Reader 2
Edavis
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

Thanks Frog!  You're my here - I wasn't looking in my documents.  Thanks again!

Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

ok Miss Froggie:   How do you make sure the books going through ADE go onto the Micro SD card instead of the Main memory on the Nook.   ADE shows the Nook and I can put books on the Nook but I had wanted to put them on the 8 gig card I had installed. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

@03FLHT2

ADE shows my Nook's main memory as "nook" (no capital) and my microSD card as "Nook" (with a capital), as if I had two Nooks attached.  That makes it easy:  I just drag and drop my books onto the capitalized Nook, and they end up on my microSD card.

See whether it's the same for you when your Nook is plugged in and ADE is running.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Wordsmith
h2oskierc
0 Kudos

ABthree wrote:

@03FLHT2

ADE shows my Nook's main memory as "nook" (no capital) and my microSD card as "Nook" (with a capital), as if I had two Nooks attached.  That makes it easy:  I just drag and drop my books onto the capitalized Nook, and they end up on my microSD card.

See whether it's the same for you when your Nook is plugged in and ADE is running.

Interesting, mine just shows the nook once, even though my computer shows both the nook, and the SD card I have inserted.  Did you do something special to get it to see your SD card?  I didn't have the SD card when I initially authorized my nook, is there a way to unauthorize and re-authorize without my computer thinking that there are two different nooks authorized to it?

ABthree
0 Kudos

h2oskierc

I wish I knew what I did!  LOL  I've read that others aren't seeing their microSD card separately, and if I knew how to repeat whatever it was, it might help someone.

Unfortunately, though, I don't know.  Like you, I added my microSD card later; before I added it ADE was just showing my Nook, and since I added it, ADE shows the card and the Nook internal memory separately.

-- St. Basil the Great+
Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

ABThree:

What OS are you using?  I use a mac (10.6) and it doesn't show up.  I've always assumed it's a "mac" issue.

Not that I really care.  I only load library books directly to my nook from ADE, and there aren't that many of those at a time.  Otherwise, even if I've authorized the book in ADE, I then actually add it via calibre to my SD card because I like to use calibre to manage everything sideloaded onto my nook (other than library books which are, as I said, only one or two at a time).  This seems to be working so far.  

(Note, I realize that this causes me to end up with a copy of the book on my computer in both the Digital Editions folder and the calibre folder, but I've got a ridiculous amount of space open on my hard drive, so it's not an issue in any "real" sense)

ABthree
0 Kudos

@very-simple

I use Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.  (Ordinarily I'd insert one of my anti-Apple diatribes here, but out of respect for your friendliness, I'll decline. :smileywink:)

I don't borrow library books.  I use ADE to sideload DRM books that I buy from sources other than B&N.  I use Calibre for free books from free sites, and for non-DRM books in strange formats that require conversion.  "Library Management" is not a big issue with me, and I don't like the way Calibre converts each book from a file to a folder full of files, so aside from the uses mentioned, Calibre holds no charms for me.

I'm the last one to criticize multiple copies!  I have a backup folder on my hard drive of all my B&N books, another backup folder of all my My Documents books, a second copy of both my B&N books and my My Documents books in my B&N eReader, and a THIRD copy of the books I bought from Sony in my Sony Reader.  And the same on my laptop.  I am NOT going to lose any books!  LOL

-- St. Basil the Great+
Frequent Contributor
Lynns_Nook
0 Kudos

Yippee!

Just downloaded my first library book and put it on my Nook. 

FrogAlum, thank you so much for your excellent instructions in this thread. 

Reader 2
Edavis
0 Kudos

New Problem with book I checked out from the library - after Frog helped me with the obvious (that library books download to my documents;  not my Library) here is the new problem:  I am trying to bring up my library book from my documents where I left off last night and it will go to the location where I was, stay there a few seconds and then flash back to the My Documents screen and just stay there.  I checked a book in my library to see if it did the same thing - it worked perfectly.  So I think this has something to do with the fact that it's a downloaded library book.  Very frustating as I can't read my library book.  Any idea's/suggestions?  Thanks

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm reading a library book right now and haven't had that happen but maybe someone else can say whether or not this might work.  As long as you have to book still on your computer, note the page you are on on the nook.  Delete the book from the nook and reload it.  Eject the nook after deleting, check for new content to make sure it is gone, then reconnect the nook to copy back again. 

When I just tried this with another library book, I deleted it, ejected the nook, checked for new content, the book was gone.  Then I unplugged the nook, reconnected to the computer, the books was still gone based on looking at it through the computer. When I tried to copy it back to the nook, ADE told me it was already there, it looks like it might have simply restored it, so I told it to replace the copy.  I was able to open the library book, so there doesn't seem to be a problem with deleting and reloading a library book.

I have no idea if this will work and this idea comes with no warranty against losing your library :smileysurprised:book but since archiving and unarchiving a book in My B&N LIbrary sometimes helps, it seems that maybe reloading the library book might help.

Or, try turning the nook off completely and restarting it.  I might try this one first actually.

Reader 2
Edavis
0 Kudos

Thanks BKLVA!  Your suggestion worked!!  Sure hope I don't have to do that every time I want to read a public library book.  I do not always have access to my laptop everytime I want to read on my nook.  Thanks again!

New User
ramblnrob
0 Kudos

Thank you so much for answering my burning question. I have had a hard time finding some one who could tell me if I can use library e-books on a given reader. (I know I can with a Sony but I also wanted to be able to subscribe to a magazine and/or newspaper)  I am planning on  buying an e-reader and like the idea of the 3G wi-fi but I don't always want to buy a book. Sometimes I just don't like it enough to buy it to read again. Ya know? I book marked your page for future reference. Thank you, thank you!

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

ramblnrob wrote:

Thank you so much for answering my burning question. I have had a hard time finding some one who could tell me if I can use library e-books on a given reader. (I know I can with a Sony but I also wanted to be able to subscribe to a magazine and/or newspaper)  I am planning on  buying an e-reader and like the idea of the 3G wi-fi but I don't always want to buy a book. Sometimes I just don't like it enough to buy it to read again. Ya know? I book marked your page for future reference. Thank you, thank you!

You're welcome.  :smileyhappy:

You'll find we are huge library propronents on these boards.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

I love the library feature.  I live the overdrive search page.  I'm reading The Passage right now, from the library. 

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Edavis wrote:

Thanks BKLVA!  Your suggestion worked!!  Sure hope I don't have to do that every time I want to read a public library book.  I do not always have access to my laptop everytime I want to read on my nook.  Thanks again!

Welcome!  I hope not also.  I've never experienced that problem and I've read 6-8 books from the library without a problem, so hoping you don't run into it again.

Wordsmith
h2oskierc

ABthree wrote:

@03FLHT2

To accomplish this you need to copy the two folders ADE created on your nook, called Digital Editions and .adobe-digital-editions to the root of your SD card.

Now your SD card will show up as whatever you called it when you formatted.  Mine for instance shows "nook" for my nook itself and "NookSD" for the sd card, as that is the name I gave the sd card when I formatted it before installing it to my nook.

Be sure to COPY those two folders if you want your nook's memory to show up.  If you just want the SD card, you can actually move the folders.

ENJOY! :smileyhappy:

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

h2oskierc wrote:

ABthree wrote:

@03FLHT2

To accomplish this you need to copy the two folders ADE created on your nook, called Digital Editions and .adobe-digital-editions to the root of your SD card.

Now your SD card will show up as whatever you called it when you formatted.  Mine for instance shows "nook" for my nook itself and "NookSD" for the sd card, as that is the name I gave the sd card when I formatted it before installing it to my nook.

Be sure to COPY those two folders if you want your nook's memory to show up.  If you just want the SD card, you can actually move the folders.

ENJOY! :smileyhappy:

This works!  Thank you!

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

And if you would rather have your ADE stuff only on your MicroSD card can you delete those folders from nook main memory?

Or are they needed there as well?

Not saying this is a good Idea, just asking...

Wordsmith
h2oskierc
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

icebike wrote:

And if you would rather have your ADE stuff only on your MicroSD card can you delete those folders from nook main memory?

I played around with it some, and you do not need them on the nook's main memory.  Just make sure you have both folders on the MicroSD.

If you have it on both, you can choose which on the put the book on in ADE by where you drag it to, but you do not need to have it on both.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

h2oskierc wrote:

icebike wrote:

I played around with it some, and you do not need them on the nook's main memory.  Just make sure you have both folders on the MicroSD.

If you have it on both, you can choose which on the put the book on in ADE by where you drag it to, but you do not need to have it on both.

I split mine, this way I can drag library books to the primary nook drive and all others to the SD card...  It makes it bit easier to keep track and clean out the library files...

Anyone who does this needs to be aware that you will have some cleanup work...  I showed many "missing" on both drive, the SD no longer seeing the B&N epub files and the primary drive no longer seeing the epub files other than B&N...  I had a lot of deleting to do but it is well worth it to me...

Thanks again, I'd add this to the ADE post but I don't think most of those users are ready for this...  :smileywink: