Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

@NanKR

There have been some instances where the nook, A) seems authorized, but won't open anything, or B) never appears in ADE as a book shelf nor gives you the ability to authorize it.

Many times this is due to messed up or corrupted authorization of the nook, or authorizing it on more than one computer (somehow), or it just arriving with faulty Digital Edition directories already in place.

So:  First open the book in ADE just to make double sure you got it downloaded properly.

Then, exit ADE,

Plug in your nook.

Start Windows Explorer (right mouse button click on the Start button)

Use windows Explorer to remove the book from My Documents folder on the nook.

Use windows Explorer to remove the entire folder named .adobe_digital_editions

Use windows Explorer to remove the entire folder named Digital Editions

Using Windows Explorer navigate to your C: drive (so that you are not looking at nook contents), then on left side of explorer find the nook drive, right click it and select EJECT.

Unplug nook.

Start ADE, 

Plug in nook

ADE sees nook and offers to Authorize it, go ahead and do that.

Nook appears as a book shelf in right side of ADE

Then drag the book (make sure its an epub, not an audio book) to nook.

Again, use explorer to  EJECT (not safely remove) nook

and see if you can open it again.

Contributor
NanKR
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

Hi!

It caught my eye when you said something about authorizing my nook on more than one computer.  It was authorized on my old computer before it died.  Does that mean it can never ben authorized to another computer again ever?  At this point there's no way to unauthorize it from my old computer.

Nancy

icebike wrote:

@NanKR

There have been some instances where the nook, A) seems authorized, but won't open anything, or B) never appears in ADE as a book shelf nor gives you the ability to authorize it.

Many times this is due to messed up or corrupted authorization of the nook, or authorizing it on more than one computer (somehow), or it just arriving with faulty Digital Edition directories already in place.

So:  First open the book in ADE just to make double sure you got it downloaded properly.

Then, exit ADE,

Plug in your nook.

Start Windows Explorer (right mouse button click on the Start button)

Use windows Explorer to remove the book from My Documents folder on the nook.

Use windows Explorer to remove the entire folder named .adobe_digital_editions

Use windows Explorer to remove the entire folder named Digital Editions

Using Windows Explorer navigate to your C: drive (so that you are not looking at nook contents), then on left side of explorer find the nook drive, right click it and select EJECT.

Unplug nook.

Start ADE, 

Plug in nook

ADE sees nook and offers to Authorize it, go ahead and do that.

Nook appears as a book shelf in right side of ADE

Then drag the book (make sure its an epub, not an audio book) to nook.

Again, use explorer to  EJECT (not safely remove) nook

and see if you can open it again.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Just follow the steps in my post and it should be fine. Authorized is nothing but the creation of specific files and directories on the nook, and my post documents the brute force " do over" method of unauthorize and reautherize.
Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

Thank You so much for taking the time to post these instructions. They work!

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Contributor
DinahMA44
0 Kudos

Your instructions were wonderful and I have used them to download several books from the library using Overdrive. Now I am getting an Activation error in ADE--too many activations and cannot move over the book I just downloaded to my Nook. Is there a workaround? Thanks.
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Too many activations message from ADE

DinahMA wrote:

I am getting an Activation error in ADE--too many activations

This means that Adobe has recorded six computer activations or six device authorizations on your account. They don't count "deactivating" or "deauthorizing", so if you've had some authorization problems or some replacement NOOKs, you can bump into this limit even if you only have one device. My wife and I have 3 computers and 2 NOOKs, but weirdness on Sony's end caused them to reactivate my computer repeatedly for a while, and I hit the limit twice! (In one case, NOOKstudy contributed to this.)

All you can do is to put in a trouble ticket with Adobe. It will take a couple of days to process, during which time they will "escalate" your request to a supervisor. Annoying as heck, but that's life with Adobe Digital Editions. Eventually they'll "reset your limit". They're supposed to let you know when it's done, but for me they did one time but not the other, so check back every day or so and see if you can authorize.

