nook drive.
  2. Find and delete the “.adobe-digital-editions file.
  3. Close ADE
  4. Restart ADE
  5. Your Nook should now be visible to ADE, if not
  6. Go back to the Nook drive
  7. Find the “Digital Editions” file and delete it
  8. Close ADE
  9. Restart ADE

10.  Nook will be visible

11.  Click “Authorize Device”

Downloading eBooks

• This is not a standard download like you have seen or used in the past, this download is an .acsm link.
  • After you purchase or borrow your book, click the download link or box
  • You should be asked if you want to open (do NOT choose to “save” the book) in “digital editions” click yes, if you are given the option to ALWAYS open the .acsm link in this program, choose yes or put the checkmark in the box.
  • ADE will open and your book will be downloaded into ADE

If you do not have the option to always use ADE to download the following steps will allow you to opt in for this

For Windows:

• Go to Start-->Control Panel-->Default Programs-->Associate a file type or protocol with a program
  • The “Associate a file type or protocol” window will pop up.
  • Under the “Extensions” heading, select '.acsm' and click the “Change program…” button.
  • The “Open With” dialog box is displayed.
  • Click the “Browse…” button.
  • A second “'Open With” dialog box is displayed.
  • Browse to 'C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Digital Editions and select 'digitaleditions.exe'.
  • Click “Open”.  Adobe Digital Editions is now set to open ACSM files automatically

For a Mac

• Control-click the 'urllink.acsm' file and select 'Get Info'.
  • The 'urllink.acsm Info' window is displayed.
  • Expand the 'Open with:' section and click 'Other…'.
  • A list of programs is displayed.
  • Select 'Adobe Digital Editions'.
  • Check the 'Always Open With' checkbox.
  • Click the 'Add' button.
  • Close the 'urllink.acsm Info' window.
  • Adobe Digital Editions is now set to open ACSM files.

How Do I Get the Book on my Nook?

Once everything is downloaded, installed and authorized, this is the easy part!  Just "grab" the book (that you have previously purchased or borrowed and downloaded into ADE) you want to copy to your Nook, drag it over to the "Nook" (on the left hand side of ADE) and drop it in!

I want to return my library book early, how can I do this?

Beside the book (highlight it in ADE) you will see an arrow, click on the arrow, one of the options is to return the book.

When I plug my Nook into ADE, I have error messages and some of my books don't show their covers, it's just a black box!

While Barnes and Noble eBooks are in the epub format, they have a special DRM (copyright protection) that most other epub books do not use, Apple is the only other exception that I know of.  So your B&N eBooks cannot be read in ADE, or on a Sony or Kobo eReader (for instance) while your library books and anything you have purchased through Sony, Kobo, Borders, etc can be seen and read in ADE on your computer.

Don't worry, this doesn't mean anything is wrong with your eBooks from B&N, they just aren't compatible with ADE.  All versions of epub, except the Apple iBooks eBooks, are compatible with your Nook.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

Nice work, Frog! :smileyvery-happy:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Frequent Contributor
reedfam

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

Thank you Thank you Thank you Frog!!! I was going crazy trying to figure out why I couldn't get my Borders books into ADE. You helped save what is left of my sanity! (Which isn't a whole lot!)

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum

I knew I forgot something:

Adding Sony eBooks to ADE

• Open ADE
  • Up on the top left hand side, next to the word "Library" is a down arrow, click it
  • Choose the option to "Add Item to Library"
  • A search box will pop up
  • Browse for the location on your hard drive where your Sony eBooks download, if you have not changed the default, this will be in your "My Documents" folder.
  1. Go to your "user name"
  2. Go to "My Documents"
  3. Go to "My Books"
  4. Go to "Reader Library"
  5. You will find all your Sony eBooks in the "Reader Library" as long as you didn't choose to change the default location when you installed the Sony eStore software.
  • Select the book you want in ADE
  • Click "Open"
  • Your book(s) are now in ADE and ready to be dragged and dropped onto your Nook.
Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library eBooks and non B&N eBooks

[ Edited ]

This is ADE from A to Z... The most common problems are addressed here and should take care of almost anything that has been reported as a problem in the past. Please forgive the formatting, I did this in Word and these message boards don't allow for a multi-level outline with much grace at all...

Note to other "power users"  I know there are shortcuts for some of this, I intentionally left them out, I'm trying to keep this simple.  :smileyhappy:

• While you are at the ADE website, register if you do not already have an Adobe account.
    • Your Adobe registration does not have to be the same user name and password that you use for your B&N account, many do use the same logon information to make it easier to remember both.

Setup ADE on your computer

• Open ADE and the “Setup Assistant” will be displayed
  • Click “Continue”
  • The “Authorize Computer” box will display
  • Enter your Adobe account information
  • Click “Activate”
  • Click “Finish”

Authorize ADE on your Nook

• Connect the Nook to your computer via the USB cable
  • Open ADE
  • ADE should “see” the Nook and the “Device Setup Assistant” box should appear.
  • Click “Authorize Device”

• If ADE does not “see” the Nook, try the following steps.
  1. Go to “My Computer” (or the equivalent on your PC or Mac) and click on the Nook drive.
  2. Find and delete the “.adobe-digital-editions file.
  3. Close ADE
  4. Restart ADE
  5. Your Nook should now be visible to ADE, if not
  6. Go back to the Nook drive
  7. Find the “Digital Editions” file and delete it
  8. Close ADE
  9. Restart ADE

10.  Nook will be visible

11.  Click “Authorize Device”

Downloading eBooks

• This is not a standard download like you have seen or used in the past, this download is an .acsm link.
  • After you purchase or borrow your book, click the download link or box
  • You should be asked if you want to open (do NOT choose to “save” the book) in “digital editions” click yes, if you are given the option to ALWAYS open the .acsm link in this program, choose yes or put the checkmark in the box.
  • ADE will open and your book will be downloaded into ADE

If you do not have the option to always use ADE to download the following steps will allow you to opt in for this

For Windows:

• Go to Start-->Control Panel-->Default Programs-->Associate a file type or protocol with a program
  • The “Associate a file type or protocol” window will pop up.
  • Under the “Extensions” heading, select '.acsm' and click the “Change program…” button.
  • The “Open With” dialog box is displayed.
  • Click the “Browse…” button.
  • A second “'Open With” dialog box is displayed.
  • Browse to 'C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Digital Editions and select 'digitaleditions.exe'.
  • Click “Open”.  Adobe Digital Editions is now set to open ACSM files automatically

For a Mac

• Control-click the 'urllink.acsm' file and select 'Get Info'.
  • The 'urllink.acsm Info' window is displayed.
  • Expand the 'Open with:' section and click 'Other…'.
  • A list of programs is displayed.
  • Select 'Adobe Digital Editions'.
  • Check the 'Always Open With' checkbox.
  • Click the 'Add' button.
  • Close the 'urllink.acsm Info' window.
  • Adobe Digital Editions is now set to open ACSM files.

How Do I Get the Book on my Nook?

Once everything is downloaded, installed and authorized, this is the easy part!  Just "grab" the book (that you have previously purchased or borrowed and downloaded into ADE) you want to copy to your Nook, drag it over to the "Nook" (on the left hand side of ADE) and drop it in!  If you purchased books from Sony, you do have one extra step, read below...

Adding Sony eBooks to ADE

• Open ADE
  • Up on the top left hand side, next to the word "Library" is a down arrow, click it
  • Choose the option to "Add Item to Library"
  • A search box will pop up
  • Browse for the location on your hard drive where your Sony eBooks download, if you have not changed the default, this will be in your "My Documents" folder.
  1. Go to your "user name"
  2. Go to "My Documents"
  3. Go to "My Books"
  4. Go to "Reader Library"
  5. You will find all your Sony eBooks in the "Reader Library" as long as you didn't choose to change the default location when you installed the Sony eStore software.
  • Select the book you want in ADE
  • Click "Open"
  • Your book(s) are now in ADE and ready to be dragged and dropped onto your Nook.

I want to return my library book early, how can I do this?

Beside the book (highlight it in ADE) you will see an arrow, click on the arrow, one of the options is to return the book.

When I plug my Nook into ADE, I have error messages and some of my books don't show their covers, it's just a black box!

While Barnes and Noble eBooks are in the epub format, they have a special DRM (copyright protection) that most other epub books do not use, Apple is the only other exception that I know of.  So your B&N eBooks cannot be read in ADE, or on a Sony or Kobo eReader (for instance) while your library books and anything you have purchased through Sony, Kobo, Borders, etc can be seen and read in ADE on your computer.

Don't worry, this doesn't mean anything is wrong with your eBooks from B&N, they just aren't compatible with ADE.  All versions of epub, except the Apple iBooks eBooks, are compatible with your Nook.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike

[ Edited ]

BOOKMARKED...

Question:  Is Sony procedure to be used for Borders and BooksAMillion as well?  

Both those sites say you need ADE. 

Side Note:

Every time I launch ADE on my computer I am reminded what an incredible piece of SH*T it is.

Its nothing but a FLASH app, and a poorly written, unintuitive one at that.  

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

BOOKMARKED...

Question:  Is Sony procedure to be used for Borders and BooksAMillion as well?  

Both those sites say you need ADE. 

Side Note:

Every time I launch ADE on my computer I am reminded what an incredible piece of SH*T it is.

Its nothing but a FLASH app, and a poorly written, unintuitive one at that.  

Nope, everyone outside of Sony works like the library books do...  Just click the link and it will download into ADE...  Sony is different because you have to download their version of ADE to purchase from their store, their version does not recognize the Nook though...  Everything that can be purchased/borrowed directly from a website works with the direct to ADE download.

ADE isn't the best thing they could have done, but I don't find much from Adobe that IS intuitive...

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

@ FrogAlum,

Thanks!  This is great info.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Frequent Contributor
Beckah
0 Kudos

The library books I borrowed and read are no longer in ADE but they're on my Nook. How do I remove the expired library books from the Nook?

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Beckah wrote:

The library books I borrowed and read are no longer in ADE but they're on my Nook. How do I remove the expired library books from the Nook?

Connect it to the computer, go to the Nook drive, find the books and delete.  You can't delete directly on the Nook.

New User
oneputtSC
0 Kudos

Does Calibre work to download library books, etc.  Anyone tried this program? 

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

oneputtSC wrote:

Does Calibre work to download library books, etc.  Anyone tried this program? 

Plenty of people use Calibre.  Do a search of this forum for posts about it.  As for library books, I think you have to use ADE.

Inspired Wordsmith
BrandieC
0 Kudos

OK, Frog, in the event that you're bored again at 1:00 a.m. tonight, maybe you can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I have ADE installed.  I also have Reader Library, which is how I get eBooks from Sony, and I have had no problems adding eBooks from Reader Library to ADE and then moving them to my nook.

Today, for the first time, I bought an eBook from Borders.  (Your fault, there, after posting that coupon code :smileyhappy:; even though I couldn't get the code to work, my complaint to Borders Customer Care resulted in a $5 Borders Bucks credit, and the eBook order did let me use the Borders Bucks, so I actually came out better in the end.)  When I went to download the eBook from Borders, I told it that I had the ADE app already installed.  When it asked me whether to open or save, I clicked open, but it didn't ask me anything about what program to open it with, and it didn't go straight to ADE.  Instead, it opened the Reader Library and tried to install it there.  After Reader Library crashed three or four times, it did successfully download to the Reader Library, and from there, I was able to add it to ADE and move it to the nook as I usually do with eBooks from Sony.

Your post seems to indicate that I should be able to go straight from the Borders download to ADE without using Reader Library.  What am I doing wrong (and remember, I'm technologically challenged)?

Frequent Contributor
jdarnold
0 Kudos

No, calibre won't work for downloading books from the library, as they have DRM (Digital Rights Management - may it forever burn in hot aether), which requires ADE.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

BrandieC wrote:

OK, Frog, in the event that you're bored again at 1:00 a.m. tonight, maybe you can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I have ADE installed.  I also have Reader Library, which is how I get eBooks from Sony, and I have had no problems adding eBooks from Reader Library to ADE and then moving them to my nook.

Today, for the first time, I bought an eBook from Borders.  (Your fault, there, after posting that coupon code :smileyhappy:; even though I couldn't get the code to work, my complaint to Borders Customer Care resulted in a $5 Borders Bucks credit, and the eBook order did let me use the Borders Bucks, so I actually came out better in the end.)  When I went to download the eBook from Borders, I told it that I had the ADE app already installed.  When it asked me whether to open or save, I clicked open, but it didn't ask me anything about what program to open it with, and it didn't go straight to ADE.  Instead, it opened the Reader Library and tried to install it there.  After Reader Library crashed three or four times, it did successfully download to the Reader Library, and from there, I was able to add it to ADE and move it to the nook as I usually do with eBooks from Sony.

Your post seems to indicate that I should be able to go straight from the Borders download to ADE without using Reader Library.  What am I doing wrong (and remember, I'm technologically challenged)?

LOL  Good for you!

To fix the problem...

Click the link for the ADE post in my sig and go to the section that describes how to set the default for ADE on your computer.  Your default is set to the Sony Reader instead of ADE....

Good luck!

Inspired Wordsmith
BrandieC
0 Kudos

@FrogAlum

You're determined to make me more technologically adept, aren't you :smileyhappy:?  Apparently, the instructions in your signature work for Windows 7 and Windows Vista, but I'm using Windows XP, and there is no Default Programs option from the Control Panel.

BUT, not to be deterred, I was able to use your instructions as the basis for a web search and figured out how to do it for Windows XP.  For any other XP users out there, you go to Control Panel, but then select Tools, Folder Options, File Types.  Scroll down to the ACSM file type; when you select it, the details will come up at the bottom of the window with an option to change the program used to open those files.  Then you can select ADE as the default program.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

BrandieC wrote:

@FrogAlum

You're determined to make me more technologically adept, aren't you :smileyhappy:?  Apparently, the instructions in your signature work for Windows 7 and Windows Vista, but I'm using Windows XP, and there is no Default Programs option from the Control Panel.

BUT, not to be deterred, I was able to use your instructions as the basis for a web search and figured out how to do it for Windows XP.  For any other XP users out there, you go to Control Panel, but then select Tools, Folder Options, File Types.  Scroll down to the ACSM file type; when you select it, the details will come up at the bottom of the window with an option to change the program used to open those files.  Then you can select ADE as the default program.

Ahhhhh, my little girl is growning up!  :smileywink:

So it works now?  Great!

Reader 2
Edavis
0 Kudos

I downloaded ADE and it is recognizing my Nook.  I downloaded a libray book in Epub.  I can drag the book to my Nook in ADE but it's not showing up in my Nook library.  So I deleted adobe-digital-editions and the digital editions files and still nothing.  Then I made sure I had the right file type ( 'C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Digital Editions and select 'digitaleditions.exe'.) and tried it again to no avail.  Again could drag to my Nook device from ADE but it's still not showing up on my Nook.  The only difference is one of the library books I downloaded shows up twice now - one way shows the cover and the author; the other as a black book with author unknown.  Now when I try and drop and drag, I can't and a red x shows up by my curser.

Not sure whiat I'm doing wrong (I'm sure it's me) but thought maybe one of the experts could guide me.  Thank you!!

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Edavis wrote:

I downloaded ADE and it is recognizing my Nook.  I downloaded a libray book in Epub.  I can drag the book to my Nook in ADE but it's not showing up in my Nook library.  So I deleted adobe-digital-editions and the digital editions files and still nothing.  Then I made sure I had the right file type ( 'C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Digital Editions and select 'digitaleditions.exe'.) and tried it again to no avail.  Again could drag to my Nook device from ADE but it's still not showing up on my Nook.  The only difference is one of the library books I downloaded shows up twice now - one way shows the cover and the author; the other as a black book with author unknown.  Now when I try and drop and drag, I can't and a red x shows up by my curser.

Not sure whiat I'm doing wrong (I'm sure it's me) but thought maybe one of the experts could guide me.  Thank you!!

Start from the beginning and follow the instructions (full post in my sig) exactly when authorizing the nook.

Are you looking for the books in your "B&N Library" or "My Documents"?  They will be in "My Documents" and you need to "check for new content."