New User
greid123
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library eBooks and non B&N eBooks

I tried all the directions and still no luck. Got anything else ?

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library eBooks and non B&N eBooks

Two thoughts:

Did you plug NOOK in before opening ADE?

Are you definitely in "Library View"?  Click on the icon that looks like books standing up together in the upper left hand corner.

If ADE let you authorize NOOK, it must have recognized it.  Odd that you can't see it.

Other than that I'm stumped.

New User
Blondie1118
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

Acck... I can get to the point where I have moved the borrowed book over to the Nook icon and I can see in ADE that it is copied to my nook, but-------when I look on the Nook itself after ejecting it from my computer (mac)  I don't see the book.

Frequent Contributor
SyJustice
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

+++when I look on the Nook itself after ejecting it from my computer (mac)  I don't see the book.+++

Where exactly are you looking for the borrowed book? I only ask, because I met a local user having a similar problem...and she just wasn't looking in the right place.   

I find mine  (and found the other person's) in LIBRARY/My Files/Digital Editions

Reader 2
lsrains99
0 Kudos

Thanks, Frog, for ALL of your help.  I find ADE to be the most archaic software in existence, reminiscent of writing computer programs in Basic and Assembly long before PC's...no one here will remember that!  

First off, is there any software to buy that replaces ADE?  especially for library books?

My newest problem is with too many authorized devices on ADE.  I really have only 1 computer and 2 readers, but both of the latter have been replaced and I had another ereader for a few days, so my huge quota of 6 is used up.  On many Adobe boards, they say Adobe never helps them, with this common issue or any other issue, and that it does no good to de-authorize a defunct ereader.  I have proved that true - it does not open up a new spot. 

Since they apparently cannot fix the latter, and seem to have no interest in increasing the number of authorizable devices, do you have any suggestions?  I am sitting here with my latest new Nook and can access none of my library books.  I de-authorized my sick Nook, trying to clear out a coveted space, so have lost everything there as well.  I assume it would be the same disaster I had a boatload of expensive purchased books in there.  Argh! 

Sorry post is so long.  After so many hours of searching for a solution, I'm a bit blurry eyed!  Thanks so much!  P.S.  I see this problem worsening, as I get more ereaders in the future, or have problems with my current ones.  It is a crying shame that ADE can ruin the entire ereading experience.  Kindest regards.

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple

Israins99-

Regardless of what random users on the adobe boards say, adobe will give you extra activations if you email their support and explain the situation.  It takes about a day.  MANY people on these boards have done it.  

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

lsrains99 wrote:

Thanks, Frog, for ALL of your help.  I find ADE to be the most archaic software in existence, reminiscent of writing computer programs in Basic and Assembly long before PC's...no one here will remember that!  

First off, is there any software to buy that replaces ADE?  especially for library books?

No, ADE is currently the only software that Overdrive uses for library books.  As the pp said, if you send Adobe an email they will increase the activiations.  It's happened to a number of people who

have reported no real issue with getting additional activiations.

Personally, the only issue I have with ADE is when I connect my Nook, it is pretty much frozen for what seems like forever.  I believe it is trying to read all the books on the Nook at that time, and since it can't recognize B&N books, it gets stuck, or it just takes a while to read and catalog them all, not sure.  I just plug it in and then do something else for 5 minutes or so.  

Reader 2
segar
0 Kudos

Can I transfer books from the sony reader library that were purchased to my nook color.  I put them on my sd card but when I try to read it tells me user not activated.  I have the reader registered and setup?

New User
Kriswill82

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has been posting on this forum.  I also had the "user not activated" error when I tried to open any lirbrary books in my documents and I was getting very frustrated. In the end all I had to do was delete the adobe.digital.editions folder in windows explorer, reregister my nook with ADE, and drag and replace the books I was trying to open and all was well.  I would never have figured it out on my own so thank you!!! 