Don't call Adobe Support. ADE support is entirely through online trouble tickets, and it's not really obvious how to do that. Go to this page: http://www.adobe.com/go/supportportal and log in with your Adobe account. After you're logged in, go back to that page again. In the bottom half is the start of the Web trouble ticket process. Click the "Technical Support" tab if it's not already selected, choose issue type="Other", click the radio button for "Other Products", then choose "Adobe Digital Editions" from the dropdown list that appears. Click the Continue button and you're finally ready to enter your request.

Contributor
DinahMA44
0 Kudos

Re: Too many activations message from ADE

Doug,  Thanks.  I have submitted my request.  I really appreciate your detailed instructions and have referred other nook users to your documents.  Think B & N should hire you to do their documentation. 

New User
wmje
0 Kudos

Unable to find the ".adobe-digital-editions" file

Hello! First of all, thank you so much for writing out these directions! Unfortunately, I'm apparently pretty terrible at putting them to good use.

It might be worth noting that my Nook is fresh out of the box. It is authorized with my B&N account, but the only other thing I've done with it so far is to download three free ebooks from B&N.

I run Linux (Ubuntu) on my laptop; it's already authorized by ADE, has many books happily downloaded onto it, etc. When I plugged in my Nook, ADE did not recognize it. Following your instructions, I opened up the Nook drive on my computer to delete the .adobe-digital-editions file--but couldn't find it.

I then plugged the Nook into a Mac (that is not mine, and not authoized with ADE) just to see if the Mac would be able to find the .adobe-digital-editions file. No luck there, either.

What does show up in the Nook drive: "my audiobooks," "my B&N downloads," "my documents," "my music," "my screensavers," and "my wallpapers." All of them are empty except the "my B&N downloads," which contains the three free ebooks I've already downloaded.

I must be blind--is there somewhere I'm not looking that I should be? I've peformed a search of the Nook drive's contents (on both computers) for ".adobe-digital-editions," then "adobe," and then simply "."; nothing came up for the first two, but the "." pulled up all three of my free ebook files. Nothing else.

Any help you could offer would be appreciated! =)

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: Unable to find the ".adobe-digital-editions" file

@Wmje : : Your only bad luck was that you tried two operating systems that hide files and folders that begin with a period. So on either computer turn on the option to show hidden files. It will probably be an option on the view sub menu of your file manager.
New User
wmje
0 Kudos

@icebike: Thank you so much! You're a life saver. =)

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

"I run Linux (Ubuntu) on my laptop; it's already authorized by ADE, has many books happily downloaded onto it, etc. When I plugged in my Nook, ADE did not recognize it."

How did you install ADE on Ubuntu? If it is running using Wine, it won't detect the Nook. It has something to USB detection thru Wine.

Lack of Linux support by Adobe is certainly not a technical issue. If the small group creating Calibre can make it work on Linux, Mac & windows, surely the giant Adobe could as well.

Calibre is also better at detecting the Nook, ADE usually has to be opened after the Nook is connected to find it.

Contributor
CherylAD
0 Kudos

HELP!  this is the first thing I've experienced on my MacBookPro that has been anything other than fabulous.  *sigh* was bound to happen I guess! :smileysad:

Anyway, I'm trying to get my Nook & ADE to play nice.  I've deleted ADE and reinstalled but no joy.

I started out on a PC, so I plugged George (my Nook) into a PC and deleted the digital editions folder(s -- I had two)

When I plug in my Nook, Mac sees it just fine.  When I start ADE it starts to "see" and authorize my Nook, but then I get screen after screen of errors that books are missing- then my Nook "ejects" with an error (like I unplugged it without ejecting).

Help!!

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Have you tried deleting  ".adobe_digital_editions" folder from NOOK?

I believe that in OSX you have to show hidden items to see any folders that begin with a dot.

If you have, I don't have any suggestions.  If you haven't, try doing that, rebooting everything and starting the ADE process again.

Reader
ninakay6765
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library eBooks and non B&N eBooks

I have tried to authorize by nook with ADE but keep getting a message that says too many activations and another one that says bad authorization device key.  Any suggestions?

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

If you have too many authorizations, you're going to need to contact Adobe and get them to raise your limit.  They will do this for you - it takes a few days (particularly since it's a weekend and then a holiday).  

Contributor
CherylAD
0 Kudos

Hi:

Yes, I found a thread where they talked about that.  I connected it to a PC and saw the (2!) digital folders and deleted them.  Then tried again ... unfortunately, it keeps ejecting my Nook! 

So, still no joy.

New User
TMak708

Thanks for this post.  I got the Nook for Christmas and tried to download a library book.  The book went right into ADE and ADE recognized the Nook but when I tried to read the book I got the User not activated error message.  I tried the directions from the link in your post and still nothing.  I then deleted ADE from the Nook AND the other Digital Editions file that was pre-loaded.  I then reconnected the Nook, drag & dropped the book and it worked right away.  Thanks.

New User
Stephanie_Ente
0 Kudos

Thanks a Ton!!  That was super helpful and well explained.

New User
dinkynaround
0 Kudos

OH WHAT A PAIN  to get this Nook to finally work!!!(hours and hours and hours)  kept saying not activated....so after reading thru your great post.  I realized the acsm file  had to be turned on in my computer, so went thru your steps in the "If you don not have the option of always use ADE to download the following steps will allow you to opt in for this"..........I,also, went to the control panel and in the lower left hand corner clicked on "turn Windows features on and off" in the window that popped up I checked "windows process activation service",   so not sure which one worked, but FINALLY was able to successfully download into the Nook,my books that were downloaded into the ADE, so went to the library again, checked out another book and it downloaded into the ADE, plugged in the Nook and it too successfully downloaded into the NOOK...(((HALLELUJAH,  praise the Lord!!!!!.)))).

just hope they come up with a much simplier way to get the library section activated for the new NOOK users...

this is what I did.......

1.  Go to Barnes and Noble  and set up an account (email address and password)

2.  Fully charge (about 4hrs) then register your Nook (using the same info as on the B and N acct so they can charge your account for any products you buy (they have to be able to talk to each other)

3.  Call your library and see what www. program you need to access the library

4.  So the the Adobe website and set up an  account and Download Adobe Digital Editions plus any other  softwear the library requires (I, also, downloaded...Adobe Reader, Overdrive media console, Adobe flash driver--maybe that is overkill)

5.  In the "setting" on the Nook...(slide the lower section to the right) fill out that registration too, I set all four of these the same...email address and password 

Be sure the acsm file  in your computer is turned on

1.Go to your librarys web site and select a book (besure it is in the  kind format you want, for me it is the epub books) and  check it out and "download" and it will go into your Adobe Digital Editions file on your computer , either in your "my documents" or on the desktop.....(((on this black ADE screen at the top where it says "library", the screen drops down and says "authorize computer"...click "finish"(I do this for each book)...I don't know if it does anything, but makes me feel better..!!!!!!

PLUG IN YOUR NOOK and open the ADE(Adobe Digital Editions) (on your desktop or in My documents) the black screen with your books listed on it

the Nook icon shoulds show on the left side ,,, click on the desired book and   hold the left side of the mouse down and drag it over to the Nook icon and release the mouse, it should immediately be in the Nook 

2. Now  Unplug  UBS cord from the Nook.....

3.  Turn on your Nook and select  "My library".   The book should be in here,scroll up or down and select, click on the book and it should open to the book cover,  so now you can read and enjoy.  Next time you open your Nook go  to "reading now" and it should be on the page that you left.

I sure hope this helps someone along their journey!!!   

New User
Stephanie_Ente
0 Kudos

Thanks for your description.  I have one problem left:  The Adobe Digital shows that I successfully dragged the library book to the nook.  However when turning on the Nook I can not find the books.  Any help???