Wordsmith
shilohMD
0 Kudos

Kriswill82 wrote:

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has been posting on this forum.  I also had the "user not activated" error when I tried to open any lirbrary books in my documents and I was getting very frustrated. In the end all I had to do was delete the adobe.digital.editions folder in windows explorer, reregister my nook with ADE, and drag and replace the books I was trying to open and all was well.  I would never have figured it out on my own so thank you!!! 

Thanks for the feedback...glad it worked out for you! :smileyhappy:

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
Correspondent
AneMailname
0 Kudos

THANK YOU!:robotvery-happy:

Worked perfectly.

“To learn to read is to light a fire; every syllable that is spelled out is a spark.” ~Victor Hugo
Contributor
Shadowcrone
0 Kudos

Thank you so much; now I don't have to throw my computer or my brand new Nook out the window . . .

SC

New User
Radlofe
0 Kudos

Thank you so much! This worked perfectly.

Contributor
Cali_ChurchGurl
0 Kudos

h2oskierc wrote:

ABthree wrote:

@03FLHT2

ADE shows my Nook's main memory as "nook" (no capital) and my microSD card as "Nook" (with a capital), as if I had two Nooks attached.  That makes it easy:  I just drag and drop my books onto the capitalized Nook, and they end up on my microSD card.

See whether it's the same for you when your Nook is plugged in and ADE is running.

To accomplish this you need to copy the two folders ADE created on your nook, called Digital Editions and .adobe-digital-editions to the root of your SD card.

Now your SD card will show up as whatever you called it when you formatted.  Mine for instance shows "nook" for my nook itself and "Nooks" for the SD card, as that is the name I gave the SD card when I formatted it before installing it to my nook.

Be sure to COPY those two folders if you want your nook's memory to show up.  If you just want the SD card, you can actually move the folders.

ENJOY! :smileyhappy:

@ABthree Thanks so much! :smileyhappy:I was experiencing the same problem. I'm not sure, but I think it was causing ADE to lock up during book transfer. This seems to have solved that problem also. Thanks again.

I've returned to my first love...Thanks Nookie!
Ephesians 3:20

New User
Pup77
0 Kudos

Thanks for the great information. To clarify, this instruction:

Find and delete the “.adobe-digital-editions file.

should actually read:

Find the ".adobe-digital-editions folder" and in that folder delete the "device" file.

After that you may even need to reload ADE then reconnect your nook in order to get the setup screen to come on and pick up your device.

New User
karatearthgirl
0 Kudos

yeah yeah yeah ive been trying to fix this problem since christmas thank you so much for the information

Contributor
Bullfam3

I can't tell you how many times this message board has saved me from HOURS of trying to find a solution!  Thanks so much, your help is invaluable.  Just switched from a PC to a Mac and ADE wasn't seeing my Nook.  After searching Adobe, etc. I thought "aha...the message board".  Had my solution in a minute :smileyhappy:  AND, thanks for keeping the instructions simple and basic. 

Reader
slgUT
0 Kudos

I was able to Setup ADE and authorize my PC; then it authorized my Nook.  When I connect the Nook, the Nook icon shows as a bookshelf in ADE.   I have been able to download library books from Overdrive into ADE.  The problem comes when I attempt to drag the book from the 'borrowed" bookshelf into the Nook.  I get the following message:  "No permission to copy document here."  Have tried and tried but cannot get around this; am very frustrated. ..can you help?

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

slgUT wrote:

I was able to Setup ADE and authorize my PC; then it authorized my Nook.  When I connect the Nook, the Nook icon shows as a bookshelf in ADE.   I have been able to download library books from Overdrive into ADE.  The problem comes when I attempt to drag the book from the 'borrowed" bookshelf into the Nook.  I get the following message:  "No permission to copy document here."  Have tried and tried but cannot get around this; am very frustrated. ..can you help?

Try dragging it from the "all books" shelf and see if that works.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Reader
slgUT
0 Kudos

I tried dragging from "All Items,"  "Borrowed Items," and "Last Read;" nothing works. I think the problems stems from the fact that the Device Assistant dialog does not pop up after authorizing ADE, but I don't know how to correct it.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 14 members 226 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: